What's new

Klipsch RW-12 vs. HSU STF-3 (1 Viewer)

Chad_B

Grip
I am torn between these 2 subs? Can anyone help me out? I have demo'd an HSU STF-2 and CompUSA but they don't have a good demo room and the sub "rattled". Manager on duty said it was that way when it came out of the box. Surely all the hype out HSU subs couldn't sound as bad as the STF-2 that I listened to the other day.

The RW-12 was decent sounding but wasn't as crisp and tight as the HSU. I could kind of tell that HSU was trying to do something, but it was rattling to much and that is all I could here. For a few seconds here and there the HSU STF-2 sounded good. RW-12 was demo'd at Ultimate Electronics and I was decently surprised. I think it would do well in my 18'x20' room.

I have also listened to Paradigm PS 1000. To be honest, it demo'd the best of all 3 speakers. It is a little higher than I want to spend though.

This is the piece of my HT that I need. I want to try and get it right the first time. Please help a noob out.

Thanks

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Your CompUSA may still have a defective Hsu STF-2 from the first production run on display. I have also read that some CompUSA's have their subs displayed on metal shelfs/platforms.....any good sub will make those things rattle.

I just picked up a used STF-2(I also own a VTF-3), and I can assure you there is no rattling. IMO, it can not be beat for $359-$399, in fact, there are more expensive subs that can not match it for sound quality or output.

How high is your ceiling? Any uncloseable doorways or openings in the room? In my 14x18x8-9 room, with one uncloseable doorway, the STF-2 is more than adequate...even with two other doorways left open.

What is CompUSA's return policy? I have heard they charge a restocking fee, but I also heard that the restocking fee is only applied if it is outside a certain timeframe.

If you are uncomfortable with purchasing the Hsu at CompUSA, then you should go with the Paradigm or Klipcsh.

Chad_B

Grip
Curtis

My living room 20Wx18Lx9-10H. Behind my 2 couches is a bar that is open to the kitchen. On main viewing wall there is a hallway that leads to a bedroom. So the whole area is pretty good sized. Would the STF-2 be big enough? I want the room to rumble a little. Maybe the STF-3?

Price wise, I am looking at about $360 for a HSU STF-2 and $500 for Klipsch RW-12.

Anyone else other than CompUSA sell HSU? Also does HSU carry the STF-3?

Thanks for the help

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The STF-3 right now is only sold direct from Hsu at the moment.

For that size room, I would go with the STF-3. Although, I have heard a VTF-2 in that same size room, and it works well. Hsu is also currently has a good deal going on right now with the VTF-3MK2.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is ~19 x 20 with high vaulted ceilings, and I am running a VTF-2. I get plenty of room filling bass with the gain at just 30%. Still, a STF/VTF-3 would be better for a room of this size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks