What's new

Klipsch RW12d or SUB10 (1 Viewer)

terryb4471

Auditioning
Real Name
terry
I'm looking for help. Looking at the Klipsch RW12d at 279.99 or the SUB10 169.99. I have the Quintet series speakers and need a subwoofer. Is it worth the extra 100 for the RW12D?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
terryb4471 said:
I'm looking for help. Looking at the Klipsch RW12d at 279.99 or the SUB10 169.99. I have the Quintet series speakers and need a subwoofer. Is it worth the extra 100 for the RW12D?
Most versions of the quintets start rolling off around 200hz and should be crossed over no lower than 150hz. I'd guess both klipsch woofs will extend up that far although I don't recall seeing measurements posted that verify it. So the question becomes one of output expectations. I'd say the larger the room and/or the louder you prefer your volume levels on demanding source material the more likely you'll benefit from the larger RW12. Tom V.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll ask another question... What subwoofer do you have now? Not like about it? The reason I ask...is maybe you are asking too much of your present sub, and the real help will be, slightly, larger front speakers so you can set a more realistic subwoofer crossover.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
You definitely need more robust mains. Your fronts should be able to hand off the sound frequency to your sub(s). Having your sub come up too high to reach a hand off from your fronts is going to give you problems with localization. Your listeners will hear all of the bass coming from the subs location versus out of the appropriate speakers. I would step up my speakers before thinking about a sub right now. Unless you have a ton of money.

terryb4471

Auditioning
Real Name
terry
I don't have a subwoofer. The quintets don't come with one. I saw these two subwoofer's on newegg. What susgestions for a sub does anyone have with the quintets.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I suggest two. One as a MBM... http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12.html I would get a 8" and a 12" and cross them over at 60-70hz while the AVR sits on 150. There are no subwoofers that are digging below 40hz that aren't going to "chuff" trying to do 150hz at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks