Klipsch RW-12 vs HSU VTF2 MK2

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Vincent T., May 16, 2005.

1. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

Ok, here's the thing, I currently have a Klipsch RW-8 and i'm very happy with it, the only thing is, I want something louder and deeper, I had a chance to hear the RW-12 the other day and I really enjoyed that sub, I never had a chance to see/auditionne a HSU because they're really rare over here in Montreal (Canada). Although, I'm able to get both of them at the same price, I would also consider the SVS PB-10 ISD (if it was actualy possible to get them in Canada). My budget is around 700-800$ CDN. It's going to be 80% music and 20% HT, I listen to rock/hardcore/drum&bass/trance so I like something that can go deep and LOUD!! hehe, anyway, I'm waiting for your recommandation!
    Thank you

Between, Klipsch is my first choice because it is 360watts vs 250watts (HSU)
    Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you listen to trance/techno, you'll want see if there is a good way to pick up the PB-10 [​IMG] I listen to a lot of electronic music too, and the PB-10 can deliver. As a former owner of a VTF-2 v1, the PB-10 sounds about the same in the upper ranges, but it definitely wins below 25Hz.

Watts don't tell the whole story, so don't base the decision on that.

3. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

Hey John, I would certainly go with the SVS but I dont know any retailer here in Canada and I dont feel like having a bad surprise with the duty!

4. John Garcia

John
    There are no "retailers" for SVS, as far as I know. If you e-mail them directly, they may be able to tell you if there are any distributors you can deal with in your area. I know there are Canadian SVS owners on here.

I'm not familiar with Klipsch's stuff, but it lists range as 21-120Hz. Not bad if that is for a typical room, which means it will likely extend just a bit lower than the VTF-2. It would probably be my choice out of the two.

5. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

Thanks again for the reply! I'll try to email them and see if SVS is available over here, those subs look awesome!

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Klipsch is not as clean as the Hsu or SVS. It takes doubling the watts for every 3dB increase in volume if everything else stays the same.

7. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

But actualy, 3db is twice louder, am I right?

8. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Hello there have you thought about Paradigm? I own the PS-1000 v.4 sub and it is just awesome. It has a bandpass box design but really plays deep and as loud as you want. I prefer music over HT but it does well for both. Since you are in Canada be sure to check out Paradigm. The sub retails for $579 us not sure what that would be Canadian. Good luck with your choice.

9. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

Yeah well I'm able to get the Paradigm PS-1000 @ 530$ CDN, but to be honnest, I never considerated Paradigm, maybe I should take a look at that model!

10. John Garcia

John
    The PS1000 will not even come close to the VTF-2. I have never been impressed by any of Paradigm's lower subs. I really didn't even like any of them until I heard the 2200.

I haven't heard the recent Klipsch subs either, but I have not heard that they were that spectacular either, but between 21Hz and 25hz, I'd opt for 21Hz.

I wanted something that went a little deeper; that is the only reason I upgraded from the VTF-2. It was otherwise an excellent sub (and that was with the previous version...). The VTF-2 was capable of some output as low as 20Hz, but it was nowhere near the same authority as the PB-10.

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

3dB is not twice as loud. It takes about 2dB change in a normal listening enviroment to even be audible. It would need to be really quiet to hear changes below that. Here is a link to sound ramp that decends at 6dBs per tone and then at 3dBs per tone to get an idea for the difference.

12. Vincent T.

Vincent T. Auditioning

Wow Chris, this is very interesting, I cant hear the difference between the first and second tone during the "3dbs" test, well there's a difference, but its pretty hard to notice it!
    Thanks