What's new

Klipsch promedia 4.1 or 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have a Turtle Beach Montego with Altec Lansing ACS495 speakers and I recently put win2k on my computer and win2k doesn't like them. (I did searches and found that my setup won't work to its full potential on win2k) So I was thinking about getting the Klipsch 4.1 or 5.1 system and a Turtle Beach SantaCruz so that I can have true surround sound and keep using win2k. Does anyone have the 5.1 system, or has anyone heard how it sounds? Is the extra $100 worth having the front center channel? Would it be overkill considering my dorm room is about 8' x 10' (almost made Nigel Tufnel's mistake there)?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Here is a very informative review about the 4.1 version:
3DSoundsurge
I myself have the Videologic Digitheatre dts system and am very satisfied with it. But it is a little more expensive (500-600$).
------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Since I don't plan on using my pc to watch dvd's I am considering the 2.1s has a upgrade to my Altec Lansings w/sub. I demo'ed these @ Comp USA and they sound really good. However, I have to convince my self they sound about $100 better than what I have and also how much they will get used. So far, I have not been able to do that...
But the 2.1's do sound sweet
biggrin.gif

------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 16, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
You should dump that Santa Cruz card and get the Hercules Game Theater XP, its a much better setup for the $$$. Now with the 4.1 to 5.1 you must realize that you will not be getting any DD or DTS bitstream out of the PC, really just save the money and get the 4.1s, they kick mucho asso. 4.1s + Hercules Game Theater XP = Audio Bliss.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Kelley,
the Santa Cruz and GTXP use the same audio processor, and have drivers that come from the same source. there's absolutely no reason for one to get the GTXP over the TBSC unless he/she needs the extra connectivity provided by the breakout box.
Liam,
while your Montego might not be the best solution for Win2k, it can be made to work almost as well as under Win9x (check www.3dss.com and www.vortexofsound.com for help). If you decide to upgrade, the Philips Acoustic Edge (my Win2k card of choice right now, but I haven't used an Audigy yet), the SB Audigy, or any Cirrus Logic CS4630-based card (such as the Tutle Beach Santa Cruz or Hercules GTXP) would be a good choice for 2.1/4.1/5.1 sound. As far as speakers go, you may want to upgrade your sound card first before getting new speakers. IIRC the 495's use a USB connection for volume control and the like, but otherwise there is no reason that moving to Win2k should negatively impact them. The Klipsch speakers recommended are highly regarded, but come with a hefty price tag also (I had a set of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and couldn't convince myself they were worth $180, so back they went, and I got a pair of sennheiser HD-495 headphones instead for $75)
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is that the 495 speakers are USB controlled and there are no working win2k USB audio drivers to allow me to use the speaker management software. At first I thought this would be OK. I could just set the sound by ear using the knob and buttons on the right speaker, but a couple days ago I lost power and the system reset itself to Stereo mode instead of Pro-Logic and the right and left speaker volumes are messed up. The only way to fix that is to use the speaker management software which doesn't work without a USB audio driver. I could go the cheap route and go back to 98 or ME, but I'd rather stick with win2k and get a new system where I could have real rear surround channels. It seems that the Klipsch, though expensive, is the best way to go. I've heard both the Klipsch 4.1 system and the creative labs dtt2500. The Klipsch sounded great and the dtt2500 sucked. Anything else for under $300 that will be great for DVDs?

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The Klipsch speakers are the best, plain and simple. Every review I've ever seen on them confirms this.
The Hercules GameTheater XP has some problems working with Windows XP, despite having 'XP' in it's name. (This I've read in Maximum PC.)
The SoundBlaster Audigy supports DD5.1 decoding. Get this card with the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s and you got the sound aspect of an HTPC worked out, unless you want DTS decoding. I'm still looking for a DTS solution.
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
swouttakes.jpg

Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, another post after over a month! I forgot to post what I actually bought. I got the Philips Accoustic Edge 5.1 card and the Klipsch 4.1 pro media. Sounds awesome. Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. Now to try to sell my old speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks