Klipsch reference 12" sub or synergy 15"

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeff+T, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Jeff+T

Jeff+T Auditioning

I am looking at buying either the Klipsch reference 12" front firing sub or the synergy series 15" down firing sub. It will be used for both music and movies. The price is about the same, but which will give me the best tone and blend with the rest of my home theater?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well they pretty much have the same freq. responce listed but I would probably go with the reference series if I had to choose. First of all the brass look of the subwoofer is more attractive, the subwoofer itself is much more attractive.

Also I think the Reference subwoofer will sound a little bit better, more defined. The Synergy subwoofers are sort of boomy in my opinion.

3. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

the Refrence series of subs are much tighter and punchier, and actually very decent subs for music.

the Synergy line is very undefined and boomy

4. JimRHIT

JimRHIT Stunt Coordinator

I'd look into the new RW series of subs, if your retailer carries them. I have heard the 8" and 10" versions and they are excellent performers, very defined, great looking, and reasoanbly priced.

5. Jeff+T

Jeff+T Auditioning

So, reference series seems to be the general opinion? Thanks for the input. Now one more question: Will I be loosing a lot by going down to the 10" reference? 2" less but abot 50% less cost.

6. ChrisLazarko

I doubt you will loose very much, you won't be able to notice a BIG difference, just very minimal. The 12" reference will be able to go a little lower, I believe is something like 22Hz and the 10" is 28Hz, not sure but I think that is what it is.

The power will be a little less as well but not much you should be able to notice in a medium sized room.

I also agree with looking for the new RW line. They are very nice looking and are supposed to be very good as well. I have not heard there new line but everyone is raving about them.

7. Jeff+T

Jeff+T Auditioning

Thaks for the info guys. I looked at the RW-12" and liked it a lot. The frequency response is actually 24hz where the RSW-10" only goes down to 29hz. The RW-12" actually has about the same amount of power also.(only 85 watts less continuous power) So for $200 less, I'll go with the RW-12". Thanks for the help.

P.S. check the sale/trade page for my cornwall II add!

8. ChrisLazarko

Enjoy the sub, I wish I had the RW-12.