Klipsch Ref Sat/Sub vs Rocket Package #5

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve-R, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Steve-R

Steve-R Auditioning

I have a new Denon 3803 and the new Sony 985V 400 disk DVD changer. I want to add a completely new speaker system for my home theater/living room.

It's a large, carpeted room with an open kitchen behind the seating area and very high (2-story) ceilings. The built-in cabinetry at the front of the room requires my 38" RCA HDTV/DirecTV set to be placed on the far left side. The fireplace is in the middle, bookcases above the TV on the left and on the right. Enclosed cabinets below TV on left and below bookcases on right of fireplace. The components will be below the TV inside the cabinets. My main front speakers need to be bookcase sized (the spouse factor!)

Here's what I am considering...

I am a longtime Klipsch owner (Horns, Heresy and Forte) and I love their sound. I still have a pair of Fortes that my son has now inherited to use in the upstairs gameroom. I have been looking at the Klipsch Reference series sat/sub combos with this as a possibility:

center: RCX-4
    front/rear: RSX-5
    sub: RW-12

I see mention in the forums of a "cinema 8" and "cinema 10" package but I can't find this on the Klipsch website.

My other choice has come down to the Onix Rocket Package #5 (av123.com/products_product.php?...rs&product=14.1) which includes:

front: RS-250
    center: RSC-200
    rear: RSS-300
    sub ELT SW-10

I have never heard the Rocket system but ALL the reviews are excellent. The forum members--for the most part--back up the reviews with high praise for sound and build quality. Of course, the Rocket system will cost more than the Klipsch and I want to make sure that I am focusing on comparable systems.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You need to go over to av123.com and hook up with Gordon in the forum. He is the one that has stacked SVS's. He is a Klipsch convert. I also am a Rocket liker if you will as they are super built, use top quality products and sound great. Plus they are backed by a great company. Again there are other good speaker brands on the internet as well that are good. Internet speakers I feel give you alot more bang for the buck.

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I think the two systems you are looking at are in two different categories. This particular Klipsch system looks to be aimed at a family room willing to spend more than $1000 budget where as the rockets are aimed at the enthusiast.

If you want to adequately compare klipsch to rockets or roakcets to klipsch you would need to look at the klipsch reference RB series with the center chanel RC25 or RC35, and for surrounds RS25 and RS35. These Klipsch are of the same category as the rockets.

Comparing the RB, RC, and RS series to the rockets you will find the rockets will beat the price of klipsch solely because of the business models. The sound quality is what the end user prefers.

Gordon is a very good source to compare Klipsch to Rockets. I almost sold my Klipsch for rockets. After a Klipsch forum member helped me with positioning and receiver set up I love the Klipsch, the family hates them.

Scott

4. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Scott again comes to a wonderful rescue.. I was not even looking at the Klipsch choices you gave. Not even a good match to go against the Rockets. Klipsch is one of those speakers that generate alot of comment as you either love the sound or your don't. There are not very many if any in between. Again though Gordon is kind of the Rocket/Klipsch expert.

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor