Klipsch Set Up for Home ? Opions Please.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian Lachow, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Brian Lachow

Brian Lachow Auditioning

I have been searching for a good set of speakers more for Home Theatre than just music.

I've found the following and would like some opinions.

My choices I've narrowed the field down to are:

1. JBL E90's
    2. Klipsch RF-35
    or
    3. Athena's

Now I am partial to the Klipsch even though they are the most expensive I've heard their computer speakers on display and they regular ones at Best Buy and they really sound amazing so I assume the Reference series should be even better.

This was/is my set up idea for the Klipsh:
    2xRF-35
    1xRW-12
    1XRC-35
    2XRS-35

What do you guys think?

I'm a noob when it comes to this and have only learned from online and from best buy and circuit city...oh and one high end store that told me that speakers from American companies are actually the best.

Oh, one last thing I learned...BOSE ? Not impressed.

Thanks

--bml

2. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

American speakers are the best ? That's a pretty bold statement. Canada makes some kick ass speakers too, I think our governemt even has a Loud-Speaker Research department [​IMG].

3. Brian Lachow

Brian Lachow Auditioning

Hey...I'm quoting someone.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree w/ what a saleperson told me.

Thanks for the info...

Outside of national pride - does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks

--bml

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think you're looking at two completely different classes of speakers. The Athenas, JBL's, and the Klipsch Synergy series are sold at BestBuy because they are all the low-end speakers for the those brands. The Klipsch reference should be compared to other speakers in their class -- look at Paradigms and some low-end B&W. Be sure to listen to the Klipsch first as they have a very unique sound that many people do not like. This uniqueness is not very apparent in their Synergy series at BestBuy, so make sure to listen first.

The Klipsch are great speakers, just not for everyone. Look at some others in that same price range before making any final decisions.

5. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

I second the Klipsch (or is that third), but I would describe the sound as "live" as compared to others. Depends alot on those funny looking things on the side of your head.
    [​IMG]

6. Brian Lachow

Brian Lachow Auditioning

Thanks for all the info so far.

Let me throw another curve ball.

I kept on reading and if I spend the additional cash

Will I be completely amazed and shocked if I spend $2k
    and get an AXIOM set up?

Remember my biggest thing is Home Theatre, I like to listen to music, but I not only want to enjoy the movie...I want to feel like I'm in the movie.

Feedback please!!

Thanks again

--bml

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The Axioms are certainly something to consider, but honestly the first thing you should do is get out there and get a feel for the sound you're looking for. Go listen to the Klipsch reference, B&W 600 series, and some Paradigms then come back with which you liked and maybe some people can tell you how your choice compares to the different on-line options. For instance, if you really like the Klipsch the best I seriously doubt the Axioms would be your cup-of-tea. For that $2000 you could pick up (2) B&W 603's, (1) B&W LCR600, and (2) B&W 602's which would make a great system. I'm not saying that's the best for you, but don't assume that package deal with Axiom is the best game in town.

8. JasonF

JasonF Agent

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Be careful if you are on a budget. I started with a $800 budget including a receiver. Wouldn't you know it I somehow ended up spending $2k. I started by looking at some of the lower end infinity's and Polks. They were ok, but I fell in love with Klipsch. I bought the RF-35's, a RC-35, and a pair of RCR-5 for the rear ceiling. With the HK avr325 receiver I really like the sound. So Klipsch gets a big thumbs up from me. Oh yeah... I'm still waiting for the cash for a svs. Good luck.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

After deciding to give the Klipsch reference line a demo for a few weeks I decided to go with them. I was expecting them to be much harsher than what I perceived them to be. I wound up with the RB-75s, RC-7 and the RB-35s teamed up with SVS. When I tried out the 35 center I thought it was a very capable speaker also.

It all comes down to what works for you. As mentioned in a earlier post the B&Ws sound great to my ears also (I used to own them) but maybe not for you? You should try to listen to every thing that you can and then reduce it down to a very short list.

Good luck Brian.