What's new

Klipsch + Fathom for First Theater (1 Viewer)

Dirk Dinsmore

Auditioning
Real Name
Dirk
Hello all. I have spent some time reading over posts on the forum and have decided to just go ahead and ask. I am currently in the process of building my house, and I have the opportunity to wire the house now, before I put up the dry wall. Therefore I have decided to purchase my home theater equipment now so that I can install it as I go. I was thinking about going with a 5.1 setup in my family room, and would like to know if I am headed in the right direction with the equipment that I have selected thus far.

52in Samsung 1080p LCD
Denon AVR 3808ci
JL Audio Fathom 13
The Klipsch RF-63 package, but without the Klipsch sub

Eventually I would like to upgrade to a projector and have the LCD in my master bedroom. Also, should I consider an amp now? What else should I consider? My current budget is about 8000, not including the TV. Thanks for any advice.

Dirk

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene

If I had $8,000 to spend, I would get the 65 inch Panasonic plasma for $4,600 delivered and mount it on the wall. Go with the Denon 3808CI, do not get an amplifier. Get the Klipsch RF-63 package without the Klipsch subwoofer.

Definitely skip the JL Audio Fathom F113, and get the SVS PB-13 Ultra. Putting the extra money into the 65 inch Panasonic plasma will make a huge difference. The SVS PB-13 Ultra is top notch. You will not miss the F113.

The biggest regret people have is not getting the biggest display they can fit in their room and can afford. I would snap up the current 65 inch Panasonic plasma for $4,600 delivered.

Think Cleveland for the Panny plasma.

Chris VW

Stunt Coordinator
All of your equipment sounds great. The only thing I would suggest is to go with the projector right away. You will never regret it and the impact it will have over the Samsung is enormous. You can get a great 720P projector for less than $1300. You could do 1080P for $2700 or less. Doing it now will be so much easier while you are building instead of waiting a year or two.

Chris VW

Stunt Coordinator
I would tend to agree with Brian about the SVS PB-13 Ultra. If you need the smaller footprint or the WAF is huge go with the Fathom. The Fathom is sweet to look at.

But......

For a little more money you could get two of the SVS PB-13 Ultras and that would really be the way to go. It would give you more headroom and even out the response in your room.

Dirk Dinsmore

Auditioning
Real Name
Dirk
Thank you for the information. The reason I am going with the 52in LCD is because I allready own it, however I have no audio equipment at all. I figure that I will get by with this TV for now, and focus on the audio equipment because I have the opportunity to wire the room real nice now. Which leads to my next question. What type of connectors / wires are optimal for connecting the Klipsch speakers to the AVR? Heavy guage wire? I have read that some of the powered subs do not use "standard wire" for connections, and I was wondering if it is the same for the Klipsch. Down the road, if I decide to change speakers I do not want to have to rip into the walls to run all the wires again.

Thank you for the advice on the sub. I will have to look into the SVS more closely, however I have had tremendous success using JL products in my cars over the years. I also had the opportunity to listen to the JL subs at my local dealer. I am not sure of anybody in Pittsburgh PA who has the SVS to demo.

Any suggestions about the Klipsch? I have no experience with this brand, other than listening to them once at custom home builders demo house.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Klipsch is great, but they aren't for everyone. Go and listen to a few other good brands like B&W, Paradigm, DefTech, etc.

For speaker wire, just find some good 12awg wire. Don't waste your money on something like Monster. Many people add banana plugs or spades onto the wire for a cleaner look and easier connecting.

Definitely look into the SVS subs. That PB13 will get you performance on par (or above) the JL for a significantly lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks