Klipsch speakers to match Pioneer VSX-914

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Okwui, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Okwui

Okwui Auditioning

Hi,

I just got the Pioneer VSX-914K receiver to help start my first HT. Decided on going with the Klipsch Reference series speakers but not sure exactly how much speaker the receiver can handle (heard bad things about underpowering the speakers and blowing them out).

My initial leaning is towards the Cinema 10 series with 4 RSX-5s, the RCX-4 and the RW-10 sub. So my question is twofold:

1) The satellites (and center) are rated at 75W continuous/300W peak. The receiver is rated 110W x 6 so it should be fine but I've read that the 110W isn't actually what goes to each speaker when they're all running. Can someone help me clarify what the receiver power rating really means for those speakers? Do I need to step down to the RSX-4s (50W/200W)?

2) Second, the room I'm trying to fill is about 17' x 18' with 11' ceilings and opens up into a hallway (i.e. lots of airspace). Is there anything I could get on that receiver that will "fill" that kind of space? For example, I don't think I could get the RF-25s floor speakers (125W cont./500W peak) to replace the front satellites. Or could I?

Thanks much. Appreciate any help I can get.

2. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

The 914 will have no problem powering the RF-25s or even the RF-35s. Listen to the entire reference line and buy the ones that you like best...the 914 has plenty of power.

3. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

The link below will take you to a list of articles on speakers and related topics including power handling and sensitivity (most Klipsch speakers for example have a high sensitivity rating and require little power to drive them to high volume levels):

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...aker_Articles/

Hope this helps...

4. Okwui

Okwui Auditioning

Thanks for the advice (the ecoustics page was also really helpful). Taking your response to mean that the high sensitivity means that I should never have to turn the volume high enough to do damage to the speakers (though theoretically, it might be possible). That seem right?

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Well I'm no expert on any of this, but it's my opinion that you would damage your ears before the speakers...but I'm not making any guarantees!

If you have specific questions about Klipsch speakers you might want to try the forum over at their site:

http://www.klipsch.com/

You could send an inquiry directly to Klipsch at their site as well...it might put your mind at ease.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting and how you like your new system.