1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_L, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

i'm on the market to buy a pair of RF-3 II towers. Klipsch's site recommends the Rc-3 II center channel.

My question is, is there any harm done by going for the Rc-7 center channel?

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I have the rf-5's with the rc-7 and I can say that they use different size magnets for the horns so they have a slightly different sound in the upper range. If the rf-3's and rc-3 have the same horns then get the rc-3, but then you may not notice the difference. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the rc-3 uses 6" woofers and you want the rc-7 because it has 8" woofers to match the rf-3's, am I right?

Daniel Smith

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Or maybe your worried about the rc-7 overpowering the rf-3's, I wouldn't worry about that.

Daniel Smith

4. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

DanielSmi,

I'm more concerned with the fuller sound with the RC-7 center. More low end dialog.

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

well if you're using a sub you won't have to worry about anything under your crossover point. The only way to find out would be to audition them. I've never heard both only the rc-7.

Daniel Smith

6. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

The Klipsch RC-7 will overpower your Klipsch RF-3 IIs. It uses a different horn and might not be the best match with your Klipsch RF-3 IIs. I would recommend trying both, the Klipsch RC-3 II and the Klipsch RC-7 and decide which is better for your home theater.

7. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

thanks for the replies.

8. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Ron, there's no such thing as overpowering other speakers. You can adjust the levels as you wish through your receiver.

However, the RC-7 has a slightly different tone than the RF-3 due to its different (better) drivers. I suspect, however, that the differences of timbre are pretty minor and that the improvement in sound quality from the center will be well worth it. Of course, it might make you want to upgrade to RF-7 mains but that's another story.

9. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

well I wouldn't mind a pair of RF-7's but well...I don't have the cash! [​IMG]

10. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I never understood the argument that one speaker would overpower another either, since you could of course adjust the levels for each. For my Klipsch RB-5 bookshelves with the RC-3 center I had to lower the center several dbs to get them to match, even though they are the same line.
    Getting them to sound the same, though, is a different story. The RC-3 actually already has a slightly different sound than its matching bookshelves, and it is that which will stick out in any system.
    I too have thought of buying the RC-7 but am also afraid it will match poorly with the RB-5's ... RonL, let us know what you end up with and what you think of it. Be sure and buy online whatever you do, you'll save hundreds of dollars ...

11. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

the purchase isn't gonna be for awhile...I'm just finding out as much as I can so I know what I want when it comes time to buy.

Yes, I will let you know what it sounds like.

Ron.

12. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

IF you like the RC-7, Why not just get 3 of them for the front array? That would be the BEST match of any other combination.

13. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Very, VERY, expensive.

No, strike that. I thought you meant the towers. I think you can get a pretty good deal on the center online.