What's new

Klipsch Home Theater Speaker Choices (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
How about using either the RB-3 or RB-5 for the sides? They would be cheaper and would still match the rest of the system very nicely.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you want to wait, in a couple months Klipsch is releasing a bumch of new Reference speakers which include a bookshelf version of the RF-7. You can read info. on all the new releases at Klipsch's Newscenter, you can also see pictures in the photo gallery.
BTW, I don't think using RF-7's all around is overkill, it's the ideal way to do it. On the forums at www.klipsch.com a guy there uses converted a KLF-30 into a center, he uses 7 KLF-30's, KLF-C7 front effects, and dual Ultras. Man that must be sooooo sweet.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Just came back from demoing the RF7 system again. I love this system. I brought tons on my own material with me and put this system to a serious test. I vry happy with the results. Yet, onething i didnt like was that the store I demoed them at was using the RXZ1 for amplification, therefore I think it made the speakers sound harsher than they really are.

I was thinking of using an AVR4802 with this system. WHat do you guys think about this? Should I possuibly go seperates with a parasound setup or maybe the Avr5803? I know the parasound halo preamps are already very close to shippimg. Or I could use a avr3803 for processing and use some parasound amps for power. Please post any of your thoughts.

Jaime

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Do you already own the 4802. If not the 5803 would be the way to go if you want one unit. If not then seperates is the way to go. Get something around 150WPC. I know someone will jump on board and say it's not about the watts, but, it is when discussing volume and distortion.

While I can appreciate the RC-7 suggestion, be careful with that as one of the woofers is passive and one active. If you will be enjoying music as well then get the RF-7's.

As far as harshness goes with the yammie. How long had the 7's been set-up where you auditioned them. When I first got mine they sounded harsh. However they broke in over time and mellowed out quite a bit.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I temporarily used my RX-V800 to power my RF-3II's while I packed up my Parasound to move. I also found it to be a harsh combination. I find Parsound and Klipsch to make an excellent match.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dam, I'm so happy Klipsch is coming out with some new Reference speakers! I was just looking at getting the RF-3's, now I have a few more choices, woohoo!

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
If you go to the klipsch website, goto products, then photo gallery and search for reference series you can see the new line. Be aware, the large picture for the RF-35 series is nearly 7 megabytes.
I am still deciding if I like 'em or not. =) If the picture shown above is the RF-3 series in a wood grain thats sweet.
But, I like the old RF drivers better.
I like the new magnet grill design seeing as how cheap the grill posts on the RF line are. (not like I use the grills)
I've owned my pair of RF-3ii now for a couple weeks and I can say I made a good choice. I've had my heart set on them for a long while & finally found 'em at a great price (thanks Jordan_S)
Powered soley by a entry-level Denon 1602 I can say it will provide more power than I will put into the speakers. They are truly as loud as everyone says, but even at low volumes they truly do impress. I've read hundreds of threads that call them "bright" but I just don't hear it. Its accurate from high to mid to low. They could exist without a sub. I turn off the sub for music, on for movies.
I have found the spikes are NEEDED for carpets. Also, klipsch suggests placement 2 feet from a backwall. Mine are about 8 inches away & sound fine.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Brian, I really like the new look of the speakers, as it gives them a little more sex appeal almost, well to me any ways. I wanted the RF-5's for the Cherry veneer, but I couldn't see the point of paying more for the same drivers as are in the RF-3. It looks like the new RF-35 has veneer options, which is wonderful news! I'm going to see if I can trade in my RC-3 as well for a new version in cherry :) oh I'm excited!

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
The new speaker do look nice. Best thing ever is the magnetic grills! I hate it when my demo speakers have broken grills. Thank you Energy for starting the trend. Wish the RF7s I'm getting had these.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Cam,

Did you have the chance to give the RF-5's an audition and compare them side by side to the RF-3's? On paper they both may look very similar and your correct that they both use the same woofers, but the tweeters, enclosures and I believe the crossovers are different. I have both sets in my system and can say that when I compared them side by side on my gear that there was a very audible difference between the two.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Kevin,

Thats interesting. Have you auditioned the RF-5's to the RF-7's? I have KLF-20's at my surround positions and have considered replacing them with RF-7's. However I would rather use the RF-5's. I do like the RF-3 sound as I think they are extremely detailed.

Timmy K

Auditioning
For those of you that have or heard both KLF-20s and RF-7s, is there a big difference in sound clarity or quality between the two? I currently have KLF-20s for my fronts and have been thinking about upgrading to RF-7s. I have already upgraded my center and surrounds to RC-7 and RS-7s and have been very impressed with their performance. My lastest edition was an SVS 20-39PC+ which was a huge improvement over my older KSW200. Thanks

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

I only listened to the RF-7's at the dealer and they were not in the same room as the RF-5's and RF-3's, so I couldn't do a direct comparison.

I went there with the intention of auditioning and possibly upgrading to the RF-7's, but when I saw how big they were. I felt they would be too big for my room. That's when my dealer suggested I look at the RF-5's. I did and was able to quickly switch back and forth at a touch of a button between the RF-5's and the RF-3's in that room and the difference was pretty obvious. When I got home I tried it again and the results were the same.

If I had to describe the difference I would say the RF-5's were as detailed as the RF-3's but without the edge and more musical.

I had a friend come over who was familiar with my system before I upgraded to the RF-5's and during this demo he said he couldn't believe he was listening to Klipsch. He likes the volume pretty loud and before with the RF-3's he didn't want to go past about -17 now he was at -10 with my system and said he just wanted to keep turning it up. To me that said a lot.

With that said I must say that the RF-3's have been doing a great job in the rear surround positions. I kept my RS-3's on the sides and moved the RF-3's to the rears. If your buying them for surround use I think the RF-3's would work great.

Does your dealer allow you to return them or offer an upgrade policy? That way you could try one or the other to see which works out better for you.

Don't take this as a knock on the RF-3's. At their price range I still think it's a great speaker for the money, but if your looking to upgrade don't rule out the RF-5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks