klipsch,mirage,paradigm??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by neil h, Oct 6, 2002.

1. neil h

neil h Auditioning

hi,looking to get some new speakers in the near future,i have heard the klipsch rc3 11`s the frx7 mirage and the paradigm ref 60`s like them all ,any ideas what would be the best choice? thanks

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Need more info:
    room size
    likely amp /it's pricerange
    pricerange for speakers
    other equip.
    speaker position in room
    type of music / movies you watch/listen too....% of each
    sat or cable
    cd or sacd

3. neil h

neil h Auditioning

hi room is 20x 25,yamahahtr5560 reciever,mirage frx 15 sub,sattelite,mostly hard rock ,but will be useing them mostly 80% for home theater ,sci fi ,action movies,thanks again

4. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

the Klipsch model you heard is a center speaker, the klipsch sound a little bright{i love my klf20's} good for Home Theater, and loud rock music, the Paradigm's are good to very good speakers, and Mirage are also good, not as loud as the other choices, buy what sounds the best to you

5. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Neil, I'm gonna say go with the klipsch, the dynamics of action films and the impact of hard rock will be easier to achieve with Klipsch when paired with your Yamaha.....
    Hard Rock CAFE's use them , so do the new Regal cinema's....EFFICIANCY is very helpful in a large room with a moderately powerful rcvr......

6. neil h

neil h Auditioning

thanks for your help, i did like the sound of the klipsch rf3 11`s,i didn`t really know to much about them ,but i think they will be the ones thanks again

7. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I run the RF-3 II's off Adcom Seperates (100 x 2) and they get brutually loud..........god I love listening to "Comfortably Numb" at about 110 db!

8. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I would get Paradigm Studio 40s, arn't they in a similar price range to Klipsch RF3?

10. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

cHRIS ,
    He has an htr5560 ,listens to "over-the-top" movies and some rock music...he needs efficiancy ,slam, and BALLS.....
    STOP already..................

11. neil h

neil h Auditioning

I assume from your last post the klipsch is still my best bet??or...... maybe i need a better reciever.ahhhhh

12. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Another vote for Klipsch[​IMG] Still, liston to everything you can!

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Matt, You posted that most regal cinemas use Klipsch however the last time I went to any Edwards Cinema they used all JBL speakers in Imax or in a standard theater. Also if you visit JBL.com you may find out that 80% of commercial THX certified theaters use JBL equiptment.

Anyways, you like loud volumes and reference level for movies? Then I wouldn't get the Klipsch RF3 to be teamed with your Yamaha htr5560. The yamaha may sound fatiguing when pushed and while teamed with the brightness of klipsch it may sound too harsh to listen at loud volumes. Cymbals will start sounding like bursts of white noise and the sounds of movies may take on a bright coloration. I've witnissed this first hand with a 5x100wpc yamaha receiver and Klipsch SF-3 speakers in a home environment. 3 of my friends watching it agreed that the movie (Tombstone) became no longer enjoyable after an hour listening at reference.

Sure the Klipsch may make other speakers sound muffled when comparing and are efficient to blast at live performing levels. But you also have to ask yourself how long can you listen to these levels before ear fatigue.

Believe it or not, I'm not alone in thinking Klipsch speakers sound too bright. I just don't want to see someone that has to make a purchase because nobody opposed the bandwagon.

For the record, I don't hate Klipsch. I'm just in a disagreement with the lovers that's all.