What's new

Klipsch RF-3 or RB-5 (1 Viewer)

JasonKosh

Grip
I am getting the Klipsch Reference series for my HT. I am getting the RC-3 for center and RS-3s for surrounds. I can't decide on the RF-3 or the RB-5.
Any recomendations?

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
The only difference between the two speakers is, the RB5 is a bookshelf model with one 8" driver, and the RF3 is a tower model with two 8" drivers. I went with the RB5 because I don't have space for a tower.

JasonKosh

Grip
I actually don't have space for the bookshelfs ;)
It is a room dedicated to HT and currently has nothing but my TV and couch. The RF-3s would actually save me from having to buy stands.
I was just curious if there is any quality differnce between the RF-3 and RB-5?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I have heard that the RF-3 might slightly "edgy" sound that could be fatiguing to some. (Haven't listened to verify this, just giving you the heads up.) I've listened a lot to the RB-5, which has no such problem (very smooth and extended treble). The components are similar, but not exactly the same. The woofer in the RB-5 is similar to the RF-3 but with an 8 ohm voice coil; the crossover is slightly different to accomodate this. Both are very accurate, somewhat bright speakers with huge output capability.

If you're getting a good subwoofer, I would recommend the RB-5 (which seems to be slightly preferred for its sound quality). If stands are cost prohibitive, or you would like full range mains, I would get the RF-3s. Try to audition both first before making a final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks