What's new

Klipsch Home Theater Speaker Choices (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Hello everyone,

I read this forum every so often, and now I'm getting very close to purchasing my speakers. I pretty much know everything I want to get, yet, I need some advice on the subwoofer. My room is approx. 25x50 ft. For my speakers I'm going with Klipsch RF-7 for the fronts , RC7 for the center, RS7 for the surrounds , and RB5 for my rear centers. I might also do a second set of RS7 for the side walls since the Denon receiver I will be getting can do 9 channels. I'm going to be using either a Denon AVR4802, 5803(probably not this since its too darn expensive and I don't think the Klipsch speakers need this much power,but maybe I'm wrong you let me know, hehe), or possibly an AVR4803 (if denon decides to come out with is soon). I would think they would be since everything in their line up is already an **03 except for the 4802. Now onto the subwoofer question. Price is not really a problem for me in terms of the speakers because I'm getting an unbelievable deal. I can get up to 2 subwoofers. So my question is should I get just 1 RSW15 or should I get 2 of possibly the RSW 10, 12, or maybe even the 15.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help you can provide.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Klipsch setup based around the RF3 II mains ...

Nice speakers, but for "subwoofage" go with the SVS they go great with the Klipsch.

For your setup I'd go with either dual Ultras or the new mega sub from SVS.

Cam S

Screenwriter
If you are in Canada, SVS might not be much of a better deal compared to the RSW series. They are wonderful subs, no doubt, but there ARE better subs for less. I have Klipsch Reference all around, and if I had the extra cash I'd go for the RSW-15. I get cost +5% on all the Klipsch stuff, so it would be dirt cheap for me :)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm using a full reference series 3 mk II speaker setup and the horn tweeters on the speakers are hard for subs to keep up with and the dual SVS ultras does a great job of it. on top of that you might think around getting a second set of rs7's for surround back instead of the rb5's, the speaker matching will be a lot better.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
I was originally going to get a set of RS7s for the surround back, but i heard that you are supposed to use a set of monopole not dipole speakers for rear centers. Supposidly that is what the specifications for rear centers ask for. So i figured that the RB5 would be that best match since they use the same size woofer. If anybody could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm trying to use only Klipsch stuff because I'm getting a deal and I want to match it all up. Well, I could also use anything from Boston Acoustics or Energy. Those are the brands of speakers I could choose from. But, if this SVS brand is better than any of the Klipsch reference series subwoofers then maybe I will reconsider. Yet I will have to pay full pop for them, whereas the Klipsch I can get for a considerable discount.
Thanks again.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
the klipsch surrounds have a directional speaker with a dipole set of horns on either side, in my setup I haven't had a problem with klipsch's being used as surround backs as there is still some directionality to them. try finding a local place to audition the surround speakers and stand with your back to them to see if you think they will work well enough for you.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I have the RF-7 set-up and love it. This is what I do.

2 RF-7's
1 RC-7
2 Ledgends - (20's), soon to be RF-7's as well
2 RF-3's
1 KSW-15 (soon to be 2 RSW-10's

If you like the Klipsch sound for Subs (I do & more than I need) then I would get 2 RSW-12's over one RSW-15. You may also want to place in 2 RF-3's, or the new version, in place of the RB-5's. They are cheaper with better responce.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I'm using a full reference series 3 mk II speaker setup and the horn tweeters on the speakers are hard for subs to keep up with and the dual SVS ultras does a great job of it.
How can a sub keep up with ANY tweeter when the sub is only reproducing sounds lower than maybe 100hz?? That doesn't make any sense what you said.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
lol, by keeping up I mean that there is minimal lag between the tweeter and the sub in producing notes. uhm, basically the sub and the tweeter play the same note at the same time.

once you get a good set of subs that can play notes fast you'll start picking up on slower subs. you'll find songs where the slow sub just plays a continuous note while the fast one plays a beutiful series of notes. my examples are of the extremes but I think it's enough to help you understand what I was talking about.

Dan_Morez

Agent
I also own a denon (3802) with the klipsch r-7 series speakers. I have the rf-7s in front, rc-7 and 2 pair of the rs-7's, a pair for the side surrounds and a pair for the back center channel. They sound awesome and match perfectly. Like Rob M.G. said, they have dipole horns on the sides with a directional woofer which make for some really good sound. I would definitely reconsider buying the rb-5s or at the least, go to a klipsch dealer and hear them for yourself.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Phil made me think about a possible configuration. What if I would do all towers? Would RF7s all the way around be too much, or how about RF7 in the front and RF5s for the rest, or possibly RF3s for the rest? Or any other combination of klipsch reference speakers. Now, if I did go with towers all the way, would it be ok to face the towers inward towards the middle of the room , for the surrounds? Thanks guys, Im trying to boil this all down and just get the best setup. I have to make a decision within the next two weeks.

Thanks!

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
OK with the responses I have gotten I think I'm gonna get the 2 RSW 12's. Now basically I guess the last thing I need to figure out would be would it be worth it to go RF7s for all the rest of the speakers(fronts, surrounds, and rear centers[6 in total]) and then the RC7 for the center? Is this over kill? A major plus would be that all the speakers are matched. If you guys could get any of the Klipsch reference stuff, price not being an issue, would you go this route? Please post your thoughts, and any Klipsch reference configurations you think would work well.

Thanks again.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
dear lord send me some money. . .
I do think that rf7 all the way around is overkill I would stick with the rs7s for the surround and rear surround.
instead of two rsw-12s I would get a pair of svs-ultras. . . wait, I do own a pair of svs-ultras and they are awesome. enough said.
p.s. I've been wanting a projector, wanna send me one? I'll take anything for free! :D

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
personally i think rf7's all around is overkill...i have klf-30's as my mains and i am using rs-3's for my surrounds and they can keep up fine with the klf-30's for all the movies that i've thrown at them...

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy_zdc,

In your initial post you mentioned your room was 25'X 50' will you be using all of it for your home theater?

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Yes, this room will be strictly a home theater room.
Here is a mock up of what the room will somewhat look like to give you guys an idea of speaker placement and seating. Also the couches might not be this wide , so there might be more room for the speakers. Also, the speakers will be placed in columns that are wraped with grill cloth. Therefore the speakers will sit up and additional 2-3 feet.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ad0d5...KakI.Ag_BSm6eu
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ad0d5...KakI.ARoFESrlU

This is a great illustration of what I want to do. I will be building columns like these, and have the towers behind the black grill cloth. With this additional information, would towers all RF7 be to much?, should I just do RF7 in the front and maybe RF3s for the rest?
Jaime

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Jimmy,

I think RF-7's would be overkill all the way around for theater only. If this was a setup that you like all channel stereo then perhaps you should consider.

What type of amp setup will be driving these? I have found it takes a little more juice to drive the 7's than the 3's.
In other words if power (lack off) is an object I think the 3's are better suited (more detailed) at lower volumes than the 7's. If not (like in mine) then by all means get the 7's.

Jimmy_zdc

Agent
Phil,

I will be playig DVD-Audio and SACD on this setup as well. I'm pretty sure I would possibly like to listen to some CDs in 5/7 channel stereo at times. This is one of the main driving factors for going with this setup. I heard some demos of DVD-Audio and SACD where it seems as though most of the time rear satellites couldnt keep up with the mains. ALthough I havent heard the RS7s yet. Actually I'm going to go demo it tonight. Hope this will help in my decision. ALso what amp do you reccomend if I were going to go with all RF7s? I was thinking the AVR4802.

Jaime

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Klipsch suggests placing the RF series tower speakers 2 feet from any wall. I'm not sure how the speakers would sound once they were placed inside the columns? If you had them tight against the wall that would block the rear ports and may change the bass response.

In my setup I noticed a very audible difference in where I placed my Klipsch speakers (RF5's and RF3's) in relation to the walls.

I think the RS7's would work just fine for the sides. If you don't like the RS7's for some reason have you considered using RC-7's placed vertically on shelfs or stands for the sides? Another HTF member tried them as front speakers and reported that they were very happy with the results. They would provide a good match with the RF7's. It does require that you reposition the tweeter. I've also seen a few posts over on the Klipsch forum about this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks