Klipsch ProMedia Q's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinOuld, Jun 20, 2002.

1. KevinOuld

KevinOuld Auditioning

Hey everyone,
    This is my first question on here so please let me know if I am posting in the wrong area or what not.
    Ok I use my computer for my DVD/TV/Sat Viewing pleasure as I am limited to my bedroom for now. Right now I just run the Klipsch ProMedia(the original model can't remember right now but has the 4 sattelites and sub). This is hooked straight to the sound card at the moment. Well I have now decided to buy a Receiver and use the Optical output from my Sound Card into the Receiver to get my DTS/DD(Marantz 5200).
    I have a dilemma now. I would like to keep using the promedia speakers for the time being. The satellites can be hooked up easily to the receiver and I am going to purchase a klipsch centre channel to go with those. Now for my dilemma, the Sub. I would also like to use it for now. But how it stands right now there is no separate input on the amp for the sub.
    In case you aren't familiar with the promedia's I will try to explain it as best I can. It has a little preamp/volume control module which attaches to one of the satellites. Thsi controls main, sub and surround volume controls. this connects to the sound card via to mini jacks. This also connects to the amp via a DIN cable. The the satellites connect to amp via regular spring terminals. Following me? [​IMG] Ok So I have a couple options I figure:
    1. Make up a cable which would Y the two minijacks into one femal rca and hook up via a subwoofer cable to the receiver and hope the klipsh preamp doesn't cause any probs(I would rather not pass through the klipsch preamp as it induces some noise)
    2. Try and figure out the DIN connections somehow and again making a cable which would plug into the DIN connection and just hook to the subwoofer input bypasses all the klipsch stuff except the actual amp(my choice)
    3. Just buy a new subwoofer and upgrade the satellites as money permits.(I always like buying new stuff. [​IMG] But would like to wait a bit)
    If anyone has any insight it would be excellent. I do have some jerry-rigging skills in my background and am quite competent with a soldering iron etc.. I used to install big car stereo systems so I know a little bit about this stuff.
    Thanks in advance. Hoping someone has attempted this before.
    Kevin

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

The sound output from the computer goes into the satellite with the controls, through those controls, out the satellite and into the sub/amp unit. I don't know if the Klipsch sub uses an active crossover with bi-amping, or a passive crossover, but either way, the sub signal is only isolated inside the sub/amp unit.

Maybe this will work. You have the soundcard connected to the receiver via an optical digital connection, and all four satellites connected to the receiver's speaker outputs. Try connecting the satellite to the soundcard in the normal way, via the two mini connectors, and connect that satellite to the sub/amp. This way, the receiver gets the digital signal from the soundcard and uses it to give an amped signal to the satellites, while at the same time, the control satellite is being used with the regular cables to deliver a signal to the sub. As long as there can be a signal output on both the digital output and the regular outputs at the same time, this should work.

3. KevinOuld

KevinOuld Auditioning

Not a bad idea! [​IMG] The signal wouldn't actually go through the satellite per se. The little control unit is removable. It just happens to be mounted on the bottom of one of the satellites. I was hoping to connect to sub to the receiver though. I can experiment once I receive my receiver I guess. [​IMG]
    Thanks. Any other insight from anyone would be appreciated. [​IMG]
    Kevin

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I measured the drop off frequency of the Klipsch 2.1 subwoofer to be around 45hz. I'd consider it more as a bass module that aids the speakers and not a separate subwoofer to attach to a receiver.

I don't think you'd notice much of a difference if you ran the subwoofer as a separate than how you can run it now.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

KevinOuld stated he was using the four-satellite system, and it should be noted that the subwoofer units between the two systems are not the same. The 2.1 has a single 6.5" driver, while KevinOuld's system (which is not actually the 4.1, but the older version of it, possibly the v2.400) has dual 6.5" drivers (and 200 watts more power, too). Now I don't think the addition of another driver of the same size would extend the frequency range of a system, although Klipsh's own specs do claim that the new 4.1 system has a frequency response of 29Hz-20kHz, compared to the 2.1 at 31Hz-20kHz, that's 2Hz lower for the 4.1. Not a significant difference, I realize, and of course I agree that this particular subwoofer unit could not truly substitute for a true subwoofer unit. I'm just pointing out that his sub unit may be a little better than you think.
    The sub unit from the 5.1 set would come closer, though, with dual 8" drivers, response down to 25Hz (claimed), and another 100 watts. [​IMG]