Klipsch RF-3II's or PSB Image Series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexander G., Jan 25, 2002.

1. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

I am very new to speaker/stereo equipment and would like your opinions. I recently looked at the Klipsch RF-3II's and PSB Infinity series speakers. I listen mainly to alternative/rock music, and the PSB speakers sounded much better than the Klipsch for that type of music. I also watched part of a movie because I plan to use them with a home theater system later on. What are your thoughts on the two speakers? Can you give me any suggestions for other speakers in this price range ($800 for the pair of mains for both the Klipsch and PSB)? Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Personally I also prefer PSB to Klipsch...but I could be biased. At that price range, you could also be looking at the Diva 4.1/5.1 or the Paradigm Monitor series.

3. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Sorry, I didn't mean the Infinity series, I mean the Image series. Thanks for your response though, I'll look into those.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've listened to both and ended up buying Klipsch, RB-5 not RF-3, for my bedroom set up. Both are excellent speaker lines, in my opinion, as would be the previously mentioned Swans. You'd really have to give them and others a long listening to to decide which ones best suited your taste. I chose the Klipsch because they came closest to the sound I prefer for the music I most often listen to.

5. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

I listened to the Paradigm Monitor series today, and I liked it a lot. Like the PSB (which I also liked), they aer $800 for the pair of mains. Any more comments on these two setups? For those of you who own Paradigm, which receiver would you recommend?

6. Joseph Janas

Joseph Janas Auditioning

Alexander,
    I am also in the market for speakers around the same price range. I've been researching and auditioning... I really liked the Monitor Audio Silver 8i's. Extremely detailed. From what I've read on the avsforum, the Diva's are hard to beat though. Still want to listen to them and the PSB Image series.
    Good luck man. Buy speakers for how YOU want them to sound. That's all that matters. [​IMG]

7. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Klipch rocks. Klipsch all the way!!

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

ALWAYS REMEMBER, the sound you hear in the show room IS NOT usually what you hear at home. I have heard many speakers in show rooms and the ones that sometimes sound good another can turn out quite the opposite at home. Klipsch has the very best mid/high clarity I've heard. IMO

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

For $800-$900, you might also demo Paradigm Reference Studio 40's. These are small tower speakers (or very oversized bookshelf speakers) that sound best on stands. They may have a hair less base extension than your typical full range tower, but you might find them to be a bettter overall speaker. I would definitely consider them before a pair of Monitor 9's for example. Add them to your demo list.

As for receivers, some say the Paradigms are a little on the bright side so you should pair them up with a warm sounding receiver/amp. Receivers that have a *reputation* for sounding warm are Denon's and B&K's, Parasound for amps. Personally, I think the Paradigms will sound great as long as you have good electronics, regardless of brand.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Hey, check out ubid.com - they have very good prices on a variety of home theater stuff including speakers

11. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

They're both good speakers, you just have to pick the one that suits you best. Personally, I'd go with the PSB over Klipsch. Klipsch speakers are a little to bright for my taste. Paradigm is definitely another speaker worth auditioning.

While I haven't heard the Diva's mentioned above, if they sound as good as they look, you can't go wrong. Shipping on them might be hefty though.

Finally, you may be able to find some excellent deals on B&W 600 S2 speakers right now as they have just introduced the S3 line.

Good luck.

12. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Thanks for all your advice, it has been extremely helpful. I will definitely be demoing several speaker systems before purchasing. Unfortunately, I don't think the Divas are sold in my area, so I don't think that is a possibility. However, I also recently found the B&W speakers (like someone suggested above), but I have yet to listen to them.

Another question: I found a Denon 2801 (last year's model) receive for $500 at Tweeter's. I'm not sure if it is used or not, but would you recommend buying a one year old receiver (and saving quite a bit of money), or going with newer stuff?

13. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

KLIPSCH. I own the RB-3II's, RC-3II, and soon to be the RF-3II's. I love the clarity of the reference line of speakers, and hopefully I'll be able to add a RSW-12 to the mix in the near future [​IMG]

14. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Alexander,

If the receiver has all of the features you are looking for, go for it. Personally, I am fond of buying 'last years model' whenever I purchase a new component. I can't really justify the jump in cost unless there is a substantial improvement that I feel is worth it.

By the way, I am a big fan of PSB. Definitely give them a listen when you are out demoing speakers.

Tim

15. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Tim,

I listened to the PSB's and I liked them a lot. Right now it's between PSB and Paradigm. I have yet to listen to B&W speakers.

Alexander

16. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

with the receiver/amp that you might want to pair them with you may want to consider the efficiancy differances and how more efficiant speakers have a lower "blossom" point and are capable of greater (and cleaner) jumps in dynamic range...If dynamic range, impact and lower distortion at higher output are important to you then consider how much power you are providing your speakers with vs. their efficiancy...