What's new

Klipsch Cinema 400 - sub buzz/rattle (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I picked up a Cinema 400 last year when we moved to tide us over until we get in the new house. I think the sub may be blown or damaged - it buzzes/rattles/vibrates pretty badly during dialogue, some is worse than others. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? I know "blown" subs are a thing, but we generally don't listen very loud (we're in an apartment, after all). It's bad enough that we've just unplugged it and use the sound bar only, which is marginally better than just TV speakers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, that sounds like a fried voice coil. It can also make a "scratching" sound.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I pulled the driver out but couldn't find any markings on it. So it will just be a crapshoot as to what to get from PE.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Just got a Dayton 4 Ohm standard replacement. It was like $65. The Klipsch one wasn't much more than paper with a tiny magnet. The Dayton should outperform it I would think.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you saying the Klipsch is cheap, overpriced crap? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Are you saying the Klipsch is cheap, overpriced crap? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you.
No, I would NEVER put down a mass-marketed mainstream manufacturer, lol.

In all honesty, it really leaves a lot to be desired. I made an impulse buy for something "on sale" without doing my standard "research it to death" process. I needed something that was supposed to be a temporary solution and ended up with something that will get relegated to the garage once we get moved in. I'll have to replace it with a bit more substantial soundbar setup once we get moved in. The way the new house is, I won't be able to do anything more than a soundbar/sub for the main living area. I'll have my theater set up in the bonus room.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Dayton8.jpg

Here are the two for comparison. The Dayton is a much nicer piece.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Definitely sad. To make matters worse, now the amp has died. It won't power up. I suppose I could have damaged something during the driver removal, but unlikely. I've got a plate amp on the way from PE. I'll lose the wireless portion of it, but thankfully the soundbar has a sub out.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
New twist, the Klipsch amp just had a loose power connection inside. However, it still wouldn't play. So, I got the cutout enlarged on the original enclosure with the new driver and amp mounted. It sounds OK from what I can tell, I haven't had a chance to really fine tune anything or fiddle with it. I basically just plugged it in and made sure it would play.

EDIT: I'll get the new enclosure fabricated at a later date. I might also try to snag the Bluetooth module from the Klipsch amp and see if I could hook that up to the Yung amp so I could still use the wireless connectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks