Klipsch + Polk= a bad combination?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be moving towards a 7.1 setup, and I'd like to upgrade my speakers at the same time. Currently, I have the Polk RM 6600 satellites with the Polk 350 sub.

I plan on picking up the Denon 3803 shortly, which then leaves me with the "chore" of moving towards 7.1. My primary goal is to move towards a 7.1 setup, but I'd also like stronger mid-bass than the satellites can offer in the front.

Would simply adding the Klipsch RF-3II's to the front throw the whole system out of wack, or could it be done until I am able to upgrade elsewhere? I thought of moving towards some of Polk's larger towers, but since the word on a Klipsch/Denon pairing has been so strong, I wanted to check that out.

2. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

Actually surprisingly enough it isn't that bad. Thats what i'm doing at the moment. Alls you really need to do is raise the individual speaker volumes on the polk through the receiver. I have all my polk speakers set at +7 to even them out with the klipsch. As for the blending of sound, its not to bad at all.

3. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Interesting.

I realize this set up would not be ideal, but the Polks are a fairly neutral speaker and it would seem the Klipsch towers would match well with the warm Denon.

Chris: Its good to know that there is someone with this exact system (Denon 38xx receiver, RF-3II fronts, and Polk RM 6600 sat/sub) and knows that it is working well for them. Do you have any other calibration tips?

4. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I have the rf7's for fronts and polk rt speakers with a denon 4802. I figure the setup is plenty good for the time being until more money is saved.