What's new

Klipsch RB-5 Owners - how are your speakers placed? (1 Viewer)

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned RB-5s for about 6 months now, and have them simply placed on ledges right along the front wall of my home theater. They are very close to the wall, angled with less than 1" of clearance at the closest point. Lately, in doing some testing with AVIA, I have noticed some rather sharp spikes in output at different midrange frequencies, presumably induced by the location of the speaker and maybe resonance of the rear port with the wall. I have also read that rear-ported speakers are best positioned about 18" from the rear wall. Is this true? In this case, the term "bookshelf" becomes rather difficult to apply, since few bookshelves are 18" deep and would likely have resonance issues as well.
So my question is this: what are other RB-5 owners doing? where do you have your speakers placed? is everyone using stands? have other folks encountered the feedback/resonance issue, and if so, how did you solve it?
At this stage, my options are fairly limited. The ledge on which the speakers are located is fairly shallow, so the shelf positioning will probably not work. I am beginning to think my options are to either buy a set of speaker stands for about $200, or to tr to trade in my like-new RB-5s for RF-3s that I can position away from the wall. Your thoughts?
------------------

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
Mine are placed on top of my wall unit, angled in, about 1 foot away from the wall. I realized that this is not the ideal location for them, but until I come up with some way mount them to the wall and still maintain the proper distance behind them and the proper angle I do not have any other choice. I have no place for stands in this location, if I did I would have bought the RF-3's. This said, I am very pleased with their performance and can only imagine what they'd sound like positioned properly!
------------------
Sony KP-61HS10, Sony DB940, Toshiba SD-6200, JVC HR-7600U, Sony CE545, Sony Sat. Receiver, Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5, RC-3 & RS-3), Klipsch KSW-15, Sennheiser RS-6, Sony RM-AV2100

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks