Klipsch compared to *blush* Bose

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Pat_C, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I've read every thread in this forum regarding Bose. It's an understatement to say that aren't very well regarded here, and I think I have a pretty good feel for why that this.

Right now, I have a 53inch Hitachi HDTV Ultravision, and until I came to this forum, I was pretty dead-set on buying the Bose Acoustimass 16 for my HT system. I was going to get either the Kenwood VR-7070A or Onkyo TX-SR501, and the Sony DVP-NS755V to accompany it. After reading the Bose threads, I am extremely wary of dropping the $1300 for the AMS16. I have heard that Klipsch is comparable in size to Bose and a much better speaker.

My question is this: would the Klipsch Quintent with a Klipsch Sub seriously -- seriously -- have better sound than the Bose AMS16? I confess that I am a rookie and the Bose marketing machine has brainwashed me. I always thought Bose was a good speaker. I haven't had a chance to audition the Klipsch Quintet series, but I expect to within the next week. I guess then I'll be able to hear for myself.

In addition, regardless of which way I go, If I go the Onkyo route, is that enough power to the speakers (whether they are Bose or Klipsch?). I have a pretty small living room, and I'll never be able to jack the volume up. I just plan on using it for DVDs.

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

In one word: YES.

It would be like comparing a Christmas 'popper' (the thing you pull apart and stuff comes out) to a large stick of dynamite. They are both the same size, but tell me which one has more 'power' [​IMG]

No one here will argue the Klipsch (or Polk or anything else) will NOT sound a LOT better than the Bose system.

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Bose speakers are only for stupid consumers looking for a status symbol. Take the money you'd spend on the AM16 and get as much Klipsch as that money will buy. The Klipsch will make you a lot happier.

4. ChrisArmour

ChrisArmour Stunt Coordinator

I was nearly on the same path as you, on my way to my 3rd Bose HT set-up(I was dead set on the AM10), until I found the truth about BOSE. I now own a Klipsch Synergy HT set-up, I never realized how much sound I was missing with BOSE. Thank god for forums like this one. The Klipsch speakers will destroy Bose in every facet of performance(to my ears anyway), with one exception, resale value. IMO thats the only thing BOSE has going for themselves because of the brainwashed masses. Now, if you audition a bunch of speakers and the BOSE still sound best to you, then by all means get them, sound quality is highly subjective, at least you are going to be making an informed decision instead of going blindly into your purchase. But be warned, even if the BOSE do sound best to your ears, there are many sub/sats out there that offer greater value, no matter how great a speaker some people feel BOSE is.

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Ditto for me [​IMG] I feel your enthusiasm, Rory. However, let's remain calm and not call anyone names. We're not going to get our point across that way. Most Bose owners are simply uninformed because of Blose's marketing machine.

Pat, if you're not dead set of getting the Klipsch Quintets, you might want to audition the Hsu Ventriloquist or the Onix Tykes (AV123.com).

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

GUYS! Goodness. Enough with the Bose police. I think he's had this covered already.

Pat:

The only way to buy speaker is to go listen to them and pick what sounds best. YOU will likely very quickly find bose outperformed. But by what, and by how much only YOU can say. There are many brands out there. Klipsch has a "unique" sound, that you either really like, or really don't (usually). This perhaps is an overgeneralization, but what klipsh ARE, is very efficient(too little power won't be a problem), and IMO very good with rock. I am in the "don't like" group, but I would FAR prefer them over bose regardless. I suggest you listen to them, along with everything else you possibly can. I myself always like to recommend paradigm too for entry-level. They are a great value, and have good dealers. Much different sound than klipsch, just go listen critically for a good long time with a variety of music, to as MANY brands as you can.

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. John S

John S Producer

To address his other question....

If you want true sustained theater / reference volumes, you should really try to get more power than either of those recivers will give you.

If not, I just ordered the Onkyo 501 myself for somebody for xmas, as I think the component video switching and extra 6.1 amp / processor modes make it a winner for most for a great HT platform. I would venture to guess as I have found out, that theater / reference levels are so loud that I rarely use them, I won't say never though as I have and do use those sorts of volumes.

8. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

Thanks all. Today I listened to the Klipsch Quintet system at Bestbuy. They didn't have it set up in a way that would allow me to truly enjoy/critique them. But I did have some personal observations. (The Klipsch system was set-up right next to a Bose display.)

The Quintet system, even though it was hooked up to a non-powered Klipsch sub, seemed to have deeper base than a Bose Lifestyle system. Movie dialogue also seemed clearer and louder.

The Bose Lifestyle system, however, seemed to put forth a "fuller sound." I know that may seem odd after my comments about the base and the dialogue, but that's the impression I got.

Bestbuy wanted something like $400 for the Quintet System plus an extra $400-$500 for the Klipsch powered subs (220 watts vs. 440 watts), bringing in the price of the speaker system at $800-$900.

I think the Lifestyle system basically uses the same speakers the Acoustimass systems do, so I feel comfortable comparing it to the going rate for the Bose AMS15II, which is approximately $1100-$1200 dollars.

To my rookie ears, the Klipsch sounded pretty darn good. I think I could buy this system and be very happy with it. I think I like them better than the Polk and Infinity speakers. As compared to the Bose, it seems like I would get a sound that is at least as good as the Bose for $200-$300 less.

9. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

10. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well Pat I own the Quintets myself, and I have also owned a Bose Acoustimass 5 system (2 double cubes with a bass module) and let me say that these things blast the hell away from the bose.

First of all, with the quintets you are getting a pretty much full frequency responce from 120Hz-20KHz which is really good for a satellite sized speaker.

I would probably avoid the Klipsch Synergy subwoofers though, they aren't the best, but they are little beasts... just they aren't as defined... they are a little boomy at high volumes.

If you have around $550 to spend take a look at an SVS subwoofer, they are very nice pieces. If you don't have alot of money to spend some good subwoofers to look at would be some of the lower-end Inifity, Polk, Athena, and several others. For a budget sub the best thing to do is just find something that is on sale.

Almost any system can offer better performance than a Bose system. I opened up my Bose acoustimass module the other day and noticed that it was just a cheap cardboard 5 1/2" woofer inside... 5 1/2" isn't even anything to get good bass!!!! I ended up throwing it off my 2nd story window for some laughs because I don't use it anymore.

Also, a good budget reciever to look at is the Harman/Kardon AVR-125. It offers great performance and is only about $200 refurbished. Anyone here who has purchased a refurbished product from Harman/Kardon will tell you that they are really great pieces.

Good luck on your search.

In responce to the post above from Mike, I have noticed from everywhere I have read about Bose that thre frequency of the cubes is from about 200Hz-13.3KHz missing the whole upper range and the whole lower-end mid-range.

The bass module also doesn't get below about 50Hz very realiably.

11. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I think you'd be better off with the JBL NSP-1 series plus a good sub such as an Adire Rava for $700-800 depending on what you'd pay for shipping and tax (if any).

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Extra

Anything can sound better than Bose imho. My Promedia 5.1's for my pc from Klipsch will blow away a Bose "Home Theater" speaker system, and they are only meant for the pc! Not sure about Klipsch's Home Theater speakers but there computer ones are dam fine.

13. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Do yourself a favor and listen to some different speakers. Definitely try to listen to Paradigm. Try the Titans from their performance series with the PS-1000 as the sub. Thats a good starting point and they sound really good.

14. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

You don't have to get the Klipsch sub w/ those Quintets. You could get the Dayton 10" $125 that many on this board have gotten. If you're not overly concerned about small size and can go a little bigger, I would also recommend the JBL NSP1 w/ that Dayton sub. Maybe even spend a little more on the sub.

15. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The Quintet's are great for the money considering they can be found ~$350 online...much better option than the Bo$e Acoustimess. Even though the Klipsch KSW-10 and KSW-12 subs are much better than the bass module that Bo$e comes with I feel there are much better values(sub-wise). The Dayton 10" budget sub might be a contender for the KSW-10 but not the KSW-12 which is probably what Pat is looking at if it costs ~$400-500. I think a much better option for a sub would be the new Hsu STF-3($400) or the SVS 25-31PCi($550). There realy is no comparison between them and the Klipsch KSW subs.

Here's one other thing to conisder, if you were considering the Acoustimess 16, you can get the Klipsch Reference satellites and a sub within the same budget. They are HUGE step up in performance over the Quintet's. IMO, they are the best sounding sat's I've heard.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you won't find these or any Klipsch Reference speaker at Best Buy. You'll have to locate a Klipsch Reference dealer if you want to take a listen. Just go to www.klipsch.com and click on dealer locator at the top of the page.

16. While you are at it, you might want to check out the Energy Encore (higher end mini's) or Energy take 5.2's (comperable to the quintets).

17. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I picked up the following system, after auditioning Bose, Infinity, Polk, Klipsch, and Paradigm:

2 Paradigm Titans (front)
    1 Paradigm CC-170 (center)
    2 Atoms (rear)
    1 PDR 10'Sub

All of this was considerally less than the Bose AMS.

18. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

That should make for an outstaning system but I think I would consider a different subwoofer.

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Very nice setup indeed. [​IMG]

I really like paradigm, a GREAT way to start out this HT disease [​IMG].

20. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Pat,

If you seriously have $1300 to drop on a satellite system, look at the M&K K5 package which comes with their sub and speaker stands for around $1500. Also the Energy Encores are great for around $1100 with sub and stands. I honestly couldn't think of a better satellite system though than the M&K K7's which'll run you $1700. If you have to save a little more for a competent speaker system DO IT. I assure you if you go with the suggestions I listed here, you will be hard pressed to upgrade anytime soon.

Reg