Klipsch Synergy system 6 possible purchase???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The specs for these speakers were not listed at the link provided. However, Klipsch typically has high sensitivity ratings on their speakers. If that's the case with these, you shouldn't have any issues filling your room with sound.

[Edit]: I just checked the Klipsch site and came up with the following: SENSITIVITY: 92dB @ 1watt/1meter. I think you'll be good to go. Have you had a chance to listen to Klipsch speakers in a local showroom? For me, the Klipsch speakers have been a little "bright" - but, you have to buy what sounds good for/to you.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Kamal_K

looks good Dustin but are they as good as klipsch, I am buying klipsch because of their reputation. thank you.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The SB1 isn't bad, but I really don't think much of the .5 models. The SB1 also doesn't quite extend low enough to properly mate to a 80hz crossover (I used to own KSB1.1).

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Sound Clearing House stuff over the 4 KSB1.1 and SC1 I initially purchased.

Also the KSB1.1, 2.1 and 3.1 all shared the same tweeter I believe. But now the SB1 has a tweeter that is a step below the SC1, SB2 and SB3 (the .5 models share the same tweeter as the SB1). Something else to keep in mind.

6. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I own a pair of the Synergy 3.1s, and let me tell you their bottom end fully balances any brightness issues. I bought them as front mains, to eventually be part of a HT system. Their bass is so good that I often bypass my JBL 15" sub (by chance, the JBL crossover point is 60Hz, the 3.1's roll-off is at 50Hz). For music that has minimal sub-harmonic content, the 3.1s sound wonderfull all by themselvs.

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Kamal, don't just knock off Dustin's recommendations because of Klipsch's reputation (good or bad depending on whom you ask, though I think they're ok). The speakers he suggested use a Vifa Mid (pretty popular among the DIY crowd) as well as the Peerless Tweets (which are quite smooth and decently detailed). The only problem I could see is that the sub (either 10" suggested, especially when listened to at theater level or even at -10 db from ref) should be challenged to fill such a large room.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Very true Robert. But unless he can up the budget a few hundred more to get the Adire Rava or Hsu VTF2 in to the picture I think the DLS is his best option.

Also don't forget most of Klipsch's reputation has come from their Heritage line, the Legend and KG series and now the Reference series. The Synergy series while good, leaves a little to be desired with the lowest models in that series by my ears.

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Another sub that can also fit the roll is the AudioSource SW15 (definitely for movies, but needs to be modified to be acceptable for music), at $149.01 at ubid this should still leave a decent budget for other speakers.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Of course if he can DIY it all (I'd still buy the precut baffels though), then you can save some more money on the SCH stuff and build a great sub within a $700 budget.

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Klipsch's reputation? Has he done a search for Klipsch he might find some of my posts. hehe

I for one don't think that output is everything. What if the Synergies play loud, but hurt your ears doing so? This happened to be the case with Synergy SF-3 speakers that my friend's dad purchased. My friend said he'd take JBL Northridge over the SF-3s anyday which would also have saved some money.

$700 for 5 speakers plus sub is still pretty hard to beat, if you like the way Klipsch sounds then I'd say go for it. You may be better off holding off on the sub and using the $700 on speakers alone. Paying less than $200 on a sub for a 20x20 room might not get you the output you'll be happy with.

12. Kamal_K

From all of this I am assuming that you guys are suggesting I do not go with the klipsch synergy 6. The K05B50-Fronts are in stock but the center channel is not that poses a problem. I also take it I need a more powerful sub than the DLS 10" or will this sub suffice. I dont think I will go with the diy kit, no time to install.

13. Kamal_K

Read on

14. Kamal_K

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you are thinking about those subs, give this page a gander. Note the FAQ and install pics at the top:
    http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475
    This type of sub produces some of the best bass possible.