Klipsch v. Mirage v. Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jay Foster, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade from my Cerwin Vegas and I went to a local store to check out these and we compared 3 sets of speakers.

Boston Acoustics, Klipsch Reference, and Mirage 260.

The Klipsch and the Boston sounded good (all 3 did for that matter). However, the Mirage has this imaging which tends to mask where the sound is coming from. This sounded great for music but since I watch mostly movies, I'm not sure this is for me. For example, on the rears, for the surround sound effects, it seems I would want to hear the bullets flying by my head (in Saving Private Ryan) for example versus not knowing exactly where it is coming from.

Also, even with the upgrade to the mirage, I still felt like dialogue from the center channel was hard to hear (and this is my main reason for upgrading: my vegas just don't give me the dialogue that I would like).

Any thoughts on all this?

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Well, each brand has a different type of sound. Klipsch is "in your face" forward kinda sound, and can get disturbingly loud; Mirage is more of a relaxed warm but neutral sound that envelopes you in a huge soundstage.I like the latter, which i also own.

3. Jay Foster

Hi Benihana,

Do you have the Mirages for your rear surrounds? If so, how do you like it for movies?

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I've got Bostons and I really like them for both music and movies. The center channel I have is outstanding, and with matching mains the imaging is great. I listened to the Klipsch and Mirage lines as well and did not like them as much. I felt the klipsch was too "tinny" sounding for my tastes and just prefered the Bostons. I have direct speakers for surrounds as opposed to bipoles or omnipoles or whatever mirage makes. I think bipoles (etc) would be good if you had multiple rows of seating, but I prefered the direct sound.

5. Jay Foster

Tim,

On your surrounds, you prefer the "direct" sound because you can then tell where the, for example, where the bullets are flying over your head in saving private ryan. is that what you mean?