Klipsch RC3II center speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Bossman, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Peter Bossman

Peter Bossman Auditioning

I just realized last night that dialogue only seems to come from the 6.5" speaker on the right side and the horn. I could barely, if at all, hear anything from the left side speaker.

Is this normal or did I get a bad RC3II? If it's normal, what is the left side speaker for...added bass or something?

Thanks.

2. ferrell

ferrell Auditioning

I would try playing Music CD and if it still does it I think you have a bad horn on the LT. That's what it sounds like to me.

3. Peter Bossman

I got this from the Klipsch website concerning this speaker: "Tapered array technology allows both woofers to reproduce deep bass, while only one covers the lower midrange frequencies for clearer dialogue and more consistent coverage."

I find this very strange, but maybe the RC3II was meant to only be "playing" through the right side speaker. I guess the left is there to add supporting bass. The horn in the center cranks without any problems.

Hmmmm.

Any of you other RC3 owners listened to both sides of yours? How does yours play?

4. Geoff McD

Geoff McD Extra

Hey, I have the series I RC3 Klipsch reference center speaker. Not sure if it has the same technology or not. I'll check mine out and let you know what I hear later tonight

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

6. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

just checked my rc3-II and the sound is comming form both cones. I sont' know wha you are hearing but it sounds like a defect!!

--B

7. Peter Bossman

Here is the word straight from Klipsch:

"In a conventional horizontal, WTW (woofer, tweeter, woofer) center channel

both woofers are in parallel (seeing the same signal) and respond up to the

crossover frequency of say 2000 Hz where the horn tweeter takes over. The

problem with this approach is pronounced hot spots and nulls in the response

as your listening position moves to the left or right of center. In other

words the tonal balance of the speaker is inconsistent or varies quite a bit

as you move laterally off of the tweeter axis. The cause of this is common

midrange information coming from two different acoustic sources (locations)

on the front of the speaker.

A tapered array takes one of the woofers and rolls off it's upper frequency

range at a lower point than the other woofer. This gives one acoustic source

for middle and upper midrange frequencies (the other woofer and the horn

tweeter). Both woofers still contribute to bass and lower midrange

frequencies, which are less directional, and the lateral dispersion from one

end of the couch to the other is now more consistent. I hope this helps."

I guess according to this guy, one cone vocals are intended. Looks like Shawn hit the nail on the head!

Thanks all.

8. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

For what it's worth other speaker manufacturers do this as well (I know that Polk does it on their center channel).

It may seem weird at first, but remember you are not sitting 6" away - you are sitting more like 10' away, and you only hear the sound coming from a point source - it blends by the time it reaches you, so you can't tell it is only coming from one speaker. You could only tell when you were standing right in front of it.

Bryan

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter