What's new

Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer: Very very low bass output? Please help! (1 Viewer)

So I notice while I watch movies the Bass is always *decent* while never really Impressive...but I have always been very disappointed with the bass output while streaming Pandora through my Blu-Ray player. It's so quiet that if I actually turn the woofer off through my Yamaha RX-V467 the bass notes are about 3x more apparent just through my front RF-10 towers. I know this isnt the best 10" woofer out there...but still imagine this thing should beat pretty good.

How I have it wired. I used a RocketFish "Subwoofer" cable from the "Subwoofer" jack on the back of my receiver to the "LFE" jack on the back of the subwoofer.

Cable I used: RocketFish 12' Subwoofer Cable.

Rear view of Receiver (Red arrow indicating which ouput I used)

Rear view of Subwoofer (Red arrow showing which input I used)

Do I need another Cable, or what am I doing wrong. I have gone through all of my settings on the receiver. I see options like "Extra Bass" and also "Tone Control" where I can adjust the bass. I really don't think these should have to be adjusted to get decent bass out of this 10" powered sub. BTW I should mention that the volume knob on the RW-10 is turned all the way up. I do not see any option to turn up the LFE signal on the receiver. Is there a way to do that....any info would help! Anything that you can think of that I may not have checked.

Thanks!

Nick

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The setup menu (use the button on the remote control) allws you to set different volume levels (called Trim levels, pg 51) for each input source. So adjusting the Trim Levels for the dvd input won't affect the other inputs according to the mual (pg 44).

Also, make sure the speakers are set to Small (pg 49) and the crossover is set to 80 or higher (pg 50).

I appreciate the quick reply Gene. I have not adjusted the trims of each input because they all seem pretty similar in overall output. I also do have all speakers in my set up set to "small" and have the crossover at 100.

the sound from my 5 speakers sound great, wouldn't change a thing....it's just the very low output from my subwoofer. It showing hardly any excursion. You can't even really tell it's moving unless you put a finger on the surround, you can feel small amount of movement. My towers put out about 3x the bass as my 10" ported woofer.

Anything else you guys can think of?

Does my connection look correct? Should I be using RCA's, or be using the "Line In" inputs on my woofer?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Connecions are correct. Maybe try putting the cable in on of the red or white Amp In's. Looks like your receiver isn't putting out a very strong LFE signal. I'd double-check the subwoofers trim level in the 467's setup menu. Or maybe there are some settings in the dvd player that need adjusting. That 10" Klipsch sub should put out at least adequate bass.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, I used to have a Yamaha, but a different model (RXV-630). What I would double check is how you have the sub woofer assigned in the set up menu. My yammie had 3 options, one for lfe signals only, one for both lfe and lower (below 90 hz which was the crossover default in my yammie) and one other setting (can't remember what it was). Make sure you do not have it set to send "only lfe" signals to the sub (if in fact your model has that option). If it is set for only lfe signals, it will not get any of the signals lower than 90 hz from non-lfe sources, i.e. Pandora (I am thinking?). I think Yamaha refers to lfe signals as discreet signals meant only for the subwoofer. Movies have signals meant only for the subwoofer (the lfe signal).

If your speaks are set to small, they should be sending signals under 90 hz to the sub, or whatever the default is set at in your yammie.

Good luck,hope you can work it out.

Edit, sorry--I thought that I had given an answer to this post the other day (had problems posting then). I now see it is a double post.

Frank- It is indeed a double post. I have a lot of issues with this forum for some reason. I am part of several other forums for my other hobbies (cars, custom fabrication, etc) and don't have any issues of those forums.

I appreciate your response. I will look at my owners manual to see if there is an option to set both the crossover signals (under 100k which is what I have mine set to) and the LFE signals to play through the woofer.....OK I just looked into it. I searched the digital owners manual for the terms "Subwoofer" and "LFE". I found this...

SUBWOOFER

Yes (Default): Select this when you have a subwoofer connected.
During playback, the subwoofer will produce audio
from the LFE (low-frequency effect) channel and bass
audio from other channels

None: Select this when you do not have a subwoofer
connected. The front speakers will produce audio
from the LFE (low-frequency effect) channel and bass
frequency audio from other channels.

So that answers the questions of..."is my subwoofer playing both LFE and low frequencies from other channels". The answer is yes, because I have mine set to "YES".

Another interesting thing I found is this...

SWFR PHASE

Sets the phase of the subwoofer if the bass audio is lacking or unclear.

NRM: (Default) Does not change the subwoofer phase

REV: Reverses the subwoofer phase.

Should I try to set mine to reverse? What does this do? Is it healthy for the woofer? I thought you set it so REV if you had it wired with the + and - reversed.

Those are the only things I found in the document that may be useful.

I removed the woofer from the cabinet and the woofer shows no signs, what-so-ever, of wear or fatigue. I also hooked it to my front left channels wires and turned that speaker to "Large". I got decent response from it, but it was playing all frequencies and still didn't play low frequencies well. This could be because I was only feeding it 100w through the front channel wires. The built in amp on the RW-10 supplies 260 watts continuous (FTC Rated Power) or about 575 watts (Dynamic Power).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks