Klipsch LF-10 Reference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

I have been set on getting an SVS for my sub, or subs, depending on which room I put the HT in. Then I remember The Klipsch Lf-10 and Lf-12. Has anyone here heard them? The specs say they can put out an obscene amount of bass...120dB 1/8 space 1 meter, though I have no idea what the 1/8 space means. I was just wondering about them, they look nice...

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

My dad bought a pair of the lf-12's and let me tell you there is no need for a sub unless you have a huge room. They really kick ass...[​IMG]

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

1/4 space = one the floor against one wall. 1/8th = on the floor in a corner(against 2 walls).
    120dB/1m...1/8th might be very good, but you'd need to know more about this *spec* to make a valid quality judgement. Specifically...it would be good to know the type of input signal used(what frequency?)and what the distortion was during this 120dB blast [​IMG]
    there were some QC issues with the LF series..and with the recent introduction of the *RSW* series from Klipsch...I would recommend looking into those if you wanted some Klipsch woofage.
    The LF10 was measured by Tom Nousaine and it had decent clean output potential...but hardly a price/performance leader. For example...the VTF-2 at $499 handily outgunned the LF10 in Nousaine's tests.
    TV

4. JoeMac

JoeMac Auditioning

If you bought one of these at their original pricing structure, not a great deal. If you can get one at Ubid for $400, could be a great deal.

I have an LF-10 I 'won' at ubid over a year ago. When I got it I discovered it was one of those that had the infamous gasket leak. The good thing is that Klipsch will honor the 'new' warranty on these, 5 years. Send it to them and they will correct the problem. I'm very satisfied with mine, although it replaced an Infinity BU-120, which was a joke.

I wonder if Nousaine tested one of the early ones, with a leak? If you look at his spec charts you'll find that the LF-10 was just barely above a Klipsch KSW-10, a more or less budget sub. I've heard a KSW-10, and my LF blows it away. Since the LF-10 is a sealed enclosure I'm sure any kind of air leak would prove detrimental to it's measured output.

If you could pick one up cheap I think you'll be happy. If have have an old amp laying around, spend slighly more and get a passive SVS!