Klipsch RF-7 vs Cerwin Vega CLSC-215

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jonathan Larson, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Jonathan Larson

Hey guys,

I was wondering what tower will put out more bass, any opinions, I just thought it would be nice to hear what you guys think. I talked with my brother about it, just curious to see what he would say. He thinks the RF-7 will put out more bass, I think the CLSC-215 would put out more bass than the RF-7. What do you think? Anybody have these towers or heard them?

2. JimIroc

JimIroc Agent

I think both will put out an extreme amount of bass. The Klipsch have a very high efficiency and power handling, as do the Cerwin Vegas. Without somebody that's measured the maximum SPL of both, all you're going to get is wild speculaction anyway. Call it a draw and go have a beer.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Revised Classic series coming out

I thought the reason J&R kept lowering the prices for CV's Classic series is because of slow sales and/or they were going to drop the entire line. But while scanning their site I saw this: CLS10. It looks like this entire series is being revised, hence the need to clear out the previous line up.

Excerpt from that page:

* Revised waveguide with taller midrange protective grille
    * Improved high frequency tweeter response with copper shorting ring
    * Dual pairs of Gold plated all metal binding posts with jumper straps for bi-wire or bi-amp applications

Those shorting rings are used more & more on many newer tweeters, and like their use on woofers IIRC they help smooth out the magnetic field around the magnet so the voice coil reacts in a more linear fashion.

I'm glad they decided to include a grill for the midrange - the present open design looks cool, but I can see where in the typical living room it could get damaged rather easily (especially if you have small children).

BTW: the Classic center channel - a very large center channel btw - is priced at only $99 right now.* It's especially good for 5.1 surround music since many mixes place things like drums, bass guitars and similar instruments in that channel. And for movies, even with bass management, such a husky speaker will reproduce male voices and many sound effects with more realism and authority (if you've ever seen how woofers react even when crossed over at 80-100Hz, you'll know what I mean).

* no I don't work for J&R, but I have bought several pieces of gear from them and they always treated me right, so I'm just reciprocating; and thought others might also want to know about these things

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have no experience with the Vegas. But I do own RF7s mated to a B&K 200.5 amp. The 7s are capable of a lot of clean, acurate bass. But also they are capable of some serious spl. Equal to my 15" Titanic. The 7s are rated to 32 hz. I believe in room they will go down to 30.

I don't know which is capable of more bass. But the 7s are quite capable.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Bobby: do the RF7s have dual ports on their rear panel?

Last time they were at Tweeter I wasn't able to look at the back of these models, but the previous Klipschs they had with dual 10" drivers were the KLF-20s. These 3-way models had two enormous ports at the bottom rear of the cabinet and also produced prodigious bass, even though they were "only" being powered by a large Denon stereo receiver connected directly to them (though they didn't go as low as a typical dedicated subwoofer could). Tweeter was blowing these out for 800 per pair until late 2002 - I really wished I could have bought a pair.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Lance yes the 7s are dual ported. While the 7s are of high sensitivity and while they can be run well with a good reveiver, they really need an outboard amp to do thier best. The 7s have an impedence dip in the lower bass frequencies down to 2.7 hz. A good outboard amp can handle the dip better than an average receiver. There is a guy on the Klipsch forum running his 7s with a 400 watt sunfire amp with outstanding results. But the 7s still start rolling off at 32-30 hz. A sub is still needed for a lot of modern movie soundtracks or pipe organ music.

7. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

RF-7 are Kick-A speakers. You want serious bass, serious output, and a well constructed speaker? RF-7! The aren't cheap though.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This is part of the reason I placed the post above (about the revised Cerwin-Vega Classic series) in this particular thread, i.e. for someone that wanted "big" sound but couldn't quite swing the price of the RF series (and no, I'm sure the Cerwins aren't in the same class of quality as the Klipschs). But I wonder how the present Cerwin Classic with the single 15" woofer* would fare against the RF7s - when I think of that for some reason I get a vision of a Mustang GT against vs. a Mercedes 500SL coupe.........[​IMG]

* I can't remember the math behind it, but (for example) two round 10" woofers don't add up to a single 20" round woofer

9. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The answer about driver size and output isn't the only factor in determining sound. The size, internal volume, crossovers, and porting have a lot to do with it to.

One bit of advice is to buy the best speakers you can reasonably afford. They have the most impact on sound and you will keep a good pair for years. If you go cheap, you'll end up spending more for a better pair later.

10. Larry Fabbri

Larry Fabbri Extra

I own a pair of the aforementioned KLF 20s Wonderful sounding speakers. It was a real shame that they stopped making them as I would recommend them to anyone.
    The RF7 come very close in tonal response. Having said that they are Horn Loaded which has a distinct sound. Most people either love it or hate it. I have heard the RF 7s a number of times with different amplification used. Very warm sound with lots of presence.
    I haven't heard the Cerwin Vegas in question, but virtually every model I have heard in the past had lots of bass, but sounded boomy to me.
    I would say go with the Klipsch for a natural sound that I haven't heard in any Cerwin Vegas.
    If the 7s are bit pricey drop down to the RF 5s. A very nice sounding speaker as well.
    For big time bass, add a big time sub. Two of my faves are Hsu and SVS. Both offer lots of bang for the buck

11. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

I have Klipsch in my theater room (Conwalls front, RC-7 center, RS-7 sides, KG-5 rears), my stepson has Cerwin Vegas in the pool room next door. To be kind I will merely describe te CV's as a teenagers speaker. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck (and if you like the sound of the RF-7's) look for a pair of Klipsch Heritage series on ebay before you buy. A bit smoother sound than the Reference Series but still all the advantage of horns.

12. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The 7s are getting cheaper since they have been discontinued. They are being replaced by the RF83
    [​IMG]

Audiogon is another good place to find used Klipsch Heritage speakers. Khorns are awesome if you have the room for them.

13. Jordan Placheck

Jordan Placheck Auditioning

I can tell you that my Cerwin Vega E-715's with a single 15" woofer and dual 4" ports have more bass than the RF-7's.

I heard the rf7 at a local audio dealer and the bass was more accurate than my Vega's, but not as deep or powerful.

The listening room at the dealer was a tad smaller than my basement as well.

As a side note, does klipsch give anyone else a headache when listening a moderately high levels? Every sound is as if it was played two inches from my ear...OUCH!

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

FYI: I was going to add a link to a detailed technical description written over at AVSForum.com of the Classic series and their designer's goals (he said basically he had to stay generally within CV's basic philosophy but besides that...), but their forum is down right now - 1:39pm - for maintenance.

According to Klipsch's website, the RF7s are now only sold in Europe.

[​IMG]

What's the deal with American speaker manufacturers selling large models......everywhere but here? In Japan for example large speakers, especially from American and English companies, are still popular (particularly from JBL and Tannoy). IIRC JBL was (is?) still building their classic Paragon model until the early 90s strictly for the Japanese market. And Tannoy sells their Kingdom series right now.

I don't understand this obsession with small/skinny speakers.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Uh oh, I just felt the whole forum tense up with that statement. [​IMG]

I did realize with those Klipsch KLFs that for me they really need a large and acoustically-warm room to play in properly - those horn mids and tweeters produce very detailed sound and will reveal any problems with the source electronics or espeically the recording. And if either of these two things are really lacking, ouch!

16. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

As a side note, does klipsch give anyone else a headache when listening a moderately high levels? Every sound is as if it was played two inches from my ear...OUCH!

I let it go because in the same post he also said he had only heard them (RF-7's) in a store and CV has deeper and more powerful base but not as accurate so I knew his ears were shot anyway. A result of prolonged exposure to CV's I guess

17. Jordan Placheck

Jordan Placheck Auditioning

Oren "...knew his ears were shot anyway. A result of prolonged exposure to CV's I guess"

Can't really argue with that one...

I also didn't mean for any of my statements to "attack" anybody.

Just sharing my experiences. My girlfriend said the same thing as well though (ouch). The Klipsch sound just didn't appeal to us. The RF-7's were hooked up with a Denon receiver and cd player if that means anything.

18. Larry Fabbri

Larry Fabbri Extra

As I said earlier.....You love 'em or you hate 'em. Me personally I love my Klipsch speakers.

19. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The RF7s don't really start to show thier potential until paired up with a good seperate amp unfortunatly.

Yes Klipsch are a love em or hate em speaker. Sadly those that hate Klipsh tend to be overly vocal about it on forums. "Don't by Klipsch they hurt MY ears." Instead of YOU need to listen for yourself, I didn't like the way they sound but YOU may. Even sadder is the fact that a high percentage of Klipsch bashers on the forums have never heard them at all. They just jump on the bandwagon.

Lance, Klipsch isn't selling the RF7 here any more but they are selling something bigger. See my post above.

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The slightly restyled Classics are up for preorder at J&R: here's the single 15" woofer model.

When I saw them the first word that popped into my head was "Dalek". [​IMG] They're not ugly but I like the originals a bit better, but then again, I don't have kids (or drunk dinner guests) who might like to poke at the previous models' exposed midrange drivers.

There is also a new thin-profile sub listed, the VE28S.