klipsch setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterN, Oct 8, 2003.

1. PeterN

PeterN Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about putting together a Klipsch setup consisting of:

Klipsch RB-25 Bookshelves
    Klipsch RC-25 Center
    Klipsch RS-25 Surrounds
    Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer

Just curious to see if anyone else here uses a setup like this? What would be a good match receiver wise? Right now, I estimated about $1k into the speakers (w/o shipping) and would like to keep the receiver at around $500. I really don't have any requirements besides the regulars that would most likely be included in that price range anyways.

Any comments about the speakers or receiver would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I love Klipsch so I like the setup you suggested, everything besides the subwoofer. The Klipsch Synergy series subwoofers are a little boomy, most people will agree they aren't very defined, but they do reproduce good for music and movies, just not the best.

If you want a better sub, look at the new RW line they offer, the RW-10 would probably suit your needs better, or prehaps just a better subwoofer from another company. SVS would be a good option if you want alot of defined bass, but you're not going to get away cheap.

If you are looking for a reciever definantly go with a Harman/Kardon... I don't think you can get much better than HK in any "reciever" range unless you go with seperates. HK will offer the most amount of "true power" and not just paper specs, and there features are just unmatched I think. Since there new line just came out you should be able to find the AVR-325 or the AVR-525 for around $500 or so.

3. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I am running Reference3's all around and i love them, but I am looking to get rid of my KSW12 since it's too boomy.. looking to buy myself an SVS.

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

How much are those RB-25's? If you don't mind me butting in, did you see a price on the RF-15 floorstanders? The only Klipsch dealer around me is quite some distance away, this may save me a trip. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Lee

5. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

6. ChrisLazarko

I don't know how prices match with those other places but I buy my HT equipment from a place called Soundcity. www.soundcity.com they offer some great products, I don't know how there prices are on Klipsch speakers though, I didn't buy mine there.

7. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Nor I. I buy my Klipsch speakers from Goodguys. The only things I buy from sites like those are component racks, Monster Power units, cables, and a SVHS VCR.

8. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Yeah, I buy all my major pieces from a shop. Does anyone know the prices of the RB-25 and RF-15 authorized? I think I saw an MSRP on the RB-25 at $400, but wasn't sure if that was a pair or each. No clue on the floorstander though.

While I'm here, do these horns match up badly with a Yammie receiver?

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Unless the sound of Yamahas has changed in the last couple of years, I'd personally stay clear of Sony, Yamaha, and Onkyo with Klipsch. I'd look first toward companies like Denon, Harman Kardon, and, if it's not too expensive, Rotel or perhaps Pioneer ES. These companies have a proven track record of working more nicely with Klipsch.

10. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

DanaA,you are correct.

11. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Retail for the RF-15's are $299.99 each, and for the RF-25's $399.99 each from Goodguys, an authorized dealer. I used to have a Yammy receiver, but I sold it before I got my Klipsch speakers. As far as I have heard and been told, the Yamaha's are known to be relatively crisp and bright in their sound, especially when compared to a "warm" denon or "neutral" pioneer elite. Since Klipsch speakers are relatively forward, they might might sound a tad too in-your-face when paired with Yamaha. They might not though...and you could always turn down the treble.

12. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I've currently got a Yamaha receiver driving a Klipsch setup (mains: Forte II, center: Academy, rears: RS3, sub: SVS 20-39PCi). I'm counting the days to when I pick up my new Rotel equipment. I've found the Yamaha to be too bright with Klipsch and that's saying something because I've always preferred my system to lean to the bright side.

I'd go with Rotel or Denon.

13. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Thanks Nicholas,

I'm just going to have to try them out. I tend to like it when a hi-hat sounds like it will rip my head off, so it may be a good combo for me. [​IMG]

Update: Interesting Jim. I have already purchased the Yammie receiver and am very pleased with it thus far. I had it hooked up to my old CV towers and was pleased given the speakers. Now I'm running my Dad's old Infinity bookshelves (silk tweeter) and really am happy with the sound I get now. But I think I could get slightly better, plus I need the full surround sound anyhow. So I'm trying to find a pair of bookshelves for mains less than $500 and front ported. I'm looking at the Klipsch RB-25, B&W 601 S3, and Energy C-3. Also for kicks, I'm looking into Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 towers and also maybe Swan Diva 4.1 towers. I get more confused by the day. [​IMG]

14. ChrisLazarko

Try a Hamran/Kardon reciever with the Klipsch. I chose them over everything in my decision. It was a neutral sound to me, so it was nice because everything plays well together. The speakers do not get harsh either with the HK as I have noticed with Yamaha.

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Interesting Jim. I have already purchased the Yammie receiver and am very pleased with it thus far.

16. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Sounds good Jim. A Klipsch Reference setup looks like my best bet right now. They meet all of my criteria except for the fact that they may or may not be too bright for me. I'll just have to make sure I can bring them home and listen to them for a while and return them if need be. I first need to get my self a demo CD ready. Thanks for the help.