What's new

Klipsch RF-7 (1 Viewer)

Joey Ford

Agent
Hi All !!

I'm putting together a new HT. My preference is 50% music 50% video. Now the main debate is on my preference of music. I listen to heavy metal (Ozzy, Metallica, Ac/DC) mostly and have read wonderful reviews from others "metal heads" on the Klipsch products. The only debate I've seen regarding "which is best" was between Klipsch and B&W. Those who favor rock music seem to lean towards Klipsch speakers.

Can Loud Loud Loud equal Proud Proud Proud ? ? ? Will the Klipsch sound good with movies and other types of music or is this a trade-off of my music preference?

My PLAN is to buy the RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7. The total of the three is $3,900 (retail). For movies, should I consider a different brand of speakers for my center and surrounds?

I plan to power the system with an Outlaw 755 amp and 950 pre/pro.

Any input is appreciated.

Joey

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Joey,

The horns are GREAT for movies as most if not all Theaters use horn speakers of some sort. They're very detailed and dynamic.

Head over to the Klipsch Forum and do a little research to see how others put together their systems.

I've got 8 Klipsch Legends in my HT and LOVE them and it sounds like you're a fan of the Klipsch sound also. An entire REF system will sound great...Mike

P.S. Go with an SVS or other sub as most aren't impressed with the Klipsch subs, especially for the $$$

Cam S

Screenwriter
There's NO WAY you could go wrong with any of the speakers in the Klipsch Reference line, let alone the Legends line. Bottom line, those RF-7's are incredible, and I do mean incredible for both music and movies. Hell, I'm using my RB-3's for fronts untill I get either ther RF-3's or RF-7's and those things play louder than I can handle!

Joey Ford

Agent
Thank you for the input.

I was pleased to read your posts. Sometimes you just need a nudge before you take the leap!

From my understanding, Klipsch is an efficient speaker in comparison to others. The amplifier I plan to use is 200 watts X 5 channels. Though it is rated at 300 watts X 5 channels in an 4 ohm load. Does this sound like the horsepower I'll need to get the most out of the Reference line? Remember, I'll be listening Loud Loud Loud :)

Thanks
Joey

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Yes. I do not think you will need more then 10-20 real watts of power:D
(PS, 200 watts per RF7 would be crazy)

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
With the speakers you listed you will likely only ever use 5 to 10 watts of power to drive them to insane levels. They are like 99 or 100db @ 1watt @ 1 meter. For most casual listening you will be in miliwatts!

Klipsch is very revealing of crappy power amps and bad source components and materials. Make sure you like how everything in the system sounds.

The Ref's are great speakers. I have the RF-3's and I think they are less bright than most paradigm, energy speakers as well as some others. Klipsch has a bad rep for some reason and I like to believe that it is because of dealer show rooms. I heard the RF-3's at a GoodGuys in Belligham, WA and they sounded super bright. The room was all glass and hard floors, very, very relective. The Energy Veritas sounded very nice in that room. That being said I have the RF's in my living room and I find them to be quite mellow when driven by my Denon 3801. I suppose that in the same room it may sound like the Veritas speakers I listened to may sound very muddy and flat. Remember that your room probably is responsible for 70% of the way the music sounds.

Enjoy the speakers, they are awesome.

Cam S

Screenwriter
The RF-7's are rated at 102db/1watt/1meter.
15 watts will be insane with those speakers, let alone 200 :eek:

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Ahhhhhhhh.....200 watts through an RF-7:D
Joey, If you go with the RF-7's you will need the RC-7 as most any other center will become lost due to the 7's effeciency. If not you will have to adjust your mains down so low I feel you will loose speaker performance.
I have the KLF-20's that are about as effecient as the 7's and had an RC-3 center. I eventially replaced it last month with a RC-7 and have never been sorry...THAT IS AN AWSOME CENTER:D
I have an amp coming in tomorrow so it will be another month before I get my 7's, ENJOY!!!
Phil

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I hope you have a big room because with the dual 10's on those rf-7's you are gonna get a lot of bass. If you don't have a big room go for the rf-5's dual 8's instead and everything else is the same, then all of your speakers would match rc-7 has dual 8's, and rs-7 has 8in woofer and dual horns. By the way I have the rc-7 and the rs-7's and think they are great I plan on getting the rf-5's, just to much bass for me with the 7's my room is too small and they cost too much. Sound & Vision did a review on the klipsch reference series system (rf-7's, rc-7, 2 pairs of rs-7's, one rsw-15) they might have that review posted on their website now.

Daniel Smith

DanaA

Screenwriter
I think they're just amazing speakers (heard them-wish I owned them), but I'd follow the already mentioned advice of posting over at the Klipsch board. Klipsch are extraordinarily sensitive to what is being fed into it. There are those over there that really know their stuff and, when I was thinking of buying a Parasound amp, one of the first things I did was post over there. I haven't heard the Outlaws, but some have been saying the new preamp is a bit bright sounding. I'm not sure that's what you want, but you should be able to get some guidance over there at the Klipsch board.
Link: http://klipsch.com/
By the way, in my opinion, the Parasound 1205A power amp sounds fantastic with my Klipsch reference speakers.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
You will like the Klipsch R speakers. They are so great:D
Many say klipsch are bad and I don't see why. My RF3's are NOT harsh. -And I have a sony amp! (Soon to be upgraded)
They RC7 could be to much for the RF5. The RF5is 'allmost' the same as the RF3. Don't worry about it though. The center does all thw work;)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Before you make any Klipsch purchase you should hit the Klipsch BB. Get a feel for what models and configurations are the most popular with long time Klipsch owners.
The new Ref series are incredible. That said, I'd never own anything but Heritage or other older lines. I've had Kg-3's since 1991 and Kg-4's for 2 years now. They sound amazing and look beautiful in oak. I've got a KV-3 center, RS-3 surrounds and an SVS 20-39PCi sub. I wouldn't buy a Klipsch sub.
You WILL LOVE Klipsch, Ref or Heritage. FWIW, I bought my Klipsch when I was in my 'Metal Years' specifically because I wanted something that would sound great and play LOUD. Klipsch was the only thing that sounded good to me. Since then I've mellowed to Dream Theater, Spock's Beard and a general tendency towards progressive rock. Well, I have to admit that Tool, Fates Warning, and Symphony X aren't exactly mellow. :)
BTW, B+W are very good, highly regarded speakers. I don't know a lot about them but if I didn't have Klipsch they would be my next choice. I think that they're expensive though, at least in comparison to Klipsch.
Finally, the 200w will be more than enough. As others have said, Klipsch are very efficient. Most of the time you won't need all of that power but it's good to have. It most likely will prevent any sort of strained sound. The Outlaw will be a good choice IMO. It's supposedly a good amp, which you'll want because Ken is right about Klipsch tendency to be very revealing.

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to play LOUD... the 200 watts would be great! I recently got a Parasound 2205AT (220x5) for my Klipsch KLF series speakers and you can play them at insane levels with clean crisp sound. you can't go wrong with those 7's and a good amp. Enjoy!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks