Klipsch quintet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 16, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Does anyone know if these speakers are any good or not? Pairs of them are going for about $65 on eBay so I thought about buying 4 of them to use as my fronts and rears. I am pretty happy with my center channel speaker so I think I'll keep that, but have some really cheap bookshelfs as my others. They look appealing to me because I am in a dorm and smaller speakers are always a plus. Any comments about these speakers would be helpful. I am using a Yamaha HTR-5560 as my receiver.

2. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Hey, I have been laughed at for owning quintets. My wife didn't like my full size speakers all over the place, so I bought these little quintets (4+center) for $300. I cross them over at 120hz to an SVS 16-46PCi. Eveyone who has heard them has loved them in my setup. They have NO bass capabilities, but sound awesome when placed correctly and crossed over at 120hz. I have read that they have no bass output below 200hz, but that is bull. I mounted mine on the wall 5' above the floor and 30 inches off the side walls and have good bass down to about 140hz and -3db at 120hz. I agree that they probably would not do well away from the wall, but for me they work well. I should tell you that I have always been a fan of equalization, and I do use them to flatten the response of the tiny quintets, but they did sound pretty good before equalization. They may not be the best speakers out there, but for their size and cost, I am very pleasantly surprised by their performance.

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I too have 4 quintets as my mains & surrounds. They are great for what they are/cost. If you have no sub I wouldn't recommend them. I would also check UBID.COM for the quintets. They are the ONLY online authorized seller. If an ebay seller states warranty, hes wrong.
    Secondly, If you don't need the mounting option of the quintets, I would look into the KSB 1.1 from klipsch(also on UBID). They have a 5.25 inch driver instead of quintets 3 inch. I would bet they sounded better?????
    I recently put a down payment on a pair of RF-3 mains from Klipsch and plan on mounting my 4 quintets on my back wall for surrounds (should be interesting)
    Side note: I did buy one pair from ubid & one pair from ebay with no problems.

4. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I think I may buy 4 of them for my fronts and rears. My center channel and subwoofer are Jensen. Is it okay to mix brands like this (Klipsch and Jensen)? I plan to upgrade them in the future too, but don't have the cash right now.

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

David,
    The Klipsch KSB1.1's can be found for close to the same price as the quintet's and sound a heck of a lot better. I'm a really big Klipsch fan but I was dissappointed with the quintet's.

Frank

6. Brian Johnson

For a "temporary" setup I would say get em. As far as brand mixing I don't see a problem. I would invest in an radio shack SPL meter if you don't already have one. The quintets are probably more efficient(louder/watt) than your center. But you can just send more power to the center to balance everything out.
    The quintets were part of my first 5.1 setup. And for what I paid well worth it. I have had them for almost 2 years now without wanting to upgrade till now (and thats just because I now have room for big speakers(which will also be klipsch)) But like I said, the quintets will still be part of my system as surrounds.
    However, let me just say my opinion is just that..opinion. I havent listened to ANY other similarly priced speakers. If anyone else can chime in with a quality speaker for under $40/speaker(shipped) then please do.
    P.S. just seen Franks reply. See, I told ya I shoulda got the ksb1.1's. Damnit Frank. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, they can be had about the same price. I didnt even see the ksbs being sold until AFTER I bought the quins.

7. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Frank, what is it about the quintets thats so bad? I have a decent enough subwoofer so I don't expect them to put out much bass, also I am only using them for DVD's. I never play music. Are these the same speakers that are found in the Promedia 5.1 desktop setup? Because I think those sound awesome. Maybe I should get a pair of ksb1.1's for my fronts and a pair of quintets for my rears so that I can have both.

8. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I will be getting two of the quintet centre to be used as
    my surrounds.

9. Brian Johnson

Well. I think in either case you can't go wrong. I think the ksbs would be a bit more expensive. If you like the promedia, have a sub, and mainly watch DVDs then the quintets are a good choice. I am half tempted just to sell you my four quintets(they're white though) and get a pair of the ksb for my rear surrounds. As I said before I am getting new mains on Jan. 5th.

Either way. Keep us posted on what you decided.

10. Frank Carter

David,

The quintet's aren't the same as the Promedia's, different horn's and 3" drivers. I've been more satisfied w/my Promedia's 2.1's than I was w/the quintet's sound. When I purchased a pair, I couldn't achieve satisfactory blend with my sub(Infinity IL120s). The sound was very harsh and tinny, maybe I was expecting too much.

My brother has a pair of the KSB1.1's and they simply do everything better. With a 5.25" woofer it provides about 3x more surface area to move air. It's able to provide more dynamic sound without working as hard. Klipsch's freq response says they go down to 65Hz while I belive the quintet's go to around 120Hz before dropping off. Most receiver x-overs are set to around 80Hz. With KSB's you won't have your sub trying to reproduce the higher bass notes(which can make it easier to locate). If you could do a A/B demo I'm sure you'd see what I was talking about. Maybe you could try to find a dealer near you and see the difference between the SB-1's and quintet's, that would give you and better idea of the difference.

I would also advise to and at least try and match your front three speakers for proper timbre matching. I'm quite sure the Jensen will not match the tonal quality of any Klipsch speakers. Matching the sub isn't that important.

11. Brian Johnson

Well. I've been thinking.
    Since I am upgrading my mains to the RF-3's and have a ksc-c1 center(a match to the sb1). If you are looking at entry level prices. I would sell my 4 quintets for $100 + shipping to you. We both are in Indiana so it wouldnt be too much. (unless you felt like driving to South Bend) I figure $100 will get me a pair of the ksbs. This way, you get your 4 speakers, I get my surrounds. The speakers are white,have never been played hard,perfect condition/have original boxes/manuals/etc.
    Just a thought. I paid $170 for the 4 speakers. So I am not exactly profiting off the deal [​IMG]
    EDIT: These are no longer for sale :p)

12. Frank Carter

Hey Brian,

I just noticed you said you can get the quintets for $40?

I also think I'm giving off the wrong impression, I'm not Klipsch bashing like some do here. I own a Klipsch Ref 3 HT and before this I had two different Synergy HT's. I don't think I'll find another brand of speaker that pleases me. The quintet's are my least favorite Klipsch but if you're strapped on space, I would still have them over anything like Bo$e. Now that I think of it, it seems like I'm the only person I've seen who doesn't think the quintet's are worth the money. I'm wondering whether the pair I had were defective some how? However, if you could find them for $40 they'd be worth it.

Frank

13. Brian Johnson

Oh. I didnt take what you said as bashing.
    The KSB has a larger driver and a larger horn. So. Going on those specs alone they "should" sound better. Thats why I am willing to sacrifice my 4 quins for a pair of ksbs', which is a match to my center (the mains wont be a perfect match, but I have heard good stories about the combo,where the ksc-c1 center matched better than the RC-3 center) And I am going for an all-black speaker setup.
    Ebay sellers usually sell a pair of quins for $65 and $15/$20 to ship. So for $80 bucks you get a pair. Thats where I came up with the figure. Best ebay price I found for the ksb is $78/pair + $20 to ship.
    Oh. On UBID if your lucky either model can be had for less. And they are an authorized seller [​IMG]

14. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I saw that Cnet rated these Quintet speakers a 4 out of 10. That review is making hold off on purchasing them. Cnet does, however, rate the Quintet II's much higher. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two kinds?

15. Brian Johnson

David. Look at the user review section on C-Net. 96% positive reviews from 26 users.

Anyone interested in buying my 4 quins I will be posting in the Hardware For Sale later today.

16. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

17. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Agent

Can the Quintet's be wall mounted with the brackets that come with them, or do they require a different bracket for wall mounting?

Also, assuming they are used with a sub, would this set up be good for music as well as DVD/theater or is it best to have a separate pair of stereo speakers for music?

Thanks.

18. Brian Johnson

Yes, you can wall mount them with the factory stands. There are mount holes on each side of the base where you just slide them over a screw and your done. They will mount just about any way you want them.
    For movies they are excellent(but like you said, needs a sub) but for music they are just "OK".
    I have used my quintets now for a couple years without wanting to upgrade, but recently put a down payment on some klipsch rf-3's for my mains. However, I plan on keeping my quintets and experimenting with a 4 rear surround setup.