What's new

Klipsch speakers with horns instead of tweeters....What's better? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Chiu

Agent
I've never heard the sound of speakers with horns instead of tweeters. I see that the Klipsch speakers in have them.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having horn tweeters?

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having horn tweeters?
The advantage of having horn tweeters (or midrange, or bass-reflex, for that matter) is that they sound really, really good.

More specifically, you get less distortion and greater sensitivity, but you really need them being run by a quality amplifier to get the best use out of them.

Many horn-dogs like tubes. I prefer solid state, but quality... but that's a subject for the amp forum...

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
They have tweeters, just like other speakers, but they use the mechanical amplification of the horn to make the job of the tweeter a lot less stressful.

Some people think that this is not an advantage, but I disagree. I hardly like a speaker that do not use horns. The sound is IMO more real and palpable.

Anthony Chiu

Agent
You do realize that I ask because the mid-priced Klipsch-lineup uses horn tweeters.

I like what I'm hearing from Klipsch. I'm just not sure what sized speakers I need.
The quintets are "cute", but my room is 16x15.
Any suggestions?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I like even the smallest Synergy bookshelves better than the Quintets. I would say only do quintets if you are doing a 7.1 system and get the Synergy bookshelves for the front two channels, or only do the Quintets in a 5.1 system if you want to hang them from the walls.

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
Just be aware that there are two varities of "horn" tweeters. A traditional (and best sound/quality) one will make use of a compression driver to drive the horn. The lower end Kilpsch and a lot of others use a conventional dome tweeter driver in back of a horn. This arrangement does not have nearly the efficiency or all the advantages of a compression driver. When they do this, the "horn" is really more of a "waveguide" than a horn. The higher end Klipsch speakers use actual compression drivers, as do all professional horn systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks