1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch tower= DIY Center Channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Not sure if I've ever heard/seen this done on this forum, but several at the Klipsch forum have done this.

I recently converted my JBL HT to a Klipsch Legend set-up with the requisite C7 for a center channel. I was intrigued by the guys who had converted a tower into a center for even better imaging across the front, so when more scratch & dent KLF-10's showed up on e-bay I picked one up VERY cheap.

Since I have some MDF left over from my sonosub I'm set. The KLF-10 is a 2-way with (2) 10" drivers and a horn, much like the C7 which has (2) 8" drives and a horn. I'll pop out the front baffle, only held in with Liquid Nails and trace it out on the MDF. Basically I'll duplicate the C7 driver layout on the new baffle and cut/route away. There's no internal bracing, only some dampening material behind the drivers which I'll move to the new locations. Only other thing is ordering some bucking magnets from Klipsh for video shielding.

I'll probably have about $250 into it when finished. For a center channel that will do roughly 32 Hz to 20 KHz Frequency Response and handles 600 watt peaks. Plus it will blend even better with my 30's.

Any thoughts/opinions on this idea???

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Are you planning on doing exactly what HornED did with his KLF-30?? Or are you building a new box for it as well. Easiest way would be to just make a new baffle for it, exactly how HornED did his. Look for him over at the Klipsch Forum if you havn't already.

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Cam S,

Doing the same as HornEd, building a new front baffle. He already sent me a detailed e-mail with what he did. Better to go in with a little experience, even if it's someone elses. Seems VERY straightforward. Thanks...Mike

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Ya it is pretty straight forward, and he would be the man to ask. Should be a nice speaker once your done.