What's new

Klipsch surround sound decoder/preamp (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed Klipsch has released this surround sound decoder/preamp. Only $170.00. Aragon technology on the cheap? Click Link Removed for the complete info.
Link Removed

Nick V

Second Unit
That's their Promedia decoder to be used in conjunction with the promedia (computer) speakers.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Looks like it can be used with any power amp, according to the on-line owner's manual.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, this device is very interesting.

If one has a high quality, two channel preamp with Home Theater pass-through capabilities, one could use this device to add home theater capability to the system on the cheap. Not counting the extra channels of amplification and speakers, of course.

I'm really intrigued by the possibilities of this thing. From the owner's manual, it DOES look like it has the six RCA outputs necessary for such an arrangement. Now I wouldn't expect the sound quality or flexibility to be up there with the Rotel 1066 or Outlaw 950 - but for $169 who's complaining?

For those of us who place a high priority on two channel music listening, and for which DVD and TV watching are no more than occasional diversions, this device makes a lot of financial sense.

Cary

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I e-mailed Klipsch about the DD5.1 being a stand-alone sound sound pre-amp for conventional HT equipment, so that's see what they say. The DD5.1 reminds of the Audio Alchemy DLC Line Controller and the (now defunct) Chase Technologies PLC (I believe PLC stands for Passive Line Controller). Both were low cost line-level pre-amp that received critical praise for their performance.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It looks attractive, but I doubt it would sound very good. It's just available to those who want to use the Promedia computer speakers to decode 5.1 digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks