Klipsch Quintet...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Cole, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

...on Ebay "new" without sub for $350. I'm on a very limited budget, should I grab these?
    I'm going to pick up an Onkyo 595 and I'm in need of some decent budget speakers.
    A couple of you guy's gave me some solid advice and told me to hold off on the sub for now and spend what I can on either a 5 piece set or mains/center. I only have about $500 maybe $600 to spend right now and thought this was a good buy. Would I have enough left over for a "decent" sub?
    Also, what is your take on the Polk RM6600? And I don't see the Bose Acoustimass systems mentioned much. Are they garbage?
    Sorry if my questions are stupid but I'm just getting into this and need some help. Thanks

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Quintets are great! At a retail store they can be had for about $450.00. I would go for it.

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    I'm still recommending the Velodyne CT set from onecall. At $250 + shipping, it's the best value, and not just because of the price. It really sounds very good to my ears, with very good midbass response.
    The Quintets are just a little small for decent midbass response. If you use the receiver's crossover, you will have a 'gap' between the sub and Quintets. If you use the sub's crossover to get around this, your sub will become 'localized', and may be a bit distracting (depending on where it's located relative to the front speakers). But if you have to have speakers that small, I believe they are good enough.
    Also, the JBL NSP1 are very impressive. They may even be a better deal all around since they include mounting hardware (the Velodynes don't). And I really like the center channel from the JBL set. And they sound great to me too! Should be able to find them for

4. Paul Cole

Paul Cole Agent

The speaker size really isn't an issue at all. The wife doesn't want to see them but can be talked into it.
    Like everyone else, I just want the best for what I can afford.

5. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I once owned the Quintets for a short period and then I ended up returning them. Some people like the sound, but I think it's a bit bright and colored... not very natural if you ask me. They really shined in movies, but you can forget about music material.

6. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I have a set up using a set of Quintets in one of the 3 5.1 rooms in the house.
    Here is the Deal!!
    They Are Great For HT really slamming sound for a little speaker.
    For music they are OK but not as good as the Take 5s or Encores.
    Yes they do color the sound a little but it really is not that bad and works well for HT use.
    I would give a :up: for them but would like to point out one small problem I have had with them.
    The stands are delicate and you need to be carefull to postion them tighten the set screws. NEVER NEVER try to move the speaker angles with the set screws tight or they will lose their ablity to hold postion.
    Oh for a Sub for them I would suggest an Adire Audio Rava. I am currently using a Klipsh KSW 150 which they don't sell any more and their KSW 10 sucks wind.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
    [Edited last by MaxY on August 28, 2001 at 09:27 AM]

7. John B. Holbrook

I've had my Quintet set for a couple of months now. I got them from an E-Tailer who advertised on E-Bay - $300.00, and I also purchased the Klipsch KSW-12 for $289.00.
    I couldn't be happier. I think the set does a fantastic job for both movies and music, although I confess to using them much more for movies. I did quite a bit of research and found the Klipsch to be far superior to the JBL NSP set which was mentioned.
    The price you're seeing on Ebay seems to be a pretty good one - I ran across a one time special that might be difficult to match. I'd say go for it! You won't be disapointed. The biggest thing I can say is that with the Quintets, you won't feel as though you've purchased budget speakers even though you saved ALOT of $$$.
    -John
    ------------------
    John Holbrook
    MY DVD Collection

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would continue to brouse ebay and look for the Paradigm cinema setup or the energy take5 setup. You can find these new for the same price. You may not be able to find the paradigm. I personally was looking for the same as you. It came down to the klipsch quintet or energy take5. I was lucky I found someone selling a used Def Tech Procinema100 in my neighborhood. I scored that set up for $650. Way better than the klipsch, or the energy.

9. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I have a set of Quintets that I just recently upgraded (I still use the 2 surrounds, for now) and I really like them. I have listened to many small speaker setups similiar to the Klipsch and I found, for the price, the Klipsch were the best deal. If your primary use out of them will be for movies, I say get the Quintets, if your primary use will be music, get the Energy Take 5's. Either way you can't go wrong and both of these speaker sets are inexpensive and blow the much more expensive Bose systems out of the water.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Paul,
    I could bundle you the quintets + the KSW12 sub for $500. Let me know if you are interested.
    --
    Holadem

11. Jeffrey G

Jeffrey G Agent

I have the Quintets and the KSW-10. I agree that the Quintets are great for movies but not very impressive for music. I also agree that the KSW-10 is not a very impressive sub. I have a friend that bought a $150 RCA sub from Radio Shack that sounds better than my KSW-10.
    ------------------
    Jeff Gossett

12. Len Berkoski

Len Berkoski Stunt Coordinator

Holadem,
    I sent you a private message on your post above. Can you check on it?
    Thanks.

13. Len Berkoski

Len Berkoski Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any links to an online site that sells the KSW-12? I bought the Quintet/KSW-10 package, and was toying around with the idea of returning the sub for a better one.

14. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I would have to agree with the above posts. I have a full review of the speakers on my web site. I still own them and use them in my 4x3 living room HT system. They are great for movies and DPL shows/programming. They do Ok with 5.1 music but with 2-channel are not all that impressive, but get the job done...
    Like I always say... only YOU can be the judge of what is good and not good with you ears/room/system, so it is always best to audition any and all speakers that you may be considering for your system... like movies, not everyone can agree on them all! Best to use the force… [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

15. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

quote: . . . the Klipsch to be far superior to the JBL NSP set which was mentioned.
    [/quote]
    Not likely!! Based on what I auditioned vs. the JBL NSP1's, the JBL blew away the little Klipsch in dynamic playback and extremely super flat frequency musical playback, . . . making the JBL NSP1's excellent for Music and Blockbuster DVD Movies!!
    Sound & Vision visually shows why some said about the Klipsch quote: . . . bit bright and colored... not very natural . . . [/quote]
    [​IMG]
    Frequency Response
    front left/right.... 188 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.4 dB
    center................ 156 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    surround........... 188Hz to 20 kHz ±3.5 dB
    Now compare the above with the JBL NSP1's frequency response (same test conditions & standards by Tom Nousaine)
    [​IMG]
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right........... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center............................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround................... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
    FYI: For more JBL INFO and linked reviews, see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/JBL_Labs.html My HT Enthusiasts Website
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on November 16, 2001 at 08:00 PM]