Klipsch RF-3 or RB-5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKosh, Aug 19, 2002.

1. JasonKosh

JasonKosh Extra

I am getting the Klipsch Reference series for my HT. I am getting the RC-3 for center and RS-3s for surrounds. I can't decide on the RF-3 or the RB-5.
    Any recomendations?

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The only difference between the two speakers is, the RB5 is a bookshelf model with one 8" driver, and the RF3 is a tower model with two 8" drivers. I went with the RB5 because I don't have space for a tower.

3. JasonKosh

JasonKosh Extra

I actually don't have space for the bookshelfs [​IMG]
    It is a room dedicated to HT and currently has nothing but my TV and couch. The RF-3s would actually save me from having to buy stands.
    I was just curious if there is any quality differnce between the RF-3 and RB-5?

4. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I have heard that the RF-3 might slightly "edgy" sound that could be fatiguing to some. (Haven't listened to verify this, just giving you the heads up.) I've listened a lot to the RB-5, which has no such problem (very smooth and extended treble). The components are similar, but not exactly the same. The woofer in the RB-5 is similar to the RF-3 but with an 8 ohm voice coil; the crossover is slightly different to accomodate this. Both are very accurate, somewhat bright speakers with huge output capability.

If you're getting a good subwoofer, I would recommend the RB-5 (which seems to be slightly preferred for its sound quality). If stands are cost prohibitive, or you would like full range mains, I would get the RF-3s. Try to audition both first before making a final decision.