Klipsch good?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisLazarko, Aug 13, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I have been looking around lately at alot of speakers from places such as 6th Ave, Tweeter, and Bestbuy. I have to say I am very impressed with Klipsch especially. All I own from them right now are there Quintet speakers but I have to say I am in love with them.

I know Bose is basically a marketing gimmick and I am somewhat curious is Klipsch is the same way? I hear good things and bad things about their speakers and I am wondering if for the same price other speakers are better then them?

I know everyone has their own opinion but I mean from a good sound standpoint, quality standpoint, and a pricing standpoint. I can't argue that the Quintets were an awesome deal and sound incredible and the larger speakers I have heard can just belt tunes out like nothing I have heard before...

Any suggestions, I am looking to possibly upgrade in the future. Thank you.

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

Klipsch is a love or hate sound! If you enjoy the quintets, more than likely you'll love the sound of the reference Klipsch. I too started with a set of quintets (now hooked up to my computer), then bought the SP1 (I think this is the model) for my living room. Liked the sound of these, so when I completed my dedicated HT, I moved up to the reference series and absoutely love em. I got a 7.2 RF3/SVS set up in the HT and couldnt be more happier. There are alot of good speakers out there, but if you like the in your face realism of Klipsch, they only get better as you move up the reference series.

3. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

All mini-satellite/sub systems run very close to being a gimmick, because the satellites have difficulty getting down to the freqs where the sub works. When talking Quintets, Bose, or any other sub/sat system, there are really two things to consider.

1. The overall sound of the product. That's something you need to decide for yourself - Quintets or other products. If you like the sound, go for it. The Bose have pronounced freq humps to make them sound like they have good highs and lows. In doing so, they obscure some of the mid-freqs.

2. The crossover between the satellite and the sub. This is a product of the available frequency range of the satellites and sub (usually should be spec'ed as the -3dB range - make sure they overlap) AND the crossover you are going to use.

Usually the best way is to have an internal crossover in your receiver, but you want to be sure that the crossover freq is covered by both the satellites and receiver. If that won't happen, then you have to look at the capabilities of the sub in the setup - does it have speaker-level inputs and a crossover. In that case, run everything small except the front two "mains," and then route the signal for those through the sub and split out the bass at the sub crossover. You'll also want to sort of lie to the receiver and tell it you do not have a sub to get it to send all the bass to the L&R speakers.

This is another shortcoming of the Bose system. There is a freq gap between the low end of the satellites and the high end of the bass module. THERE ARE OTHER SUB/SAT SYSTEMS WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS - it's not just the Bose. I saw one system at HE2003 in SF that had a much worse freq gap than the Bose, a notch between 120 hz and 300 hz. Caveat emptor on purchasing this kind of system

In conclusion, shop a little carefully. Find the sound you like. Be aware of the specs on the sub and sat, and get a receiver that complements those specs.

But if you do get it right, you're going to be really impressed.

Hoope that helps. Have fun,

Eric

4. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Yes! Klipsch is good. I fell in love with their RF-7 series.

I ended up with Rockets for form/fit reasons and am very happy with them, but that's another story. If you like Klipsch, don't hesitate. Many very happy Klipsch'ers. You can meet them at the Klipsch Forum .

Gordon

5. ChrisLazarko

Well right now I love Klipsch and they seem very good. Most people say that all satellites basically sound the same no matter what system you get. Such as a Polk Audio satellite system, JBL or another good brand will sound almost no different than Klipsch?

Some of the places I have read reviews on say that this satellite system is one of the best out there and that it offers "big" speaker sound which I think is true. Does this mean most other satellites around this price range and a little higher still sound somewhat small and crummey?

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

"Such as a Polk Audio satellite system, JBL or another good brand will sound almost no different than Klipsch?...Some of the places I have read reviews on say that this satellite system is one of the best out there and that it offers "big" speaker sound which I think is true."

1) BS [​IMG]
    2) Debatable. I would bet that other similarly priced systems in the same price range are in a similar quality class and some people prefer them, their tone is different but not necessarily worse.

7. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

I used to own Klipsch Ref3 speakers - I moved onto something else, not because of any problem, but because I wanted to do a little audio exploring.

IMHO, you'll get good value from Klipsch, including the Quintets. Some will argue about the horn sound, but I think by comparison the effect is less when comparing satellites than it is between larger horn vs. non-horn speakers. If you like how they sound, be assured there isn't some scam going on to get you to buy them - you'll be happy with them. The specs are there to use a receiver with either a 100 or 120 Hz crossover, and the features are in the sub to use it's crossover for bass management if desired.

You will really be impressed with it as a home theater.

enjoy!

Eric

8. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Chris, the Quintets are terrific, and if you haven't heard the Promedia line, you must. I bought the promedia 2.1's and NEVER have I been so shocked at how crisp and detailed computer speakers were.

It wasn't long after that I decided to upgrade all my HT speakers to Klipsch Reference. I have 4 RF-7's, RF-35's in the middle, and the RC-7 as my center. As everyone is stating, Klipsch does have a sonic in-your-face signature, but to me that is the beauty of it. It places the singer/s directly in the room with you, bringing you that much closer to your music. I've auditioned many a speaker, including but not limited to polk, energy, mission, monitor audio, b&w, sony, boston acoustics, yamama, jbl, axiom, kef, martin logan etc. I chose klipsch, personally. They are both extremely musical and suited for movies.

9. ChrisLazarko

Thank you everyone, I really like the Klipsch and yes I currently own there ProMedia 4.1 speakers as this is what started me on them. I used to be a Bose finatic with my fathers system which sounded pretty good for music but never caught my eye for music. After Klipsch everything changed, I gave all speakers a change and just fell in love with the Klipsch although I hadn't heard many when I first heard these...

I have to say they have a very nice style and are just wonderful pieces from what I have seen and done.

Also, aren't the Quintets pretty much the same as the ProMedia's?

10. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I bought Klipsch ref. primarily because I both liked the way they sounded AND because you can get substantial discounts (or at least you could when I bought mine) by purchasing online.
    If you go with Klipsch I highly recommend you buy online instead of from a MSRP dealer.

11. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Don't discount the possibility of used Klipsch. There are a lot of well-made beautiful Klipsch Heritage and Legend-series speakers available for roughly half of their original price.

You can obtain a pair of (used) Heresy's or Fortes for between $500 and $750pr... nothing new you buy can come close to the quality of either of these gems...

The only drawback is in finding matching center channels. Not until you get to the Legend series will you (easily) find a matching center (the KLF-C7 is frequently available on ebay, or one of the audio classified sites, sometimes even NIB).

As far as that goes, you won't go wrong with the current Reference series; there's just something about those big wooden boxes from the pre-1990's series...

12. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

KLIPSCH GOOD, FIRE BAD!

13. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Klipsch are good quality speakers. I just picked up some KLF20's and a KLF-C7 yesterday.

If you like the Klipsch sound(which you obviously do) and you want to keep small speakers, Klipsch is introducing some Reference series satellite speakers, you might want to check them out:

http://www.klipsch.com/newscenter/newsdetail.asp?id=761