Klipsch RSW10

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, Jul 24, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I need a sub, but I have a small room. There are many subs that would "fit" in my room, but from the ones I can here they sound like sh*t.[​IMG]
    Has anyone heard the Klipsch RSW10? I have RF3's, so need a loud sub. I will take quality over quality any day. What about a carver nightshadow?
    ---
    Subs I have heard are: Polk350, CHT8,10,12, Klipsch Synergy KSW12..(I can spend a bit more)

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I will take quality over quality as well. jk

I heard the KSW-12 and it doubt it compares to subs such as ones by SVS, HSU, Adire, or Velodyne.

I just don't really like Klipsch subs, I've auditioned the RSW10 but not long enough to say anything spectacular about it. Price for performance, there are other brands I'd probably choose first.

I find it hard to tell a difference in subwoofers just by listening. To test them I like having an spl meter handy and a disc of test tones to see how low it can go and how loud. Too bad there isn't a site that tests them all, I guess comparing specs and cost of the models can be a start.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Sorry double post: Anyways you say you have a small room? What are the dimensions as a lot of subs may be large vertically, but have the same footprint as, say a KSW12. Keep in mind you can't have too big of a sub for a room, the room will affect some bass nodes but you'll still achieve deep bass.

4. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

14x9 I think[​IMG]
    Quality over quantity:b Sorry LOL
    I could put a Servo 15 if I really wanted to[​IMG]
    I may not be able to get anything off the internet. Not old enough for a credit card, and Im not going to send money away via mail[​IMG]

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The problem in looking for the smaller units is there are always design trade offs to consider. Size,cost,peformance...pick any 2 and the third is dictated to you. So for a given price...you should always be able to get more performance from a larger enclosure(with careful shopping). One of the better performing(smaller)

6. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

God damn, I can't get over posts like that from Ron and especially Tom. You're supposed to be pushing SVS aren't you??

I think it's unbeleivable, and goes to show that they are simply members of this board, just like us. I think I might pull the trigger on an SVS, even with the ridiculous exchange rate here in Canada. Either that or a Servo-15 if I can get a good price.

BTW Matthew, I think you'd be better off with the Paradigm over the Klipsch, but that's just my opinion. Don't you know anyone that could put an internet order sub on their credit card, and you could give them the cash?? You might want to think about that...

7. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Matthew,
    I currently have the Klipsch KSW-15 and am considering either dual RSW-10's ar a single RSW-12. I think the RSW line up is far superior to past Klipsch subs and may even get some respect over time from others.[​IMG]
    BTW I did own the KSW-12 and I liked it better than my KSW-15 as it seemed faster to respond.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You may want to check this out:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2001.html
    The RSW subs are supposed to do pretty good above 30hz. There are cheaper subs that will match or beat them, but they are larger in size (trade offs Tom mentioned above). But they all, even the 15 drop off rather quickly under 30hz.

9. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The Energy e:xl S10.2 is a great small sub. It goes down to 23hz, and, its bass is never slow or sloppy.

Also check out the Polk PSW-650. Its supposed to be a very good performer, much better then the 350.

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I owned the Energy S10.2, and I don't think that the claimed -3db mark of 23hz is accurate. I have a small room, and this sub really did not seem to go that low, little or no tactile response, and it was straining to play many scenes and songs in my dvd collection. I wouldn't recommend it.

11. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

The Klipsch RF3's do pretty well down to about 40hz. I think an RSW 10 would help, but the price..I could get a paradigm.
    Nick, the only people I would ask to do that are my parents. LOL. I do not think they want me to have a sub. Anyway's I'll ask them again. If I need to I will find some kind of pre-paid credit card type of thing. Mabey I will have to change banks. SVS looks so awsome. I need something deep[​IMG]

12. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Matthew, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'm 18 so I could have a credit card, but I don't. If I do end up getting an svs or a hsu, or an adire, I'm just gonna get my parents to put it on their credit card and I'm gonna pay them cash.

The only problem with this is my skepticism of the products, when you aren't able to demo them, or even hear them at all before ordering. But on the other hand, with all the praise that those three manufacturers are getting, I'm sure that in reality, you can't go wrong.