What's new

Klipsch or JBL? (1 Viewer)

DrewGoodson

Auditioning
Hey guys, I am a newbie to home-theater and I am looking for my first set-up. I have an 800 dollar budget and I am looking for the best system for my money. I have pretty much decided against an HTIB because I hear they don't sound too good for music. I think I am going to go with a receiver and two main speakers because of my limited budget and will expand later. Right now, I am pretty set on a H/K receiver (probably the 325), but I am going crazy on the speakers. Out of all the ones that I have listened to at Best Buy the two brands I like the best are Klipsch and JBL specifically the SF-2 with Klipsch and the JBL E-80. I just can decide between the two. Can anyone offer input?

I am also open to other recommandations as well on different speakers or recievers that maybe a better deal. Also, where the best place to buy speakers would be great too.

Thanks,
Drew

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
It's all about what sounds best to you. I've heard both and currently own the JBL's. I've got the E90's but they are very close to the E80's. The E90's were listed as the same price at my local BB. A friend hooked me up w/ employee pricing and the JBL's were too good to pass up. I liked the Klipsch alot too. Listen to them as best you can and go with what you feel sounds the best. You can't go wrong with either brand.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't like klipsch, and I don't particularly like JBL. I am a big fan of the paradigm performance series for entry-level systems. Atoms or titans are incredible performers, take a listen. Bottom line though is listen and pick what sounds best to you. I know JBL and klipsch have a lot of fans, but klipsch especially drives me nuts. IT's all subjective.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
You can preorder the Jbl E80 at onecall for $171 each. For that price, I'd get the Jbl's. The Klipsch's are more efficient, but I don't think you will find them for less then $300 each. I have Jbl Studio speakers (4 s-38's and s-center) and I think they sound very good. Personally, if I was swap my Jbl's for Klipsch I would save up and go for the Reference series, but for the time being they are too expensive for me.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Circuit City has the Infinity Alpha 50 mains on clearance for $599.98/pair before $25 gift card rebate. They're sold out online, but if you live near a CC B&M it might be worth your time to check stock.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard a rumor that JBL is going to put their upgraded Studio Series on the market sometime this spring, but I haven't heard if this is really true or exactly when this might happen. Does anyone have any more information?

FWIW, I recently moved my HT into a huge room, and find that the S36II's as both front and rears (with the S-Center II as a center) don't give me the great sound that I got when the HT was in a smaller room. I'd like to get towers for the front and S38's or equivalent for the surrounds and rears, but prefer to stick with the JBL Studios if possible. The reason is that I auditioned a LOT of other speakers in my home before finding something that satisfied me, and this satisfaction came from the Studio's only. I don't want to go through that entire purchase/audition/return mess again! :frowning:

Anyway, when will the new Studios be out?

Thanks, Bill

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Around 1996/97, my goal for my HT was to sound as good if not better than my local DD-5.1 Cinema Theaters in the SF Bay Area. It turned out that when I thought the Theater Sounded glorious, in every case that I looked at the speakers after the movie finished, they were JBL's! So, a little more research revealed that the JBL Consumer N-, S- and now E-Series utilize designs and technologies employed in JBL's professional recording studio monitors to deliver legendary JBL sound quality and set new standards in their respective categories.

For more INFO, read my webpage Why you should add JBL Speakers "N", "S" & "E"-Series to your audition list!

Phil

Drew, I have a few reccomendations and opinions for you. I think Phil made a great suggestion with the JBL post. JBL is great for home theater. I listen to 50% music/50% movies, and to me, JBL doesn't cut the cake musically; but keep in mind everyone's ear is different. That's why auditioning is important.

I would listen to Boston, they have great sound for the money. Also try paradigms if the Boston's sound too airy for you. Both brands have bookshelves that can be used as mains for roughly $200/pr and mini-speakers for 150ish/pair for rears.

Joey_V

Second Unit
i have the klipsch sf-2 and i think that they are very dynamic for home theater. also, the horn-loaded tweeter may not appeal to all listeners - but to those that it appeals to, it is usually because of its "live effect".

i feel like the klipsch is the better one of the two.

however, i like axioms better than my klipsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks