What's new

Klipsch sub mysteriously down (1 Viewer)

pantomime horse

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
A friend of mine has a Klipsch reference series speaker set. The sub, an RW12D, mysteriously stopped working. It had been working for the 1.5 to 2 years he's had it. He visually checked the fuse and it appeared to be darkened at one end. The other odd thing, which he cannot account for, was that the audio cable that was plugged into the speaker was unplugged somehow before he even checked the fuse. The speaker is in a place where the cable wouldn't get inadvertently tripped over by anyone or anything. He did replace the fuse now with a new one (same model as previous fuse). He has spoken with tech support and they suggested he replace the fuse.

Unit does not appear to turn on as it displays nothing and the little screen does not light up.

I know that it is possible to get replacement parts, but is it worth it? Even if we do find out what went wrong? It's a pricey sub so he'd rather fix than replace.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Could be the amp or power supply. If it remotely turns on via a signal sent from the receiver, the receiver could have a problem. Or the sub might have been driven severely into clipping and the driver is blown. Since the screen does not light up, I would almost rule the last one out.

pantomime horse

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the reply. I had told him that it could be the amp, but I am no expert when it comes to subwoofers.

Is there anything we can do to diagnose this? Even to rule out one of the two potential causes?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Since the fuse was darkened at one end, that points to a possible power spike (or possibly even a lightning strike) which might have caused more extensive damage than the fuse itself.

His best bet would be to take it to an authorized Klipsch repair facility or dealer who can send it off for diagnosis and repair.

Jasonp31

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Unplug the power cable and let it sit for a few minutes. Plug it back in.

If it still doesn't work, call an authorized repair shop if under warranty and/or noone you know is electrically savvy.

klipschgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Amy
Did you friend call us back with the results of changing the fuse? (I work at Klipsch, fyi...) That subwoofer is definitely worth fixing!

pantomime horse

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the replies.

The fuse he replaced it with went out immediately upon the sub being switched on. It was darkened as well. I helped him remove the board yesterday so he can send it off to be repaired.

I'll have an update, sometime down the road after it is repaired to let you know how that goes. He does like the subwoofer and repairing it is less expensive than buying a new sub. I drove him to an authorized dealer, not of Klipsch speakers but of Paradigm, and showed him the DSP-3200, but that's not a real option unless his Klipsch ends up going out on him again after it is repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks