Klipsch Synergy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

I see alot of comments about Klipsch Reference series speakers, but seldom hear about their Synergy line. Would anybody care to comment for or against the synergy line of mains, centers, surrounds, and subs?

I ask because I own a set of Synergy speakers (SB-2 mains, SS-1 rears, SC-1 center, and KSW-12 sub) and am wondering if replacing them will yeild a signifigant improvement.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

BIG improvement! I don't like the Synergy towers, but the bookshelves that you have are nice. The RB-3 won't be a huge difference, but the RB-5 and the towers will be!

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The only thing I don't like in the Synergy line are the subwoofers. I find them to be boomy and lack a real bottom end. I know they're not expensive so they can't offer everything but I still think there is better for the money. If you replace your sub with any of the offerings from Hsu Research, Adire Audio, or SVS, I think you'll find a dramatic change in your system.

I wouldn't bother changing the rest of your system unless you plan on getting into Klipsch's Reference line(or if you like another manufacturer's line better). I've found it hard to get used to anything else other than Klipsch after owning them, all other speakers seem to lack life.

Just listen to other speakers and decide for yourself.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

"I've found it hard to get used to anything else other than Klipsch after owning them, all other speakers seem to lack life."

Yep, more and more people feel exactly the same, returning to non horn speakers is like returning to a dark era, to muddy music.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The only other hiccup besides the subs is the SB1 monitor. For some reason they stuck a cheap polymer tweeter in it which takes it a step below the rest of the line.

Same goes for the SC.5 and the SS.5, they have this tweeter plus a 4" mid/bass that isn't up to snuff.

Other than that the rest of the Synergy line is worth a look.

6. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Any speaker from the Reference line (except maybe the RB3) will be a big improvement over the Synergy line. The Ref subs are overpriced, however. Go for it and replace them if you can.

7. Joseph*K

Joseph*K Auditioning

I can't speak to the quality of the construction of the Synergy, but I can speak to my belief of the quality of the sound.

I went into my local stereo shop a few months back looking for a set of speakers for a home theater set up (90% DVD, 10% music). This stereo shop has a separate room full of speakers just as you enter the store. I auditioned some B&W, Paradigm, Klipsh, Polk, and a few others. I ended up liking the Klipsch the most. I had never heard of Klipsch before that day. The Klipsch speakers were the Synergy speakers. I started haggling with the store on pricing, thinking I was ready to make a purchase. I went up to the counter to get my final number, but I heard a home theater demo going in one of the side theater rooms.

I had to go take a peek. While the salesman was working on my numbers, I drifted over to the home theater room. This is where I met Mr. RF-3, Mr. RF-5, and Mr. RF-7. They even had an old set of Klipsh KF-30's sitting in there.

Before entering that room, I thought I liked the Synergy speakers. They sounded very good. HOWEVER, the Reference line made me forget about the Synergy speakers. All varieties of the Reference speakers sounded much better to me than the Synergy's. Granted, the reference speakers cost more than the Synergy, but the sound differential will be justified if your budget can support it.

The RF-3 has very good sound. The RF-5 is not much better. However, the RF-7 sound tremendously better (but at a cost). The Kf-30's sounded very nice, too -- these can be picked up relatively cheaply on ubid.com brand new.

The three reference center channel speakers are much different from each other, too. I did not compare the synergy side by side to the reference, but the RC-3 center channel sounded fine and similar to the synergy line. The RC-7 compared to the RC-3 was no contest (but at a price, again).

In short, I believe the reference version of Klipsh tower speakers are a lot better than the synergy. However, stay away from Klipsch subwoofers if home theater and deep movie bass are of tremendous interest to you. The reference subs are great for music (possibly one of the best), but are only good down to about 30Hz.

Oh, yeah, back to the salesman. I told him to quote me costs on the reference instead of the synergy. His costs were way too high. I started looking on the internet for pricing. What a difference! I'm a believer in supporting the local guy, but purchasing off the internet can save lots of $$$ over the local guy -- and certain internet sales places will cover the manufacturer warranty through their own shop. Depending on who you purchase from, you may or may not have to pay shipping costs for warranty work.

I still haven't purchased yet, but I know it's going to be the reference series. I'll give the local guy one more shot once I get all of my interenet prices together. We'll see how it goes...

My fingers are tired of typing. Good luck to you!

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The Synergys are good but the reference are a lot better.

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I posted a review on the Synergies 3 towers a while back.

I'd have to say that the Synergies tweeter sounds a bit harsh on the ears though they can be detailed. The driver doesn't have to move a lot to produce sound making the Klipsch speakers pretty efficient.

The reference is a pretty big jump since the highs begin to sound bright rather than harsh. I still think that the highs can fatigue the ears for music sessions but they work well with movies.

I'd would think twice before getting a Klipsch sub. I'd rather spend the $500 towards an SVS.

10. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all of your replies. You all confirmed my suspisions about my sub - and as such I will be replacing it with an SVS PCi 20-39 in about a week.

Do you think it would be wise to keep some of my current speakers, and slowly replace them with klipsch's reference line (bookshelves only - I have no room for towers)? Would mixing synergy/reference create timbre matching or other problems?

I was thinking of replacing first the center, then the mains, then the surrounds, and maybe using one of the pairs as surround back's. Is this a good idea?

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Jon, your idea will work just fine. The speakers won't be completely Timbre matched, but it shouldn't matter too much as you plan to upgrade them all eventually.

The KSW-12 is a capable sub, and is one of the better subs in it's price range (for canadians anyways). I had (and still have) a KSW-10 that is in the upstairs 2 channel system, which was replaced with my Shiva/AVA250. The KSW-10 is great for music, but doesn't have the balls needed for movies. I'm still more than happy with it as it integrates well upstairs.

12. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think it's a good idea to do it in the order you mentioned. The Reference line are more dynamic than the Synergy line. If you replace the main's first, they'll kind of drown out the sound from the center.

I got my Klipsch at a local store and got cheaper prices than what I could find online. I almost ordered from a place I think was called acousticsounddesign.com. If you make an order from them and leave a review of what you ordered on audioreview.com and mention their name in it, they'll give you free shipping on your next order. I never really looked into it since I got it locally though, you might want to check it out. I think they also give you the Klipsch five year warranty through the store.