What's new

Klipsch KSW-12 or SonoSub?? (1 Viewer)

I've had my klipsch sub for about a year or so, it's ok but should I sell it and build a sonosub? is it really worth the time?

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Aaron,

Depends upon what kind of sonosub you want to build. A Shiva based should go deeper and louder. A Tempest would be even better, and a dual Tempest (like I'm building) will DESTROY it.

Just depends upon if you're looking to beat the Klipsch or go low budget. If you're not afraid to spend a few bucks you can definitely do much better.

And I'm not knocking Klipsch since I have 7 Legends in my HT. HTH...Mike

Cam S

Screenwriter
Aaron, I own a KSW-10, and have had it since december, I like it, but it just doesn't have the impact I desire, soooo, I order a Shiva, and an AVA250 to build a sub with. I'll demote the KSW-10 to the upstairs stereo setup for music duty, and the Shiva will get the HT duty. Should be interesting to compare the two.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd expect the Shiva to sound a lot better as well, as the KSW is almost certianly tuned way to high. Higher tuning pushes the increase in group delay associated with a ported enclosure into the frequency range were it will make an audible difference.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dustin, there's no doubt my Klipsch is tuned high, I mean it has next to no ouput below 25hz, maybe even higher. However, the hz it does play, it plays them well, and it sounds good. I tried it upstairs in the music system and it sounded great with 2 channel music.

Well I'm not really looking to go low dollar, but I think the dual would be a bit much right now. What kind of cost am I looking at roughly for a couple good combinations?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Dayton DVC 12" and 160W PE plate amp with a 4" flared port would be around $220-$230.

Tempest with a 250W PE plate amp and some 6" pvc pipe for the port would be around $290-$300.

Plus a little bit for shipping with both. Then depending on where you buy stuff and how much money you want to spend on the finish you could spend anywhere from less than $50 to several hundred dollars on the enclosure and finish.

Ok lets see the tempest is a 15", the shiva is a 12"? I guess I would be conserned with box size also....but the obvious lure to a dual is almost unbareable. What about a dual shiva, what plate amp to use and how big would the tube be?

Thaks for all your help guys.

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

as far as costs for a tempest-based sonosub, I plan on building one this summer once I get out of school and it looks like the cost is going to be about $450, including an ava250 plate amp. This doesn't include the price of tools since my dad has all of that.

-Drew

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My dual Tempest sonsoub will run around $925+ when completed, including the HS500 amp @ $500. You could easily knock off $200+ by going with a QSC or used Samson, plus cheaper paint/finishing materials.

I wasn't as concerned with budget as I was building something that was fun to make and will look/sound AWESOME!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Dual Shiva's will require the same size of enclosure as a single tempest and will cost more. They will only have a 1/2L displacement advantage and won't be able to play quite as low.

Jedd

Second Unit
I didnt start to build my sub yet (still trying to understand what I'm doing :D ), but so far I spent $200 for both Dayton DVC 15" and PE 250W + $20 for shipment. You probably can pick up sonotube on a local lumbermill for couple bucks, as well you will need some MDF (~$20), a lot of glue and paint. If you borrow some instruments you can keep all costs under $300.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend a 15inch Dayton DVC or an Adire Tempst (practically the same driver, I used a 15inch Dayton DVC myself), in a 4cf sealed box. That will give you very detailed, quick and deep bass. I think you will be surprised. Definetely use the 250watt plate amp.

My other recommendation would be the 12inch Dayton Titanic MK2. It has almost 38mm of linear excursion, and would work very well in a 2-3cf sealed box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks