Klipsch surrounds for 7.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

For my primary 5.1 setup, I am going with Klipsch Reference Series (R*-3II) all around, coupled with a Denon 3802. As the Denon has 7 channels of amplification, I would like to add two more rears so I can get the benefit of DTS-ES. My question is, should I simply add two more RS-3IIs to the backwall, in addition to the primary sidewall ones, or, should I purchase two RB-3 bookshelf speakers for the backwall? Thank you for the help!

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Tom,

I would probably just stick to the RB-3 bookshelf speakers for back surrounds. The activity for the back surrounds is very limited. The back surrounds are good for ambient sound and gives you an awesome wraparound fell, but I wouldn't go tower speakers for the rear. Plus it might make your room look crowded in the back. But if you have the space and money then go all out. I just think you could save the extra money and look into maybe getting a SACD/DVD-Audio player or something else to add to your system. Just IMHO.

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Tom, not to give you conflicting advise from the post above and try to confuse you, but get a diffuse surround just as will be on your side wall for rear surrounds for movies. Then maybe 6 months or so down the road, you can get a pair of bookshelf sized direct radiators to put in the rear corners on stands at ear level angled in and switch your Denon 3802's rear amp power over to them when you eventually start to get into 5.1 music sources such as SACD/DVD audio. That's the beauty of the 3802. You can hook up 9 total speakers to it, 1 pair of side surrounds in addition to 2 different pairs in the rear and be able to reroute the receiver's power between the 2 back pairs depending on what you need them for, movies or music. It gives you the option to have the best of both worlds for movies and music with no compromises (other than the additional expense of 2 more speakers). Although, I guess you could do this on any amp or receiver with a speaker selector set up though.
    There is an article you can read for yourself at hometheatermag.com dealing with this very subject, and the absolute least favorable option out of all of them was having a pair of direct radiating speakers for movies in the center of the rear wall. They tested a panel of 4 or 5 people in every possible configuration for movies. Both pairs dipole/bipole, both pairs direct radiators, side direct with rear bipole/dipole, and side bipole/dipole with rear direct. Check out the article for yourself.
    Or, you could go ahead and get the regular bookshelf direct radiators now, and then get another pair of the diffuse Klipsch surrounds later.