Klipsch Sub-12 or NEW Definitive Tech Pro Sub 1000TL

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MiguelP, May 3, 2006.

1. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum

I am another audiophiler freak! But I can't seem to decide which subwoofer to get.

I'm on a tight budget so let me get to the point I'm deciding if I want to get a Klipsch Synergy III Sub-12 or the new Definitive Technology Pro Sub 1000TL

The sub-12 is rated at 300-watts and peak power is 650 watts. [email protected]
    Down-firing 12-inch and rear firing vented port. Bash Amplifier design and frequency response is 24Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB

Def Tech Pro Sub 1000tl sports the same watts I'm not sure what the peak power it even sports the same cabinet design. Has SuperCube Derived Technology and frequency response is 18hz-150hz +/- 3dB
    long-throw 10-incher front firing and 10-inch passive radiator down-firing.

I'm the kind of guy who looks at the specs,but i know specs varies. It looksl ike the Def Tech plays lower,but its too new to even know the what the sub is capable of. In your guys opinions which sub is better for the money, peformance and quality? Thank you

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I haven't heard anything about that Def Tech sub, but the specs are certainly good. I would personally drop the Klipsch from consideration and add the SVS PB-10 which is right in your price range.

If your primary goal is great music listening, then perhaps the Klipsch would be fine. For movies, though, too many go down well below 30Hz now to pass up great subs that are in the same price range that can get a half octave lower.

3. MiguelP

Yea the guy from Def Tech told me to keep it a secret,but eventually everyone will know about it. Its due later this June and its going to cost around 499.99 dollars.

I've been hearing upt this SVS PB-10 subwoofer is it that great???? I'll look into it though since I like taking peoples opinions. So you think the klipsch will sound a little too shallow for movies? I've heard the sub myself its pretty intense. I was 140 meters away and I still hear and feel the bass extensions. Think of it this way, I was at best buy I was on the other side of the store and the Klipsch was on the other side of the store, I thought it was one of the car audio's,but it was the Klipsch. Then again I'm not sure if I want something that powerful I also heard of the Mirage S12 is that a good subwoofer for 400 dollars?

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yes, very good . . . if you can get one. They've been back ordered at that price for a long time. The waiting list has gotten pretty crazy.

I don't know about the Def Tech since I've never really heard much about it, but I feel pretty confident that you'd be better off with any of the other three mentioned above the Klipsch. Don't get me wrong, the Klipsch is a good subwoofer, it just doesn't have the extension that the others have in the same price range.

5. MiguelP

I was looking at vanns.com for one,but I still need more time to actually go shopping around for a good subwoofer around 400-500 dollar price range. I want one though!!!!

Ok I'll take Klipsch out of my list and keep the rest,but anymore recommendations?

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, vanns is the only place I know of that you can get the Mirage for $400. But it's a pre-order and it's been going on for a couple months now. The list is pretty long and there's really no telling when you'd actually get one.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    PB-10 would be my choice. It IS a great sub in that price range.

8. MiguelP

aww man dat bitez! I can't wait any longer I need a subwoofer already, my def tech 200tl cannot handle,but it does play really low! upper bass lacks though.

I hope the pb-10 has extreme bass extensions, good spl and how low does it play by the way?

sHOULD i seriouslly drop the others and switch over to svs? is it that freaking awesome???? i need more details on why I should get one. i need more opinions!

sHOULD i seriouslly drop the others and switch over to svs? is it that freaking awesome???? i need more details on why I should get one. i need more opinions!

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What size is your room? If your budget is strictly below $500, then the PB-10 is going to be very difficult to beat. The S12 would probably give it a run for it's money since it formerly retailed for $700, but it's on pre-order as mentioned above.

If your room is too big it will not be "awesome" due to simple physics. However, if you have a relatively small, sealed room it should do the job very well.

10. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Beware of using published specs for comparison purposes. DefTech seems to be especially optimistic with their published specs. Go dig through the Sound & Vision Magazine equipment review archives to see objective measurements. Some time in the past year, Nousaine did a shootout between 6? subs in the

11. MiguelP

My living room is about 1200sq ft wide its a pretty big living room. As specs go I know I shouldn't rely on specs until I actually take the subwoofer home and see how it will sound in my living room. I don't think the pb-10 will be enough to fill up my living room and I dont want to spend about 699 for the higher version. Def tech subwoofers are pretty powerful thier supercube line kick ass especially thier SuperCube Trinity can max about 126dB at 19hz!! Ive heard it myself,but i dont have 3999 dollars to spend lol! But yea anymore recommendations? 400-500 dollar sub range??????

12. MiguelP

And yea the PB-10 doesnt even have anykind of high-filter or low filter inputs or outputs. Just phases and crossovers how cheap is that? I understand the sub kicks ass,but i need those options becuase sometimes I run my subwoofers on high filter

13. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no sub in the $400-$500 price range that is going to really fill that room with the powerful bass it sounds like you're looking for.

If you can increase your budget a little, the SVS PB-12NSD would probably get you a little close and include the features you need.

14. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Miguel,

you're quoting DefTech marketing speak when you say the SuperCube Trinity does 126db @ 19hz. They don't qualify how that measurement was achieved. A single sealed 12" NHT1259 driver with only 145 watts can produce 120db @ 20hz...measured 2.5" from the dust cap. With a pair, I can claim 126db as well.

I'm not trying to pick on DefTech b/c most manufacturers play the specs game to some extent. However, DefTech does appear to stretch the truth more than most, as shown by the objective measurements done by Nousaine for Sound&Vision, among others when compared to DefTech's published specs. I haven't listened to DefTech designs in a long time, but I did like their BP series stuff in the mid-late 1990s...even then, they claimed their 6.5" woofers as having a lowend cutoff of 20hz.

What are you trying to say here? I'm assuming you mean high-level and low-level inputs, not filters. The PB-10 does have a low level input. Since every DD/DTS receiver produced has a line level subwoofer output and a number of even the cheapest models now come with adjustable crossover frequencies, I think most consumers appreciate SVS saving mfg costs on unneeded or redundant features. What advantages do you find when using a high-level input?

As Seth said, if you really need to fill a 1200 square foot room, it's doubtful you'll find anything adequate in the $500 range. What are the actual dimensions of this space? How far is the main listening position going to be from the sub?

-wbs

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My room is very large and the PB-10 still did quite well, though it wasn't quite enough. The ONLY way you are going to get more bass in a large room at $500 pretty much is to build it yourself. You might want to step up a level and get the 25-31PCi which will give you less extension but more output and it has the features you are looking for, for just $50 more.

16. MiguelP

I've raised my budget to at least 800 dollars and I'm thinking about getting the cylinder versions of the SVS I heard they can rock!

17. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

A 25-31+ or B stock 20-39+ will fit your budget and provide dynamic bass. But if your room is > 3500^3, it still won't be enough. Better put it nearfield. 1200sqft. X 8 = 9600^3...very large room.