Klipsch computer speakers or HT??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by macMing, Feb 5, 2005.

1. macMing

macMing Auditioning

I'm looking to build a sound system around my computer. As of now, the majority of my music is in mp3 format (192K) and I primarily watch movies off my computer as well.

I've been happy with the Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 so far, but the amplifer on the speakers are slowlying going. Last night, these speakers were fluctuating its voloume by themselves. Must be a loose connection somewhere.

So, I'm thinking about buliding up a bigger, and better sound system for my computer. I have a few questions.

1) First, Im thinking of upgrading my sound card from a SB Live 5.1 to a SB Audigy Z2 or Z4 platnium.

2) Speakers:

-Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 are what I'm looking at.

or, I can go all out and buy a nice home theatre system slowly.
    Yamaha 2500 receiver with
    PSB speakers and sub.

My question is now, will the home theatre sound much better than the Klipsch in my case? The quality of my media is already jerpodized because of the mp3 format. Also, will I really notice a difference if I upgrade my sound card?

Thanks

Ming

2. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Unless you're extremely picky (but then why would you listen to MP3 in the first place if you were?) or play your music extremely loud, one of the higher end Logitech setups ($100-200) should more than suffice, especially if you're going to upgrade the sound card.

Either that, or spend a whole lot more on the Yamaha and PSB setup.

3. Harris_C

Harris_C Stunt Coordinator

Ming,

Although,I do not own the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 I have heard nothing but good things about these speakers.
    To bad they are $400.00 or I would have bought them already.
    In any case, upgrading the sound card to the SB Audigy is a good idea as well, and I believe you will notice a difference in sound quality with the Klipsch and the new sound card. Looks like you have a good handle on what you need.

Also, before, you go and put together a Home Theater system maybe you may want to research a HTPC instead since it seems you enjoy PC's more. Right now, I am putting together an AMD64 HTPC for around $1350.00. Now I can look at TV, watch movies, play games, store photos and surf the web off of one machine. Centralized laziness at its best.

[​IMG]

4. macMing

macMing Auditioning

I actually have a laptop that I use to watch movies in my home theatre, and I really dont watch TV that much, so I dont really need a dedicated HTPC. I already have 4 computers in the house, and I really only use 1 hahaha [​IMG]

I went down to a hi-fi store today and listend to a few systems. While most of the mid-fi equipment sound very average to me (NAD, Marantz), at least comparing them to my computer speakers, car system ($3000), but this little Primare amp ($1999 CAD) really stood out when paired with a set of Paradigm Reference Signature series speakers ($2499).

However, this setup is EXPENSIVE!!! I'll have to see what sort of money I make during my internship to decide if I should go with this setup. [​IMG] This setup may also be overkill because of my music collection as well as I will be running it off my computer.