Klipsch RF-7 vs. Paradigm Studio 100's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien David, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

What do you think?

I'd like to have the opinions of people who have heard both, since I won't have the opportunity to compare until a while from now.

Are they even comparable?

2. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

I compared Klipsch vs Paradigm and walked out the door with Klipsch after hours of additioning. I found the klipsch have a tighter bass sound, and a better mid range, and I like the highs of the horn tweeters. To each is to their own, and you will get many opinions. Two very good speakers, also NHT, BW, M&K, Def Techs,PSB are all good speakers. Let your ears pick em.

3. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

The only advice that matters is your own while auditioning. Trust me on this in regards to speakers, the only advice worth anything is your own.

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Ultimately it will come down to what

DVD player or CD transport you will be

using as well as amps and interconnects.

Each one of these components will make or

break on how a speaker will sound.

An in home audition is the only way to

really know what is best for you.

Good Luck!,,

5. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Well not quite the same, but I have Paradigm Studio 60's at home in my HT and when we opened the new Klipsch RF-5's at my work and demo'd them, I was ready to sell my Paradigms. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but the Klipsch just bring the music to life compared to the Paradigms.

If it didn't mean replacing all my Paradigms, I would go for the Klipsch in a heartbeat.

6. NicholasF

NicholasF Auditioning

I agree with TerryC & parts of Trevor's post. Find dealers that will let you take a pair home, and audition them there. Your listening room, combined with your ears are acoustically unique, and are the biggest variables outside the speaker. At the dealer, I also find it difficult to determine how "quietly" a speaker will play -- something that only late night auditioning at home will tell you (most speakers sound fantastic cranked at high levels -- and most fall apart at quiet listening levels. In my case I find myself more often listening at quiet levels than cranking levels)
    The exception to at home auditioning might be if you are able to dramatically alter your listening environment. Perhaps you are planning to move in the near future, or are thinking about installing carpet over hardwood floors. In this case, if you have to have the speakers now, then I would audition them at a dealer in an "acoustically good" room (room dimensions cannot be square, speakers correct distance from front and side walls on proper stands, etc) during a time of day when other customers won't be likely to interrupt.
    But be forwarned, too many times I've been blown away at the dealer, only too find out I'd blown too much money on speakers that I had to shoe horn into what turned out to be acoustical mismatch at home.
    -NicholasF
    ps. To answer your question, I've not heard Paradigm but I did audition Klipsch a while ago. If I recall, the main difference is Paradigm uses domes and Klipsch uses horns for tweeters. (the 60 is also a 3 way design, the RF-5 a 2 way. 2 way designs have fewer crossover complications but stretch a wider range of frequencies across the drivers) The Klipsch are usually more efficient, and will do better in larger rooms and won't require as much power to drive. In the small room I had at the time, the Klipsch horns were overbearing. But they sure could crank, something the teenager in me misses today [​IMG] The speakers I ended up with (Vandersteen 2ce's) had dome tweeters, and sounded smoother and more detailed to my ears. But they probably couldn't fill a large room during a party or recreate a live performance as well as the Klipsch.

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I will start by saying that I have not heard the Paradigms. I have been using Klipsch since 1996. I purchased a full HT set of the KM series. Not top of the line but still a good speaker. I am still using them today. The KM-4's use a horn tweet and 8" driver. Sensitivity is @ 96db 1w/1m. I am still impressed by their sound and clarity. Tonight while watching "Evolution" I heard sounds that I did not hear before in our local AMC Theater.

I have a large "L" shaped family room of about 4500 cu.ft. They fill the room nicely and can crank when needed. (I run the Outlaw 1050 receiver). If I were ever to upgrade speakers it would be to another set of Klipsch.

Am I loyal? No. Impressed? Yes.

Bass output has always been a bit limited with the KM-4's but I can compensate with my SVS's (when they arrive). I run an EQ now when listening to CD's to help them out just a smidge.

For me it was Klipsch. For others it might be Paradigm.

8. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

thanks for the replies.

in fact, my listening environment WILL change soon to a much bigger room than the small one I have at my disposition now.

that is why an at-home audition would probably bring me the wrong results anyway.

from the answers I get from you guys, it seems the speakers could compete against each other, even though the price of the Paradigms seems to be much lower in my parts. that's the main question I wanted to see answered, as I didn't want to waste time on speakers which are in a different league. now I will have to go audition.

fortunately I know of one dealer that has both lines of speakers, so the comparison should be easy.

I'll bring my girlfriend as the neutral party, as I am pretty much sold to Klipsch already.