Klipsch speakers with horns instead of tweeters....What's better?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Anthony Chiu, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

I've never heard the sound of speakers with horns instead of tweeters. I see that the Klipsch speakers in have them.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having horn tweeters?

2. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

3. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

They have tweeters, just like other speakers, but they use the mechanical amplification of the horn to make the job of the tweeter a lot less stressful.

Some people think that this is not an advantage, but I disagree. I hardly like a speaker that do not use horns. The sound is IMO more real and palpable.

4. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

You do realize that I ask because the mid-priced Klipsch-lineup uses horn tweeters.

I like what I'm hearing from Klipsch. I'm just not sure what sized speakers I need.
    The quintets are "cute", but my room is 16x15.
    Any suggestions?

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I like even the smallest Synergy bookshelves better than the Quintets. I would say only do quintets if you are doing a 7.1 system and get the Synergy bookshelves for the front two channels, or only do the Quintets in a 5.1 system if you want to hang them from the walls.

6. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

Just be aware that there are two varities of "horn" tweeters. A traditional (and best sound/quality) one will make use of a compression driver to drive the horn. The lower end Kilpsch and a lot of others use a conventional dome tweeter driver in back of a horn. This arrangement does not have nearly the efficiency or all the advantages of a compression driver. When they do this, the "horn" is really more of a "waveguide" than a horn. The higher end Klipsch speakers use actual compression drivers, as do all professional horn systems.