What's new

Klipsch question (1 Viewer)

Ron_L

Second Unit
i'm on the market to buy a pair of RF-3 II towers. Klipsch's site recommends the Rc-3 II center channel.

My question is, is there any harm done by going for the Rc-7 center channel?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I have the rf-5's with the rc-7 and I can say that they use different size magnets for the horns so they have a slightly different sound in the upper range. If the rf-3's and rc-3 have the same horns then get the rc-3, but then you may not notice the difference. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the rc-3 uses 6" woofers and you want the rc-7 because it has 8" woofers to match the rf-3's, am I right?

Daniel Smith

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Or maybe your worried about the rc-7 overpowering the rf-3's, I wouldn't worry about that.

Daniel Smith

Ron_L

Second Unit
DanielSmi,

I'm more concerned with the fuller sound with the RC-7 center. More low end dialog.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
well if you're using a sub you won't have to worry about anything under your crossover point. The only way to find out would be to audition them. I've never heard both only the rc-7.

Daniel Smith

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
The Klipsch RC-7 will overpower your Klipsch RF-3 IIs. It uses a different horn and might not be the best match with your Klipsch RF-3 IIs. I would recommend trying both, the Klipsch RC-3 II and the Klipsch RC-7 and decide which is better for your home theater.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Ron, there's no such thing as overpowering other speakers. You can adjust the levels as you wish through your receiver.

However, the RC-7 has a slightly different tone than the RF-3 due to its different (better) drivers. I suspect, however, that the differences of timbre are pretty minor and that the improvement in sound quality from the center will be well worth it. Of course, it might make you want to upgrade to RF-7 mains but that's another story.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I never understood the argument that one speaker would overpower another either, since you could of course adjust the levels for each. For my Klipsch RB-5 bookshelves with the RC-3 center I had to lower the center several dbs to get them to match, even though they are the same line.
Getting them to sound the same, though, is a different story. The RC-3 actually already has a slightly different sound than its matching bookshelves, and it is that which will stick out in any system.
I too have thought of buying the RC-7 but am also afraid it will match poorly with the RB-5's ... RonL, let us know what you end up with and what you think of it. Be sure and buy online whatever you do, you'll save hundreds of dollars ...

Ron_L

Second Unit
the purchase isn't gonna be for awhile...I'm just finding out as much as I can so I know what I want when it comes time to buy.

Yes, I will let you know what it sounds like.

Ron.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
IF you like the RC-7, Why not just get 3 of them for the front array? That would be the BEST match of any other combination.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Very, VERY, expensive.

No, strike that. I thought you meant the towers. I think you can get a pretty good deal on the center online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks