1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch Synergy SF2s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

sorry for such a basic question--but I am new to this. I am getting a home theater set up and am considering these speakers as my towers. My room is about 20 by 20 with open walls on 2 sides to rest of house. Are these good speakers for the price? I have a Yamaha SW150 double 8 inch subwoofer--do you think this sub will be sufficient with these speakers or should I go with a 10 inch sub? Thanks!

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Hi Jeff,

The Klipsch Synergy series are nice speakers. However, if you like the Klipsch sound I would consider saving a little money and purchasing the more popular RB-5 or RF-3 Reference models, which usually sell for $550-750. They are apparently a significant step up in quality, and I can say from experience that the RB-5 is a really good sounding speaker. The difference between those two is that the RB-5 has limited bass response and lower sensitivity, and has a very nice wood finish; the RF-3 is a larger tower and costs the same, but is only available in black vinyl.

The subwoofer you have is most likely not powerful enough to play cleanly at higher levels. Additionally, it probably has trouble making deeper bass and may not sound great for music. Depending on your budget and movie/music preferences, I'll have to again recommend to hold off on purchasing a subwoofer for now, until you can purchase a higher quality one. With the Klipsch speakers I have a feeling the 8" Yamaha would detract from the experience.

I guess I answered your questions wrong. Yes, the Klipsch speakers are very good (if you like their different tone). Yes, the Yamaha subwoofer will work fine. However, I just think a little more money could go a lot farther in terms of sound.

It depends what you want - how much money do you think you can spend and what kind of sound are you looking for?

3. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

OK I am not wed to the Klipsch's. And I have enough cash for around a $1000-$1200 for subwoofer, 2 towers and center. Any recommendations? I intend to get it all from the local Sound Advice store as well as my rear projecton TV. I really don't want to internet shop--I prefer to buy locally and from a hi fi store. Thanks!

Also I have read in several posts about Klipsch's "sound" and "efficiency", hiss etc. DO I need a high quality receiver with these speakers? Or should I seek another brand?

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I guess we would need some more info to "suggest" a speaker in your budget thats right for you.
    What other brands can you listen to locally. See what is available, go listen, and then maybe see what others have to say about said speaker. You have to remember when you do audition a speaker, that they may not be running the same equipment as you, and may sound different when hooked to your equipment. I was able to audition my speakers with the same model receiver I had, so I knew (basically) what it was going to sound like when I got 'em home.
    As far as the Klipsch recommendations go, I can say I do have the RF-3II with an entry level Denon receiever, very loud/efficient speaker. You will hear the term "bright" a lot with Klipsch but I call it "accurate" And for a room that large I bet they would shine. I just did the "hiss" test and yes, it does hiss when I turn it up with no source playing. Interesting I would of never known had no one said anything [​IMG] Big deal? No.
    The matching center would be an RC-3II (which I don't have yet) but BenK (fellow HTF'er) says its big step up from the synergy line center(which I have & he had)
    As far as the sub, I would buy the mains & center first, then see if an upgrade is needed.

Forgot to ask, what kind of receiver do you have???

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

May I suggest giving JBL Studio series a listen? The S26 and S38s are favorites and the Northridge line isn't that bad either.

IMO, The Klipsch SF2s have highs that can get harsh at moderate levels, and vocals can sound a bit grainy/filtered. I'd definitly get RF3s instead of the synergy line, but even RF3s can tend to sound a bit bright.

I would first try out the Yamaha sub as it has some impressive output for the size. Then later, when you feel the need for more bass, get a big sub. This means you'll have a bigger budget for the 2 speakers and center.

6. Michael R Price

"Even RF-3's can tend to sound a bit bright."

A bit? The Klipsch speakers, relative to most others, have a real abundance of on-axis high frequency output. So, if you listen at close distances with the speakers pointing right at you, they might not be a good idea. And most low cost receivers could sound pretty harsh (in my experience a good quality amplifier gets rid of almost all of that harshness). I would look for one known to have very good sound quality, "warmer" I guess; power is not an issue. 20-50 watts will drive the RF-3s to reference levels; they are 94db efficient. So be careful in choosing a receiver, and try to listen to it connected to the Klipsch speakers before purchasing.

Try some speakers other than Klipsch, definitely. That sound may not be for you.

At your budget Jeff I would recommend buying the RF-3s and RC-3 or similar class speakers. Hold on to the Yamaha subwoofer for now, and if you want better quality bass figure on eventually spending $500-800 for a worthwhile subwoofer upgrade.

7. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

I was looking at the klipsch reference as well. However, budget is a little low for separates. How would these receivers rate as far as warmness. Sony strda2es, Marantz 6300, Kenwood 6070, Pioneer elite, or Harman Kardon 520. Thanks.

8. Michael R Price

Luke,

I am afraid I am not familiar with any of those receivers but I am sure others will comment. You could consider buying a used 2-channel amp, even a tube amp, for maybe $100-150 that would probably sound better than those receivers. However if music performance is less of a priority, those receivers will do fine. Rumor has it the RF-3 is somehow not as sensitive to amplifier quality variations as some of the others; maybe it has a flat impedance, or slightly less treble, I don't know.

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I havn't heard all of them but based on assumption:

Harman Kardon 520
    Pioneer elite
    Marantz 6300
    Sony strda2es
    Kenwood 6070

The HK 520 should do pretty well with music.