Klipsch Synergy System 6 or alternatives

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed C, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a set of 5 speakers for my surround setup using a Denon 3802 receiver. My listening area is quite small right now (10' x 12') however I'd like to get a set of speakers that would be good for my current area as well as a future room of approximately 15' x 15'.
    A friend of mine recommended the Klipsch Synery System 6. Anybody out there a proud owner of these speakers? Or others that would fit my needs?
    Thanks for any and all feedback.
    Edmond

2. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

Just last week I purchased a pair of Klipsch RF-3's, an RC-3 center, and two pair of RS-3's for side and rear surrounds. Also I have a 3802 that will hopefully be arriving from New York today.
    I spent a lot of time at my local high end audio store listening to different speaker sets, and I decided on the Klipsch reference series. They sound very nice in my theater setup, even with my current Pro Logic receiver.
    You have to go and listen to a few different makes and models before you buy though. I've learned over the last few weeks that speakers can't be purchased completely on the advice of others.
    I picked up all seven speakers for just under $1500, and that was a huge savings off the individual prices they had listed. I also spent my money with the guy who took the time to audition all the speakers I was interested in too.
    You may want to take a listen to the M&K K-5's. Nice little speakers from a good heritage, and a comfortable price.
    I would have bought the receiver locally too, but they weren't expecting to get them in for a few weeks, and when I get the bug to buy I want it now.
    Have fun investigating your choice for new speakers.
    By the way, my room size is only 12'x 13', and I think the Klipsch speakers fill it beautifully.
    [Edited last by Mike Sheahan on August 07, 2001 at 12:48 AM]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I have what could be considered a Synergy System 6 I guess. I have 2 sets of KSB1.1 (they use SB1 now, for the mains) monitors and a SC1 center (I think its the SC.5 and SS.5 for surrounds now, which are useless). I mated those with a Paradigm PDR10 sub, but now have a Adire Tempest in a 260L sonotube tuned to just under 17hz.
    For home theatre I think the Synergy 6 is great (especially when mated with a good sub). Although I found the KSW10 sub lacking when I auditioned it, so I went with a PDR10 instead (great 10" sub for the cost if you are in Canada). The Tempest has taken my home theater audio to a whole other level though.
    They are very clear and can pack a lot of punch with very little power applied. With the 5.1 tracks they create a good sound stage. Gun shots and all the little neuances of the better movie sound tracks can become quite immersive.
    For music, imaging is pretty good and the sound stage is ok (without the 5.1 tracks they don't provide a lot of depth). And that tractrix horn tweeter does start to get to me after about 40-60 minutes of listening at moderate levels.
    I think a 3801 is a little over kill for the system 6. I'd strongly recommend stepping up to the Reference line from Klipsch since they have tamed the horn in those a fair bit and would be better suited to the price range of your receiver. If you want to keep the costs lower then check out the Paradigm Monitor line or the PSB Image line.

4. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

well,I am using sb-1 for rears,sf-2 for mains and sc-1 for center with an svs 25-35cs.
    I love the setup,total paid,including the sub was around $1400.I currently have it setup in my bedroom.Partly because of better light control and partly because my 36" tv is on the fritz and I did not want to move it and my 27" so the 27" stayed in the bedroom and got the speakers.
    The bedroom is 12x16 and the room seems just perfect for the speakers.So perfect that I am getting a tv to fit between my 2 closet doors(probably a toshiba 50h80)and I will just use the bedroom from here on.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.I cannot help but reccomend the sf-2 or even the sf-1 for mains,the 2's have dual 6 1/2 driver and sound fantabouls with movies and music..moreso with music now that they are good and broke in.
    ------------------

5. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Ed C,
    Check out this setup... it is like new, great quality and really rocks! It exhibits a very neutral sound and would be perfect for a small to medium size room. This setup with my Denon 3801 was a terrific match indeed! http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002141.html
    This system is a very worthy contender and hard to beat for the price. Good Luck in whatever you choose!
    Regards,
    Glenn
    [Edited last by Glenn Baumann on August 07, 2001 at 12:24 PM]

6. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Based on the feedback I've received so far, I think I'll wait on the System 6. Instead, I've decided to take a bit more time listening to different alternatives.
    I tried out a B&W setup today that I really liked.
    B&W DM 303 surrounds
    B&W LCR 3 center
    B&W ASW 500 sub
    Very nice, but also more expensive.
    I'll do some more research into Glenn's system as well.
    Thanks,
    Edmond

7. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

You're going to love that 3802.
    Mine arrived this evening, and it is more than I expected.
    I got it setup nice and quick with the very helpful on screen display, then took it out for a run with the DTS ES versions of The Haunting, and Gladiator.
    Being my first upgrade from a Pro Logic receiver, I was floored at how full the room was with sound. The rear surrounds so subtly envelope you with ambiance that its like watching from inside the film.