Klipsch RF-35 vs. RF-75

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Ruggiero, Aug 31, 2004.

1. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

Please disregard the title of this thread. I meant to compare the bookshelf Klipsch's, the RB-75s and RB-35s, not the floorstanding RF7s and RF-35s.

Anyway,

At the moment I have Jbls S-38s for front and surrounds and a Jbl S-center powered by a HK AVR-525. The Jbls sound nice, but I was thinking of getting some Klipsch speakers as they are more efficient them my Jbls. So I can get 4 rb-75s and the rc-7 center for around $2000, or get 4 rb-35s and rc-35 for about $1000.

So my question is:
    Are the 75 series worth double the price of the 35 series? Has anyone listened to both? I'd love to audition them for myself but there is no Klipsch dealer nearby. Any thoughts or impressions would be appreciated.

2. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

You would be getting a little bigger tweet/horn, same woofer, and little bigger cabinet. A little bit more bass extension. What are you using if for? HT vs music? What about a sub? That may influence your decision a lot.
    I recently went with the RB-35's over the RB 25's. In a side by side, they were noticably deeper in bass. Local store did not carry the RB-75's so I could not demo them.
    I was planning a sub upgrade (went with the SVS - PB2) so decided I really didn't need the RB-75's for extra bass extension. With the hornloaded tweet, you get plenty of highs either way. I have RS-35's for my surround backs, and the RS-25's for my surrounds. I've been very pleased with the route I went (75% HT and 25% music).

If you are primarily interested in HT, then I think you would probably do fine with the 35's, assuming you have a good sub. If music, then you may want to even check into the RF-35's or one of the other floor standing sets. Although I love my RB-35's, I still OOh and AAh and the look of those RF-35's, but doubt that for my listening needs I would see that much change in overall performance.

I would mention that the RC-35 is head and shoulders above the RC-25. I first took home the 25 and quickly traded it in for the RC-35. Lesson learned - don't skimp on that center. Good luck and have fun.

Edit: David, Just read your other post on your new SVS. That answers some of my questions above. I personally think you would be just fine with the RB-35's. SVS Ron is right about the sub "shrinking" a little over time. Had my in-laws over for a b-day party recently and no one seemed to notice the new black box sitting behing the couch
    (That is, until I fired it up for a little demo). My wife even admitted that she dusted it the other day. It is now offically a part of the family.

3. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to both and I think the sound from the RB-75 is a lot better. Everything sounded clearer to me. However, I don't know if it was worth twice as much. I was very impressed with the sound that came out of both of them. I didn't audition them long though as I was looking at the RF series, not the RB.

If I had the money, I would go RB-75, if not I would go RB-35. I eventually plan on getting a setup of the Ref 7 series but don't know if I will go with the Floorstanders or with bookshelves.

4. David Ruggiero

Mike,

I would use them about the same as you, about 75% HT and 25% music. Due to space constraints, floorstanders are out of the question. Right now I am leaning towards a rb-35 setup... as Allen mentioned the rb-75s sound better, probably due to the bigger tweeter and horn, but I don't think they would sound that much better to justify paying double the cost of the rb-35s. However I am considering getting the rc-7 instead of the rc-35 for the center channel, this way I would have 8" woofers all around. I wonder if the rc-7 would blend in with the rb-35s though. I wish I could audition them somewhere nearby. Decisions, decisions. [​IMG]

5. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Just a guess, but I was told the entire reference line was built to blend together, and so I would think it would be a good match. I know looking on the Klipsch web-site, the RC-35 is listed as the best match for the RB-35's. But, I wonder the same thing, especially since I noticed such a big difference between the RC-35 and the 25. If the RC-7 is that much, again, better than the 35, than I would think it would be worth investigating. Unfortunately, my local shop only carried the 25 and 35. Not sure what is up with that. I might have to check with them and see if they can special order in the RC-7 for a listening comparison. They have a speaker upgrade policy for 1 yr from purchase. I see another Klipsch Ref thread has started. You might check that one. Steve nn has the RB-75's and the RC-7, perhaps you should check with him re: his thoughts. He has helped me with some learning curve issues. Either way, I think you will have a really nice sounding system and be very pleased.

6. Al Holland

Al Holland Extra

I originally bought RF35's, RC35 and RS35's.

Was very unhappy with the RC35 so I exchanged for the RC7.

The RC7 is huge but blends perfectly with the RF35's.

With a good sub I believe that you could achieve satisfying results with RB35's.

Good luck.

7. David Ruggiero

Hey Al,

Don't mean to be a pain but can you explain why you didn't like the rc-35, compared to the rc7?

8. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

The RC-7 sounds so much better than the RC-35. It probably is twice the money and imo it is close to worth it. The bass is stronger, the voices cleaner, all in all better. With so much home theater coming from the center, I wouldn't hesitate to get it if you had the money. I heard it with the RF-35's and thought the sound was a fine match. I didn't have the money to get it though so I got the RC-35 instead.

If it was me and money was an issue, I would get the RB-35 and RC-7 combo. Of course, if you have the money to get the RB-75 and RC-7 I would go that. You won't get twice the performance as I think you start hiting the limit of the performance/price line when going from the 35 to 7 series.

9. Al Holland

Al Holland Extra

David,

What Allen said about the RC7 is precise. The RC35 sounded muffled.

I listened to the RB75's and felt that the RF35's sounded much better. I went back last week to listen to the RF7's because I was thinking about upgrading the 35's. While I was in the store I listened to the 75's again. They just do not have the full range sound of the 35's and 7's.

By the way, you are not a pain,

10. David Ruggiero

Thanks! Now try telling that to my wife... [​IMG]

11. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Just wanted to follow up on this. Went back to my local store Friday, just to find out they do carry the RC-7, it is just in a different listening room. Needless to say, I went home and packed up my RC-35 and returned it for the RC-7. As stated well above, it is just cleaner and packs a little more punch. It's not that I was unhappy with the RC-35, but after hearing the fuller range and more pronounced dialog from the 7, I had to make the change.

Now, as luck would have it, the RF-5's were on sale for a low price of buy one get one free (ie 750 for a pair). Not sure why such a good deal, but I have seen others remark about a similar sale in their regions as well. I went ahead and traded-in my RB-35's at the same time. I'm having to modify my family room cabinets but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

I really didn't consider seriously the floor standers, until recently. When I compared the full range sound, along with the incredible sale, I decided to go this route. You really can't match the sound, but as I stated above (before I flip-flopped!)those little RB-35's are very nice speakers, especially matched with a SVS sub.

Unfortunately, I also gave the RF-7's a good listening. They are certainly worthy of their reputation as the flagship of the RF models. I can't help but think that I will be back to upgrade 1 final time before I'm completely satisfied. They sounded superb.

Does anyone want to weigh-in on the surrounds ? Seems like a lot of people are using the bookshelves instead of the RS models. I have the RS 35's and 25's, but am now considering whether to go with RS-7 (surround backs) and the RS 35's (surrounds). Anyone like/dislike the RS-7s and or can compare them to using bookshelves instead?

Sorry to add further confusion to your decision, but just thought I would give you an update on what I recently learned. Good luck.