Klipsch Center Channel Question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jim-Luc, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

I just got a pair of Klipsch KLF-30's and need a center channel was thinking of getting a Klipsch RC-7 since it is the top of the line or should i try to find a KLF-C7 ? I dont think they make the KLF-C7 any more but i may be able to find a used one on ebay or somwhere else. Would it realy matter that much if i went with the RC-7? i dont think its a timbre match but the KLF-30's are the predecessor to the R7's what do you all think?

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

You can find KLF-C7's on ebay every so often, or go over to the Klipsch BB and check the For Sale section.

Might want to consider what I did: bought a Scratch & Dent KLF-10 and converted it into a center. Works very nicely with my 30's & 20's.

3. Jim-Luc

Jim-Luc Extra

Thats an idea but im just wondering how differnt the klf c-7 is from the RC-7 and if the RC would work

4. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I do not think you would be happy with the timbre (mis-)match between the KLF30 and the RC7:

Timbre matching is crucial in HT, especially on well engineered recordings, with a lot of panning between the mains and center. Don't settle for anything other than another Legend speaker for your center. I speak from experience...

Only another KLF30, or a KLF-C7, are going to get you a realistic front soundstage.

I originally tried an RC3 with my Fortes, and the mismatch was so evident, I got rid of it within a month of purchase.

KLF-C7's pop up on ebay frequently; expect to pay around $300 (a bargain, IMHO)... that's how I got mine over year ago (but have since swapped it out for an Academy, since my mains are Heritage series).