What's new

Klipsch rock speakers outdoor setup...which amp? (1 Viewer)

MikeFL

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hi all... I have 2 Klipsch outdoor rock speaker and each speaker has 2 channels. What would be a nice amp to power the speakers? They are 8ohm. Do I need a 4 channel amp? I haver them hooked up to an old Pioneer RXV1400 and they just don't sound good at all. I was going to get new wire and run 14/4 to each speaker which is 80' away from the unit. Any recommendations? Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The way you have them connected now could be a problem. How do they not sound good? Yeah, ideally you want a four channel amp or two stereo ones, but if or how you can do that depends on the model of the receiver (oops, you gave the model).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi all... I have 2 Klipsch outdoor rock speaker and each speaker has 2 channels. What would be a nice amp to power the speakers? They are 8ohm. Do I need a 4 channel amp? I haver them hooked up to an old Pioneer RXV1400 and they just don't sound good at all. I was going to get new wire and run 14/4 to each speaker which is 80' away from the unit. Any recommendations? Thanks
What do you mean by these statements.

As far as a recommended amp, what is the frequency range and sensitivity of the speakers? Also, as @JohnRice asked, what do you feel is lacking from their sound? Might just be better to post the model of the speakers so we can look up the specs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@John Dirk , a lot of environmental speakers (for background music) are a stereo pair in one enclosure. I suspect that is the case here.

MikeFL

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
They are Klipsch AWR-650-SM. 66Hz-20kHz with a sens of 94dB at 2.83V (not sure what that last spec means). Each speaker has 4 wires: red/green and white/black. Recommended power is 100w/200w peak. They sound underpowered...muted. The manual says the two positives and the two negatives for each single speaker can be combined but that must mess up the watts to each speaker. Is the best setup a 4 channel amp? Like which one? I get confused looking at them. What is meant by "2 stereo ones"? Thanks for any help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, please specify how they're hooked up now. Each speaker has four connections, two each + and -. You're currently taking the + from one channel on the receiver and connecting it to both + connections, and the - from the same channel on the receiver to both - connections on the same speaker?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it sounds that muted, I suspect the polarity might be reversed somewhere.

You're also running the pairs in "parallel" which drops the actual impedance to 4 Ohms, which can be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks