What's new

Klipsch Heresy vs RF5 (1 Viewer)

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently the prowd owner of Klipsch rf-3 towers, I recently won a pair of Heresy's in a contest, and have the option to upgrade to rf-5s, I emailed an engineer at klipsch about his opinion, He was leaning towards the rf-5s
because it has a broader sound stage due to its tratix horn, and more pronounced low bass (possibly because it has a ported cabinet),he also stated the heresy will have noticably more midrange and mid bass, due to its exponential midrange horn and 12 inch woofer, Has anyone had the oportunity to a/b the referance vs heresy and what were your findings...

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hmmm, those Heresy's are classics. I would probably go with the Heresy's, as they are a lot more sought after than the RF-5's. Not to mention the difference between the RF-3's and the RF-5's is minimal, and too me the only difference is the veneer. The new Reference speakers coming out look alot better though, and the RF-35 has Cherry veneer as an option.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer the heresy. For my ears - the reference series do have a more robust sound in bass (beginning around 120hz as a guestimate) and lower mids. However, I just built a new center with the Heresy tweeter and mid horn and A/Bed to an RF 5 and I can tell the sweet difference in upper mids and HF (rather dramatic if you like the sound in this range). Since that better matches my taste I prefer the Heresy.

As an aside - to get full richness from the Heresy a good sub is invaluable. You could find the RF speaker more livable without the sub (although I would still recommend using one).

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I have rethought my reply - what I meant to say is the Heresy suck.....

I will take them off your hands and pay for shipping and handling, that way nothing will be out of pocket for you. I think it is a fair deal;)

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
lots to consider I do believe the heresy is a wider more boxy type speaker that is a CLASSIC while the new ref series are geared more toward home theater type applications what is your preference

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I have owned Klipsch Heresey's for over 20 years. It took me a long time to discover a sound that I liked, and keep in mind this was 20 years ago. Since that time, as a passing hobby, I have listened and listened to many speakers, old and new. New technology, thin, flat, big, small, sub/sat's - I think I've heard about everything - except Rockets (what an ugly design anyway). Regardless, I still love the classic sound of an acouistic suspension speaker. I listen to a lot of jazz, and what not a better reproduction of horns than through a horn. If it were me, I would look at a possible trade in or trade up to Bells or the ultimate, the cornerhorns. All of these ported speakers are OK, but really create a lot of "mud" in the lower mid ocataves when you put the power to them. The classic Kilpsch's have such a smooth, blending mix that carries consistent to any loudness. The beautiful thing is that they are so efficient, that you can run them with a trighter amp, like an HK, that focus's detail in the "sound quality" instead of 20,000 buttons and 40,000 DPS modes.

This is just my opinion, and many may disagree or agree. I would suggest you locate a dealer and A:B for yourself. Often you get a shop to let you borrow the floor models and take them home over the weekend to actually hear in your environment. That would be beneficial to you - just ask.

Let me know if you want to sell the Heresey's. I'd love another pair for the bedroom!

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I have owned Klipsch Heresey's for over 20 years. It took me a long time to discover a sound that I liked, and keep in mind this was 20 years ago. Since that time, as a passing hobby, I have listened and listened to many speakers, old and new. New technology, thin, flat, big, small, sub/sat's - I think I've heard about everything - except Rockets (what an ugly design anyway). Regardless, I still love the classic sound of an acoustic suspension speaker. I listen to a lot of jazz, and what not a better reproduction of horns than through a horn. If it were me, I would look at a possible trade in or trade up to Bells or the ultimate, the cornerhorns. All of these ported speakers are OK, but really create a lot of "mud" in the lower mid octaves when you put the power to them. The classic Kilpsch's have such a smooth, blending mix that carries consistent to any loudness. The beautiful thing is that they are so efficient, that you can run them with a tighter amp, like an HK, that focus's detail in the "sound quality" instead of 20,000 buttons and 40,000 DPS modes.

This is just my opinion, and many may disagree or agree. I would suggest you locate a dealer and A:B for yourself. Often you get a shop to let you borrow the floor models and take them home over the weekend to actually hear in your environment. That would be beneficial to you - just ask.

Let me know if you want to sell the Heresey's. I'd love another pair for the bedroom!

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Frank:I did win the heresy's in the storyteller contest,

Cam: I would rethink the the rf35's, I road tested the them at ces las vegas, thats vinyl coating not veneer, sure it is cherry,but it is plastic cherry, (bummer huh)
The good thing about the 35 is they still sound good, they are approx $200 cheaper than the rf3 II and the grill uses magnetic retiners instead of the flimsy push pins. I grilled the klipsch rep while i was there about any additional change, he was adamant that the internals are the same, the woofer material looks different, but i was informed that an additional coating was added for a more rigid cone and a more dent resistant finish...

The rf5 and rf7 are the only referance speakers left with veneer finish...

Cam S

Screenwriter
David, that sucks about the vinyl, but atleast I have my Cherry look. I really didn't like the plain black look of the RF-3's. I asked a guy at London Drugs how much they would be and he said $1700 (canadian) for the RF-35's, which is more expensive than the RF-3's. I wouldn't doubt that he was wrong though. Hopefully they WILL be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks