What's new

Klipsch: Love/Hate (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I hate to say it, but I think Im falling out of love with my Klipsch RF3's. At 1st, they were a large improvement over my previous Cerwin Vega's, but now (especially since my wife has mentioned it,,,over and over and over again), I have noticed that for musical purposes, the Klipsch sound good, but it seems as if there is something missing. Additionally, my wife says that she cant listen to them for very long without getting a headache. The more I listen to them, the more I think she may be right. However, for HT use, we both agree that they sound incredible. I have tried bi-amping them with the help of a Parasound 885 Amp and while it improves the overall sound, she still gets headaches with music.

My question is this; are there any Klipsch or ex-Klipsch users out there that initially loved the Klipsch sound, went out and bought a pair, loved em at 1st, only to discover that they did not like them for musical use, went out and bought another set of speakers and found true hapiness? (I know, run on sentence)

If so, what speakers did you replace them with and how did they compare?

Like I said, I love Klipsch for HT, but I think I need to find a happy medium for music and HT.

BTW, Im running a Denon 2802 with a Parasound 885 Amp, Klipsch fronts (RF3-II's), center (RC3-II) with Polk Audio Bookselves (dont know the model #, but I think they run about $75/each) and a Klipsch quintet rear center.

Any personal experience with this issue would be greatl appreciated.

TIA,
Phil

Walt N

Second Unit
"My question is this; are there any Klipsch or ex-Klipsch users out there that initially loved the Klipsch sound, went out and bought a pair, loved em at 1st, only to discover that they did not like them for musical use, went out and bought another set of speakers and found true hapiness?"

Yes, twice. I had a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls 20 years ago that started getting on my nerves so I replaced them with RTR Series III speakers.

More recently I tried Klipsch again with the Reference series. They started getting on my nerves after only about a month so I replaced them (eventually) with Swans Divas and then Onix Rockets. I am now happy and content with all my things audio.

Klipsch is different, they're great for some but they're not for everyone.

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a pair of RB-5 Reference Bookshelf speakers for my bedroom system. I then picked up a KLF-C7 as a center for my main theater system. I have an old pair of towers speakers as mains for now. After a move to a new place I set up the RB-5s as rear surrounds and haven't looked back. I love my Klipsch for HT applications but I grew tired of them for music. I'm now looking at Polk LSi9s for my bedroom system (mostly music).

Hope my ramblings have helped you some. . .

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I liked Klipsch for 0.68 seconds which for me, was a lifetime. (Star Trek)

Everytime I audition Klipsch speakers whether Synergy or Reference7, I still think that the highs are harsh. No matter what type of music I'll listen to on Klipschs, it sounds artificial. (Sounds like a speaker) The only time Klipsch sound good is when they are playing very loud to replicate a live production. In which case the live production sounds heavily amplified to accomodate the crowd.

I don't "hate" klipsch... because without them, Bose wouldn't have any competition in Class F.

(Just playing)

JordanS

Second Unit
My Klipsch RF-3 II's, which are for sale by the way, sound really nice. With seperates, they maintain their composure at high levels. They sound very live and upfront.

I loved listening to rock and roll music on them.

I think they are great speakers personally. I have upgraded to B&W, however.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like Im not alone. Im not trying to bash Klipsch by any means, like I said, for HT, they are incredible, and played at high volumes, they sound great for music. Im just looking for a better sound for music at lower volumes which is what the system is used for 50% of the time (probably more like 75% for my wife).

I wont buy speakers I cant demo, so Im limited to the local retail stores selection. Some of the speakers that have peaked my interest are Polk's, Infinity, Boston Acoustic, B&W and Paradigm. Would like to stay under $800 for 2 mains. (not even sure if thats possible with the B&W). I will have to wait on the center for awhile. Any of you converters had any experience with these. I know I have to go demo them for myself, but I appreciate any input I can get.

Phil

BrianDD

Agent
I feel the same way. For theater applications (which is what I am most concerned about) they are great. For music they can leave a little to be desired. I have found a pretty good balance with my setup though. I have RP-5s up front, an RC-3 center and RS-3 side surrounds and Quintet rear surrounds. I used to run a Parasound 855 amp on everything but the rears but I have found that the RP-5s sound much smoother through an HK PA2000 for 2 channel listening. The Parasound amp sounds much brighter to me and doesn't mix well with the already bright Klispch. I also use the parametric eq built into my Sony DA5ES to tone down the mids and highs at certain freqs and boost the midbass. I am now very happy with them no matter what I listen too.

MarkSB

Auditioning
Klipsch speakers can at times be overwhelming.
they must be carfefully matched to the electonics driving them. this includes CD players too.
lower-cost units usuaully will not work very well.
I had Klipsh speakers for over 25 years now.
I prefer the older 3-way models ( Forte and Heresy ).
for center, I use the KLF-C7 and KSP-S6 for surrounds.
really great for home theater.
can be too bright at times for music but this mostly depends on the material. when CD's first came out, most were too bright anyway.
I tried other brands but once bitten by the Klipsh sound, I have to stay with them.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I USED to own Klipsch and my wife was the same way. Movies were fine but then again a lot of speakers are fine on movies only, music is where you really see what a speaker can do.

My wife refused to be in the room with music playing over the Klipsch speakers, they hurt her ears too much, they bugged mine too, just not to that extent.

Personally I should have never bought my Klipsch, but thats what I get for going on my brother's recs only, back when I knew nothing about audio stuff.
Of course I alos thought they were great at first because they could play really loud and I thought thats what better speakers allowed you to do. Knew nothing about imaging soundstaging and all that, damn was I green then.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
When I started putting together my first decent system, I began assembling an all-Klipsch setup. If my top priority were an impressive rock and roll "wall of sound" with modest power demands, they'd still be near the top of my list.

Just as I was ready to write the check, my dealer suggested I listen to a few other brands in the same price range.

Once I heard the comparable B&Ws, it was all over.

YMMV

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
I have a full Klipsch setup that I have yet to get tired of while playing music or movies. I do think that my Legend Series speakers are quite different than the Reference series speakers in that they are less bright sounding. I do however use an Audio Control equalizer while playing music which helps in taming any brightness. I personally enjoy the Klipsch sound, never gotten any headaches from listening to them, but the Klipsch sound is definitely not for everyone.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I quite enjoy my Refs powered by an Outlaw 1050 for both Music and Movies. I've had no complaints or people 'who can't be in the room'. Different tastes is all.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
It would also make sense that the wives would be more effected by their "brightness", as they have better hearing in the higher frequency range.

Brightness is in quotes, because I have Klipsch and love them, don't seem bright to me. But everyone hears differently and you have to buy what you like.

Let us know what you end up with and what you liked about them.

Bryan

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to Polk, Infinity and Klipsch, and Klipsch got my money, I have the RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 setup, powered by a Harman Kardon AVR 520, and I love this setup. Some recievers make Klipsch speakers sound real bright, and by some people unbarable to listen to. I find with the HK it matches very well, the Denon's seem to be ok too, but I thought the Denon was a little on the bright side compared to the HK. Different people have different tastes, that's why there's a lot of speakers out there :) I just know I will probably never own a different brand of speaker than Klipsch.
Bryan I see you live in AZ (Chandler), where about are you located?

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a pair of RF-5's, a RC-7 center, and RS-3 surrounds paired with a Sony DA4ES and absolutely love it with movies AND music. They just sound so overwhelming..it's unbelievable. Of course they needed some heavy tweaking, but after i got them where i wanted, they are simply amazing..i wouldnt trade them in for anything.

Phillip, you might look into the b&w 603 S3's, i think those can be found under $1000/pair, dont quote me on that though, i may be wrong.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I've owned 3 sets of the "real" Klipsches (the old 3-ways that were actually designed by PWK); 2 sets of LaScalas and 1 set of Cornwalls. I have since moved on to what I consider much better horn speakers.
The real Klipsches have excellent dynamics and clarity that I found very attractive but a fierceness kept bugging me. I think it's because the directivity of the midrange horn was too narrow. I found that replacing the stock mid horn on the LaScala with a horn with wider dispersion, the EV SM-120A, greatly smoothed the sound on axis. Eventually I quit screwing around with the Klipsch and settled in with Altec VOTs and 605s and JBL horn gear.
www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Just another Klipsch owner adding his $0.02 :)
For HT I found the Klipsch to be far better than any other speaker I auditioned including (but not limited to) B&W, Paradigm and Definitive. For music the B&W were far better, the Paradigm and Definitive were slightly better. However, my personal use ratio (HT/Music) is approx. 95/5 so the Klipsch ended up coming home with me.
One odd thing (to me at least) is the fact that while I find the Klipsch to be very bright for standard two channel music listening, I really enjoy concert DVDs with them. I haven't figured that out yet!

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Im reaching the conclusion that what makes some Klipsch speakers to sound fatiguing for some people is the CD player. I have never read a complain when watching movies, hearing DVD Audio or SACD's.
My guess is that it is because their horns makes them extremely revealing. We most remember that a horn is a natural amplifier, so with less electrical amplification we will get more sound. But this means also that they will amplify any imperfection in the sound path.
I found a little device which can cut the piercing sound of CD's without losing detail. Here it is:
ADE-24
This is the ultimate solution that can make the cold sound of CD's to become more natural, more analog. Then, you all will not just keep your Klipsch, you will beg for them or other horn speakers to exploit the sound of real players instead of muffled recorded sound.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
because their horns makes them extremely revealing. We most remember that a horn is a natural amplifier, so with less electrical amplification we will get more sound. But this means also that they will amplify any imperfection in the sound path, INCLUDING THE AMPLIFIER!
"HORNS HONK AND ARE FATIGUING"
"METAL DOMES ARE TOO BRIGHT AND TINNY"
"SOFT DOMES SOUND VEILED LIKE THEY HAVE A BLANKET OVER THEM"
...Thank you for the over generalizations, Dr. internet,,,,
DO BLIND A/B comparisons for longer durations and decide for yourself...obviously we all hear differant things....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks